Sea kitten chowder. | SouthernPaddler.com

Sea kitten chowder.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
In a heavy three quart pot, at medium low heat, try out about two ounces of salt pork, diced about a quarter inch. (Remove the rind)
When the salt pork is translucent, pitch in a good sized, diced yellow onion. Stir gently for a few minutes, and add a pound of Yukon gold, or Pontiac potatoes. (Any potato will do, but the waxy ones fare better.)
Cover, but stir often for about five minutes
Increase heat a bit, and cover veggies liberally with milk. You'll want about two inches of milk over the vegetables.
Just as an occasional bubble breaks the surface of the milk, add a pound, pound and a half, two pounds of Sea Kitten (in this case, it's river or lake channel kitten or yellow kitten or blue kitten).
The Sea Kitten needs to be in about a one inch cube.
Heat again to a simmer, stirring very gently, or you will break up the Sea Kitten.
Turn off heat.
Cover, and let it rest a few minutes while you tear a fresh baggette into serving sized pieces, and get out the butter.
Add black pepper to the chowder, but be sure to taste it before adding salt. The salt pork has a lot of salt, and I don't leach it for this recipe.

Variants: I have been known to toss in a handful of red bell pepper with the onion, and/or a clove of minced garlic.
Nearly everyone likes the bell pepper, most people dislike the garlic. (I like it though.)