Shed Antler Hunting | SouthernPaddler.com

Shed Antler Hunting

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Wife and I took off to the lease for a day of messing around and shed hunting. We looked for quite a while without any luck. We moved to my bow stand and took off separate directions. I wasn't really watching where I was going and walked into this before I noticed it. (notice the eyes)

My .17 was back in the ranger so I yelled for her to go get the Ranger and come over to me.

A little one.

And some more.

another little one.

I am positive there is more in this den, and we are going back next weekend to find them, but this is what we ended up with.

Moral of the story is wear your snake boots and watch where you are going (even in short grass).

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Michigan has rattlers more the size of those smaller ones, Massasaugas (Mass-a-SAW-gas). Not generally aggressive. A puzzlment to me is that, several islands in the Great Lakes have them on. How, or WHY, would they venture out several miles across open water?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
When you see a snake swimming in the lake, cast your lure behind them if you want to catch a bass. Bass have been known to follow swimming snakes. They are probably thinking. Can I eat that or not?
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I know they can swim, but to launch blindly into that cold water of a Great Lake isn't something to to be done on a whim or a dare.

And, in these cases, they went from a mainland to an island with more limited resources. Maybe, they started a religious colony? :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
When you see a snake swimming in the lake, cast your lure behind them if you want to catch a bass. Bass have been known to follow swimming snakes. They are probably thinking. Can I eat that or not?
Bob

YEP.... If one is following a snake . I found that a floating black worm with a red tail works really good to get a Bass to hit it. Guess they think of it as a appetizer before the main meal. It also works really good in a bunch of Lilly pads and especially if you snake it from one pad to the other.