Serious but Funny | SouthernPaddler.com

Serious but Funny

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Glad these gentlemen are ok. Many lessons here for us geezers. It could have had a bad outcome.
Funny though because it shows typical stereotyped "old" people behavior. Or. it might just be typical "people" behavior and funny because they were old enough to know better. I'm wondering what their usernames might be?

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sounds to familiar to me , it's all those rescues that were made while on Range and Water patrol. River wise the county has a total of 98 miles of rivers. Three main rivers , St Johns , Wekive and the Econ with small tribuitars on all three. The St Johns runs between Seminole and Volusia County so we helped with there cases & they helped with ours.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I carry - on my oerson, not stowed in baggage - an ACR brand Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) registered with NOAA. I hope that it’s a total waste.

BUT - should I have to call in the cavalry, it sends an SOS, in my name, to the satellites worldwide, and the cavalry is dispatched.

About $280-290. Cheaper than a funeral. But, as I said, I hope that, like the air bags on my car, it’s a total waste.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack....
I have one also , it went with me on all the trips , both land and water. Never had to use it but I would rather have it and not need it then to not have it and need it. It was a so called insurance policy for all of us on those trips.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yo look at it as I do. A few years ago, I recommended it to a lady who ran a gift shop I was shopping in. We got to talking about walking through fields and woods, and she mentioned how her husband walked the woods alone, and sometimes came home later than planned. She worried of course. Don’t know if she got one. Good insurance.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
With my medical problems it seamed like a good idea. Then taking into consideration the guy's I went with , most of them had medical problems so it sounded like a lot better idea. Then thinking about Vince hugging that large Shark he got off the cape on the one canoe trip , it sounded like something I should really have with me. In that area ( Everglades 10,000 island ) contact with the outside world is null and void with normal means. Heck most of the areas I have been in by myself or with the guys , contact by normal means was usually out of the question. Cell phones made good paper weights for the most part. Something that really reached out and touched someone was needed.
Like you felt , Better safe then sorry.