Sauteed Onions | SouthernPaddler.com

Sauteed Onions

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tonight is cold , rainy and something good for supper will pick up our spirits....

So ...... it is , open a cold beer, get some steaks out of the frig , heat up the grill. While the grill was warming up the wife cut up some new potatoes , added some butter (garlic) naturally and put them in a bowl for the microwave.

I put the steaks on the grill and then went inside and located a softball size onion. Cut off the top and the bottom , skinned it and then cut it into 4 pieces. Then those quarters were sliced across the grain about 4 times leaving quarter size pieces of the onions rings.

Took a sautee pan and put them in there , added some olive oil , then went out to check on the steaks , flipped them and went back in the house.

Kicked on the burner for the stove and started sauteening the onions , added salt & pepper to them , stirred and flipped them. When they started to turn I added a couple pats of butter and some diced up garlic ..... mixed them up again to keep them happy.

Checked on the steaks and then back to the onions.... Transulent by now so it was a couple of good pinches of sugar sprinkled over them .... stiring them all the time.

Only a couple (2) minutes the edges started to turn brown (carmelised from the sugar) so off the heat and set aside. The residual heat in the pan will cook them a little more , best to take them off the burner sooner then later. ( I like to have them with some crunch left in them)

Out to get the steaks , on the plates then the garlic potatoes and the sauteed onions for supper.

Sometimes I use Honey in place of the sugar and sometimes I like to have strips of bell pepper in with the onions , they both complement each other when cooked together. Just depends on what is here at the house.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Throw some mushrooms in those onions for my steak Chuckles. Couple of sliced bell peppers would be nice. Gets me anudder bear...OOPS....I mean beer while your in the kitchen Pal. I'll take my steak medium Buddy. You have any sour cream and chives for the baked tater? :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
And, maybe he could get us some after dinner mints too? Real nice if he would. I might come to his restaurant again, sometime.

Be sure to leave him 50 cents for a tip, Jimmie. Don't wanna spoil him none.