second favorite air rifle target | SouthernPaddler.com

second favorite air rifle target

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
My favorite is still 1" cypress balls shot off the tree at 20-28 yards. My second favorite is wild mallow ?? ..... we just call them elephant ears. Slim stalks( about the size of your little finger or smaller) and large heavy leaves make for a challenging reactive target at 30 yards. If you hit it just right, it just falls over. If you just graze it , it just EASES down slowly.

100_1001.jpg

The ones still standing across the bayou are at approx. 50 yards. I'm stll working on those. :mrgreen:

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is what Google has..................

Elephant Ears and Edible Landscaping -- Taro Root:

For those of us interested in the ornamental value of Colocasia esculenta, the common name, "elephant ears" is apt, since we are impressed with the size of its leaves. But those with a culinary bent think of the plant as "taro" or "coco yam," in which case the focus is usually on its root, or corm.

According to Wilfred Lee ("Ethnobotanical Leaflets," Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, 1999), "Taro constituted the staff of life for the Hawaiians when Captain Cook arrived in the islands in 1778. At that time an estimated three hundred thousand people in the islands lived chiefly on poi (a fermented or unfermented taro paste), sweet potato, fish, seaweed, and a few green vegetables and fruits."

Nonetheless, all parts of elephant ear plants can upset the stomach if ingested without being properly cooked first. The sap, moreover, can be a skin-irritant.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Recipes........Cooks dot com. ( These you would like , they are pastries not from the green stuff )
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,e ... rs,FF.html

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Hey, anybody want to buy some taro?? I gots plenty. :mrgreen:

Not sure, but I think it's a non-native species. There was none along the bayou when I moved here 17 years ago. A few years ago they just sprung up for 10 miles along the bayou. They will smother out any other water plant.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Elephantears are tough to kill. Takes a lot of surfactant to cut through the was on them. :?: Wonder how Vodka would work :?:
Bob

Then it would taste like Scotch since they say the stuff in the plant is an irritant and scotch drinkers are usually irritating. Not all of them. Just a select few of the single malt ones ( Yankees) that don't like Southern Bourbon or Georgia Moonshine. I guess the Scotch brings out the best in them. :roll:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
oldsparkey said:
Wannabe said:
Elephantears are tough to kill. Takes a lot of surfactant to cut through the was on them. :?: Wonder how Vodka would work :?:
Bob

Then it would taste like Scotch since they say the stuff in the plant is an irritant and scotch drinkers are usually irritating. Not all of them. Just a select few of the single malt ones ( Yankees) that don't like Southern Bourbon or Georgia Moonshine. I guess the Scotch brings out the best in them. :roll:

Scotch mixed with grapejuice just ain't bad. :roll:
Bob

( What in the world do you have against Grapefruit Juice.......Chuck )

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bob, I've been laxed killing them, but normally Roundup sprayed in the very hottest part of the day will kill them deader than a hammer.