SHAD RECIPE | SouthernPaddler.com

SHAD RECIPE

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
CHUCK WAS READING ONE OF YOUR EARLIER POST WHERE YOU MENTIONED SHAD. YEA THEY ARE SORTA BONEY , OILY & STRONG FISH. YOU HAVE TO AQIRE A TASTE FOR THEM. I LIKE THE MEAT & ROE. ROE MIGHTY FINE WITH THEM HEN EGGS SCRAMBLED UP .HAVE HEARD OF CANNING THEM , DON,T KNOW HOW. IF YOU COULD GET THE PROCEDURE ON YOUR FRIENDS RECIPE WOULD APPRECIATE IT . ME & MY SON FISH FOR THEM BUT WE USE NETS. HOW DO YOU GUYS CATCH THEM . FLYROD & WHAT BAIT? THANKS (CATFISH)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We fish for them with ultralights spinning outfits or fly rods. Most of the time we use shad darts witch are small jigs and usually red or white and sometimes a combination of the two colors.

My Lt. at the Sheriffs Office would steak them and pickle them in a mason Jar.

Ingredients

* enough fish for four pints
* 5/8 c. pickling salt (not iodized)
* 1 c. whit vinegar
* 2 onions
* 2 c. white vinegar
* 2 c sugar
* 1 c. white sherry whine (at least 20 proof)
* 1/4 box pickling spices

Directions
Cut fish into bite size pieces. Cover with pickling salt and 1 c. vinegar. Let stand for 5 days in fridge. Remove and wash until water is clear. Cover with cool water for 1 hour. then drain well. Slice the onions. (they are as good as the fish).

Make a brine of 2 c. whit vinegar, 2 c. sugar, 1 c. whit sherry wine and 1/4 box pickling spice. Heat the brine, but do not boil, then cool it.

Place alternate layers of fish and onions into pints. Fill jars with brine and close. refridgerate. Ready to eat within 24 hours.

Chuck.