Sasquatch II. | SouthernPaddler.com

Sasquatch II.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
G'day Mick, That is one big canoe that I'm sure you can handle no problem. Your right about the lines, She's a beaut! I'm sure Robin will give you a boost to car top or are you gonna trailer that hawg? Can't wait to see the build piccies. Please keep us posted.

Chad

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
A fella jest up the river frum me makes these. I reckon all the paddlin' geezers kin find a spot in it.

seedtick.....browse this site. They also carve some dugouts.

http://www.island63.com/expeditions.cfm

Notice the expedishun startin' at Rosedale. Notice it sez "moonshine"? Perry Martin had some of hiz stills over on Big Island. He iz the fella I wuz tellin' ya'll bout the other day. They used ta sell hiz whiskey at the dock where the Queen Elizabeth boat tied up in New York City.

Guviment fellas on junkets all over the world used ta ask Ole Walter Sillers ta join up with 'em.....not cuz they cared fer Walter, they jest wanted him ta bring the sippin' whiskey along. :wink:

JEM

Now THAT is a big canoe! :shock: :shock:

milliniumcrew.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Thanks for the comments. :D

Our previous Canadian was only a 14 footer, made from fibreglass and was pretty heavy. It was a fine boat, but a little short to cover many miles effeciently and somehow, felt a little tippy even though it was pretty wide for an Australian boat. It was also a slow boat and I think was more designed for versatility than paddle ease.

I never really liked it that much but it seems that Robin did though she never told me till after I sold it. (she thinks I should have known) :shock: :shock: :D

We don't have the water where I live to really justify such a big boat but I have allways wanted a big canadian canoe and I think this is the prettiest S&G big canoe I have seen.

Re the weight, I am going to try to keep that to a minimum. There are only 4 sheets of ply in it and i have managed to source some Gabboon BS1088 marine ply in 4mm (5/32") that is supposed to be around 5 pounds per sheet lighter than the cheap ply that I have been using.

I reckon 60 - 65 pounds is achievable but time will tell. :p

Hope to start construction in September. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

Joe Ferell built a small canoe from cedar strips for his enjoyment. I might as well say for ours also since you can pack everything in there for three guys and still have some room.

We had a lot of stuff with us but Joe picked up the extra in his little stripper canoe. As you can see it is quite a shallow draft boat.

It is only 20 feet and if you want a moterised (3hp) paddle on the stern.:D
eglades%20032.jpg

Photo taked from the trips section .. Everglades 2006 #2.
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2321

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Beautiful boat Chuck!!

Looks a bit like a White Guide ? modified? I have never seen one in the flesh but been drooling over them for years.

Where we want this boat for specifically for is our Noosa Everglades.

Here is a link to a commercial mob that run canoe safaries throughout the area. They pretty much have a monopoly on all the best put ins and my experiences with them leads me to think they are not very nice people. I won't use them or their facilities. They think they own the area (and all the national park surrounding their enterprise)

http://www.elanda.com.au/bigmap.htm

Easiest put in is at Elanda Point and then about a 5 mile paddle along the northern shore of Lake Catharaba to the start of the upper Noosa River and Everglades and from there, about 25 miles or so is paddleable upstream to the various wilderness camp sites.

There is a 4 wheel drive track to Harry's Hut that is well into the upper Noosa River, but it really is a goat track and can take several hours in wet weather to reach the put in. There are nearly allways a couple of dozen foriegn back-packer types camped there and they are allways on the bum for anything they can get. I wouldn't like to leave my car there.

A sea kayak is ideal for the lake crossing but all the take outs up stream are very steep too and involve climbing out of a kayak into about 4 feet of water. The mad buggers have installed vertical log landins at most of the camp sights that have made things allmost impossible for kayakers.

A big canoe with pretty good choppy water capability is a better alternative I think. A small motor on the back for the crossing would be a bonus. The lake is pretty big and very shallow (average depth is only about 4 feet) The prevailing SE winds can make the northern shoreline chop up pretty bad at times.