Sept 7th 2007 Quetico Park | SouthernPaddler.com

Sept 7th 2007 Quetico Park

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
QP,

You have just blown my mind mate! :shock: :shock:

What a brilliant effort.

Great piccies and places and some superb strippers :shock: Thank you for sharing! :shock: :D

I don't know how to post the link but one of the very early stripper canoes with a very strong recurve bow particularly appeals to me. Could you please post some more information on this boat mate.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not to rain on your parade.........

Canada has some beautiful areas in it but I have seen places here in the states just as nice , if not better.
Call me nasty but after my last trip and the only trip up there that I will ever do , they can have it. I wanted to get there all my life and now I know why it always got shot down before I could make it.

Everyone needs to go there one time in there life to experience it.

I can paddle here in the states and see the same landscape and a lot more that is just as nice or a lot nicer. It just doesn't have the Canada handle on it.

Please for the guy's keep the pictures coming , Heck , Even I will look at them and enjoy your fun. :D
Fortunetly not all of us want to paddle in the same places and this is what makes life so interesting. It lets us share in all of the experiences that we do. Then a person can decide what or where they want to go for some fun. By the way , those are some great pictures and it looks like you were having one good time.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck, Toronto is not Canada any more than Miami is Florida. You didn't see any wild country, climb the crags, paddle the waters, see hte stars, hear the loons at night, etc.

But, remain in the South.

qpassage

Rain on my parade eh! :lol:

Buddy let me just tell you about Canadian weather.
Lets see the day we shoved off they had 9 inches dumped the day before. We felt lucky :shock:
Then it rained, stopped and the wind blew, oh then it rained some more. Everyday in fact until the last day woke up and it was snowing, which turned to sleet along with 30 mph winds blowing us across a 15 k lake.

I had much the same feeling after my first Quetico trip 19 years ago. In fact, I believe my exact words were NEVER AGAIN. That lasted for about 8 months then there I was heading north again.
Quetico is an experience unlike any other. Compared to the BWCA just to the south it gets about 1/4 the people. We saw people the first day morning of the next. Then had the park to ourselves for the next 5 days.

I agree the USA has places as good, but I'm hard pressed to say better.
Old Sparky, if you ever get that call to visit the North Country again. Please email me or ask on the board. I can set you up with a trip of a lifetime. OH! Yes almost forgot to ask, do you like to fish? :lol: Those pics will make there way in the next few weeks. I took a magic machine with me this year. Brought home 14 gig "about 6 hours" of video. Took almost 1000 pictures. More will be posted as I get through the editing.
My partner likes to play jokes so I have to go through each one very carefully. Examples found thus far are snoring in the tent, dirty sock on face while sleeping, and mooning the photographer. That one I knew was in there :roll:

Until I get a report together I'll just keep posting bits and pieces.

Enjoy the Sunset. This is the original picture no photoshop effects other than frame and copyright.

1.jpg

qp

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
qpassage

My guess is that my trip would of been about the same as going to New York City and expecting it to be like upper New York State.

I might see Canada again but it will be a pass threw while driving up to Alaska on the Alcan Highway. Always wanted to got o Alaska and I have a childhood friend living up there , boy would he be surprised to see me after all these years.
Another dream has always been to paddle part of the Yukon River , not all of it just some of the headwaters area. An area like from Camacks to Dawson , I understand the fishing in there is what dreams are made of.

"O" well a person has to have dreams. :wink:

Chuck.

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
I'll have to agree with Q...

I am a southern boy and have canoed and camped a fair amount. I have never been anywhere that came close to Quetico. I have been 3 times and planning a trip for next year. The fishing... the solitude...the loons...moose...bear....

Every trip I have taken someone new and everytime they are hooked. Yep...something special about northern canoe country.

4sons