screws vs nails | SouthernPaddler.com

screws vs nails

islandpiper

my first boats were built with drilled and countersuck brass screws.....the I DISCOVERED silicon bronze ring shank nails....wow. Anybody want to comment on their opinions of the nails vs screws? i prefere nails for spped, simplicity and even pullout strength. back to work. Islandpiper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Uhh, I don't use metal of any kind in my boats. With a frame boat, maybe you have to. with stitch & glue, you don't. They are a fully monocoque construction - all their strength comes from the skin, like an egg.

I also avoid moving parts. KISS I don't even like take-apart paddles.

I'm likely a bit odd in this, so listen to others too. (Although, they'll be odd too.)

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
Maybe you are talking about building bigger boats, but my first 2 canoes don't have any metal in them at all, even the thwarts are installed with dowels, epoxy and fiberglass. My last canoe has 4 stainless screws in it just so I can move the seat back and forth to trim it, I got fancy on that one ;-) I will have to agree with Jack, I am odd too :) jk. The way most of our canoes and kayaks have been built there is just no need for a screw or nail at all.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I must admit that there are two pieces of stovepipe wire remaining in one of my kayaks. They twisted off and got left behind. And, when I fasten pad eyes to the side of the boats so I can attach inflatable sponsons, I have to use stainless steel machine screws. But, I use no metal structurally - only epoxy & fiber glass.

A purist? No, just odd. As I said, I don't like moving parts, either. (Moving parts don't, and leak proof tanks do.)

But, I would recommend that you use whatever suits you. A nice thing about building our own boats is that, we can use many options that WE prefer. To heck with what someone else likes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
But, I would recommend that you use whatever suits you. A nice thing about building our own boats is that, we can use many options that WE prefer. To heck with what someone else likes.

I agree with Jack about building wood boats and you will not find any metal in my boats. I use screws to hold them together till the epoxy dries then the screws are removed. :D

Chuck.

islandpiper

lots of nails

Actually, I agree that no metal is necessary, but I use those silocone bronze nails anyway so that the DNR could find my remains and the gator that ate me and my boat with a metal detector.......If I had a plate in my head I guess I wouldn't need the nails.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well Hell! I'm taking my salad bowl helmet and pedalling out of here. YOU keep watch for the Martians. This ex-yooper is gonna ruin a perfectly good place.

Next thing ya know, that big Indian will talk, and take the drinking fountain with him to boot.

islandpiper

Actually I was heaaring voices just fine....they kept saying things like "fix the faucet, and remodel the little bathrrom, and is the yard mowed yet?.....so I made one of those tinfoil hats and the voices stopped....for a while.

And just remember the UP is the REAL MICHIGAN and the LP is the OTHER MICHIGAN......dog-gone trolls.........I just got tired of having to put ice-breaker bows on all my boats.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hey, Piper-type Buddy, you done fell from the land of gloss to the land of dross. Louisiana is almost all river mud, built up form the Mississippi (which should be called the Missouri because it is longer). I lived in Alexandria for a year and a half prior to departing for South East Asian terrain.

I like the UP too. Planning a trip there September '07, the Saturday after Labor Day. Any interest? For that matter, THIS September (again, Saturday after Labor Day) we're going to Lake Mijinemungshing about 87 miles north of the Soo. You might enjoy a lake fulla loons (and some loony characters along the bank too). Lemme know?