Saw these 2 while out this past weekend | SouthernPaddler.com

Saw these 2 while out this past weekend

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
nice....I like ta watch otters, but we dont have any round here, so they mite be more of a pest than I realize. We have nutria, but it jest aint the same. :wink:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bear,
I you would like to get rid of your big rats I'll send you some alligators. They love them. Some folks over east of me eat them also. We hardly ever see nutria around here anymore. Used to be about eleventyeight thousand of them. They would burrow up in the canal banks and cause blowouts.
Bob

lil'moe

Jan 8, 2009
Lapland, IA
up here in lapland, otters are a pest in the farm ponds-they just clean one of fish in a short time. But we also have the muskrats to burrow in the dams and sometimes cause leaks and blow outs. I guess every thing has to eat and have a place to live.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Part of the Econ ( a non paddled section , by the weekend crowd ) has the otters in it and they are fun to watch. Same with a section of puzzle lake ( off the beaten path). There they will come up pretty close to a canoe before they scoot off. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bob,

The game 'n fish law bring gators round ta keep the beavers frum floodin' the fields. It dont take long ta thin 'em out. Then they come git the gator 'n take him ta live in anuther ditch 'er bayou fer a few months.

Lance 'n some of hiz boys went down ta the Ross Barnett lake jest outside Jackson ta kill a gator. These gators keep the little pardners frum swimmin'....purty much ruined the lake. They didnt git there on their own. They didnt bring 'em ta chomp down on beaver. The "Save the Gator" folks got scairt the folks in Louisiana mite kill all the gators (I reckon fer belts 'n Bruno Mali shoes) so they brung a mess of 'em up ta keep 'em safe. :?

The game 'n fish law hold raffles 'n if ya draw a good number ya git ta kill a gator. Lance 'n Jeff got a big one. Pichurs in the paper like piper with the bows. It wuz kinda like in Jaws when this ole woman came up while they wuz lookin' at the gator on the bank. Lance sez something bout "one less gator...." Her face turnt dark 'n stormy 'n she sez "I wish ya'll would come back ever day til ya kill all them sobs". Lance sez "yes maam".

It wuz also like Jaws when all the high powered, high dollar boats loaded down with headlites, sireens 'n such went flyin' round the lake whilst Lance 'n the boys unloaded hiz workboat. They let the dentists 'n lawyers all take off 'n az they wuz bout ta shove off, this ole game law come up 'n sez...."I seen a big one jest round the corner up in the weeds not too long ago". They listened 'n got that gator.

I missed out on the eatin'. Dont know if Lance haz any Bruno Mali boots. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Fried gator tastes like chicken ta me. :roll:

Newt... Well, adios, boys. Hope you won't hold it against me. Never meant no harm. Jake Spoon

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bob,

I never seen any in there either, but they got a really good price on Communist Crocs. Reckon they sell Bruno shoes at J.C. Penny? I'll send a email ta the jail where they got O.J. 'n see where he got hiz.

regards
bearridge

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty. John Adams

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Saw a pair about a year ago on the first overnighter in the pirogue. They had about a 1# bass up on the bank when I disturbed them. On my way back the next day, I saw them again and had a little fun.

When they saw me, they dove under and swam away. I could tell where they were going by the little trail of bubbles they left. I eased along behind them until they popped up several yards away. They were looking where they THOUGHT I was and instead I was right on top of them. They gave a little snort and dove again. I played cat and mouse with them for several minutes. I smile just thinking about their surprised expressions.

wrhester

funny

that's what I was sorta doing, but not in my boat. There was a little bit of a levee and they were playin on the other side. At the end of the video they jumped in the water and swam away...I snuck around and outa sight. Came up on them about 60 yards further down on the bank again. They saw me but stayed. I then ducked down again and got closer. This time I surprised them and they jumped in the water again. They played around about 30 yrds off the bank before I headed out.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I will see your two otters, and raise you this........
P3070008.jpg

Was paddling Hickey Creek down near ALva, Florida last weekend, this was in somebody's back yard right where Hickey Creek runs into the Caloosahatchee River (near Highway 80). There was a llama also, but he was kinda camera shy.

DM

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
I used to pass by a house on the way home from work that had two camels in the yard. They've been gone for a few years now. I have no idea where they came from, or where they went. The chain-link fence still shows where they reached waaay over to get that greener grass on the other side! Apparently, residential chain-link fencing isn't the best way to contain camels. :wink:

Mike

wrhester

Can't say I ever saw any camels while paddling. I've seen a lot of different things over the years and travels, but the most worriesome was a time I was in Chile (see Tall Tales post) paddling the Maipo river just south of the capitol. We were about to enter a small, sheer wall gorge and needed to scout from the top of it. I got out on the right and hiked a short way up to the top while looking at the river as I went. I never did look right...only at the river. My buddy caught up to me and as we walked, we talked and scouted the river. After we reached the top, we heard a "click, click". We turned around and there were 2 guys with machine guns pointing them at the ground in front of us. Scared me for a sec, but then I said in broken spanish that we needed to look at the river to be safe. I didn't know if they understood me, but I turned and took 2 more steps to scout the last bit. Figured the risk of running the canyon blind was higher than that. Plus, it was obvious that we were a threat wearing our pfd's and helmets. I got to see what we needed so I turned back, waved at them, said Gracias and walked back to the boats. A little scared, but knew that they wouldn't shoot.
Turns out it was the Former President Pinochet's former home.
Still no camels, but have seen an Alpaca in Kentucky.