Second Boat Build, First Cedar Strip Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Second Boat Build, First Cedar Strip Boat

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I finally got started on my cedar strip boat this weekend. Putting all these strips together is slow and will take a little longer to build than my first plywood boat. I will try and keep you posted with the build as get more done. I am building a big guy 3 panel fishing boat out of 1 inch cedar strips. The boat will be a 16 footer x 31.5 inches at the sheer with a bottom width of 26 inches. The sides will be 10 inches high with a 75 degree flare. It will have approximately 4 foot stripped decks with an 8 foot open cockpit if I am able to complete it. I am making the panels out of the cedar strips and will then build it in the stitch and glue manner. ET

Here is my trailer I just had made. I put the truck rack on it this weekend.

IMG_1503.jpg

Cedar strips and panels built this weekend.

IMG_1440-1.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

The bottom is all glued up and ready to sand.

IMG_1516.jpg

Fore and aft bulkhead panels ready to glue up.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I am kind of using Brazos Boat Works Brazos River Boat as a model but the foot print is my choice to try and make it for someone just under 300 pounds. Here is a picture of a Brazos Boat Works boat I am trying to copy somewhat, but mostly winging it. :roll: ET
From_the_bow.jpg

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
Sanded both sides of the sides of the boat today. I decided to go ahead and do a saturation coat of expoxy on the panels before I cut and assemble them. :roll:
IMG_1524.jpg

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
As soon as it is dry it will be ready to put the bottom on and place the bulkheads against the bulkhead ribs. The center rib will be removed before glassing.

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg