satilla river trip | SouthernPaddler.com

satilla river trip

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
me & my buddy went canoeing the 19th & 20th on the big satilla. we put in @ jamestown outside of blackshear. we were going to lewis landing , never made it.

river was 4' @ waycross, needed to be 7' or 8 ' . we went probally about 8 or 10 miles. this is a little river not very wide or deep. since i didn,t know this river i agreed to go with my buddy.

i aint never pulled over so many logs & went under logs in my life. chuck like u say a few strainers makes it exciting i believe u would got tired of them.

i was in my old town guide 14.7 & he was in a gruman. i was carrying about 100 to 150 pounds of cargo i,m asuming. it handled good when we had water. had lots more room.

we still had a good time . we caught fish & cooked them & yes dem gritz too. my buddy hauled his guitar all the way too. sounded good on river. :)

u guys with the piro,s if me & him didn,t turn our canoes over then i don,t think u need to worry about ur piro,s. we even stood up alot , no problem . like i said u get he feel of it .

seen four deer & three turkeys.

the only bad luck i had was on the morning we took out i came to the landing which was dirt. i got out unloaded two or three item,s. i looked behind them about 5 feet there lay the biggest daimond back rattler ive seen coiled up . 12 rattlers , how i didn,t step on him i don,t know. some one was watching out for me.

it was cool that morning i think he had been there all night .

well mick since i still got about 5 more months to learn how to post & on my dinosar i guess u geezers will have to just read. :cry:

still a bad day on water is better than a good day @ work. :D :lol: (cat)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend cat,

Not bad. We like pichurs, but take what we kin git. Glad ya didnt step on Mister No Shoulders. Too bad ya caint bust loose next week 'n visit in the Smokies.....but first ya gotta pledge ta the "Git Chuck Some Gas Fund". This iz fer hiz jeep.....he 'n methane iz old friends. :wink:

I drove "way cross Georgia" once on my way ta the St. Mary where I met some of the sorriest fellas I ever seen on water. :wink:

regards
bearridge

There wuz these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the bathroom. One fellar sez, "The water's cold" and the other fellar sez, "The water's deep". I believe one fella come from Arkansas. Get it? Karl Childers "Slingblade"

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
You said it Cat..... A bad day on water beats a good day at work!
Sounds like you still had a good time.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Cat,

Good story mate. Can you attach piccies to an email? If so, why dontcha send them to me and I'll re-size them and stick em in for ya. :D

Here is one I thought an old timber (lumber?) man like you might enjoy. :D

Hoop Pine.

This one is young-ish old growth. Beautiful timber, straight grained, pretty knot free and lovely stuff to work with. Many older Aussie homes were completely built with this stuff. My house is. :D All walls are 7 inch X 7/8" tongue and groove boards.

IMG_1038Small.jpg

Old Growth, Aussie Western Red Cedar. :D

IMG_1140Small.jpg

Look what I found. :D :D

IMG_0888Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
very nice Mick.....the pichurs 'n yer offer.

regards
bearridge

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means. Clarence Darrow

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea bear i would like to post pics. like mick told me he said it took him about 6 months to learn how to post. i have alot i would like to share. i guess i still got about 4or 5 months to learn. :lol:

i don,t no if it,s the operatur or my old slow dino puter . i,m on dial up . maybe i need to up grade. i don,t have much patience on waiting for it to load.

hope u have a great time next week in the smoky,s. if gas keeps going up chucky aint the only one uyall be taking a gas fund up for. :x :evil:

mick i bet ur inside house is pretty. i have tounge & groove on my ceiling & floors. those are some mighty big ole trees. there ain,t much left around here like that. paper company,s done cut all of it. :( :cry:

i live on the altamaha we don,t have much old growth along it .they cut right up to the bank. i did see alot on the satilla the other day i was impressed how much was left there still. we used to have some pretty forest & swamps here to them guys cut it .

bear i know dem sorry people wouldn,t be paddling geezers. :lol:

havent paddled the stmarys or sunwanee , i hear both are pretty rivers. looking forward to it though.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Cat, We don't have a lot of Old gowth left either. Most of what is left is now protected in National Parks and I don't think will ever be cut.

More and more people here are starting to undersand just how grand these lovely old trees are. Any government that decided to allow logging them now would be doing so at its own peril.

We used to have millions of acres of rainforest like that, right up and down the Queensland and norther New South Wales coastline. Now, there are only remnant pockets and a few large tracts like where those were taken. Would you believe thay are within a two hour drive from our capitol city - Brisbane.

sorry to hijack ya thread mate. will do a seperate post on this special place.