Sheridan Blue Streak 1972 , vintage , question | SouthernPaddler.com

Sheridan Blue Streak 1972 , vintage , question

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's ...... Theresa sent this letter to me and I am asking any of you if you can help Theresa.
As far as her problem on the forum ... That I can take care of.

Chuck.

I have tried to get information on this airgun and have not been able to get what I need. I have called both pyramidair and crosman. They recommended a search on the internet for bluebook or just type in "sheridan blue streak 1972". So I tried the later and found you. I hope you can help.

I tried registering on the website but it has been three days and my registration has not been approved yet so I am trying to contact you this way - email.

My father bought the Sheridan Blue Streak when I was a child. From the serial number I did find it was manufactured in 1972. I am searching for a manual, and also where I can get a cleaning kit for the gun. Also instructions on how to clean it.

I remember as a child my father taugh me how to shoot it (I was about 8-9). I remember watching him clean it but the manual and cleaning instruments are nowhere to be found. All I have managed to keep is the gun and the original ammo.

I would also like to find out what this gun may be worth? And where in Ohio (as close to Dover, OH 44622) there is a service dealer - I can take the gun to be cleaned. I would also like to find somewhere I can get ammo and cleaning accessories for the gun ... in my area.

Can you help with any of my questions, or direct me to where I might find these answers.

Thanks for your time. Theresa

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Chuck,

I will holler at Tom so Miz Theresa kin find out whatever she needs ta know bout the gun, but I wanna take a shot at the cleanin' question.

I use the Patchworm on my airguns. I kin always pull away frum the breech.

Fer airguns, ya dont use no Hoppe 'er Sweets 'er such. I jest use Goo Gone. After I run a few Goo Gone patches 'n they come out purty clean, I pull a clean patch thru, then I pull a patch with jest a little bit of oil....then one last clean patch.

It haz been a mitey long time since I cleaned a airgun. They jest dont lead up too often. I hear plenty of tales bout folks overcleanin'. I heard tales of folks usin' WD40 'n ruinin' the gun. I will clean my airguns when they git ta where they dont shootin' straight. :wink:

http://20-20.8m.com/patchworm.html

regards
bearridge

P.S. Buyin' pellets iz eazy. I jest bought $150 worth frum Pyramid Air cuz the shippin' iz free, but first I'd go to Straight Shooters 'n git a pellet sampler....jest ta see what kinda pellets yer gun likes....then contact Pyramid. http://www.straightshooters.com/common/sspelsmp.html

Everybody has their own personal El Guapo, today ours just happens to be the real El Guapo!

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Well Theresa let's get the value question out of the way first because it always seems to be a hanging point. If real estate value can be safely said to hinge on "Location, location & location" then airgun value can be said to be predicated on "Condition, condition & condition". If the gun is in "New In Box' condition in a perfect example of the original shipping carton with all the original paperwork and hang-tags and never been shot then it is a totally different can of worms from a used gun in good, used shape. The Model 'C' you have is known in the airgun fraternity as the 'rocker safety' model and is generally ceded to be the most desireable model Sheridan from a user standpoint.

As yet they have no significant collector value unless in the above described NIB condition. In such a case there is no fixed 'book' value and it boils down to what the buyer and seller agree upon as a fair exchange.

Once past NIB then value varies based on the condition of the gun, ranging from whatever someone will pay for a non-functional beater suitable only for scavenging for parts (I'd pay from 50 cents to $15 dependant on which parts appear useable) to as much as $100-$125 for a really outstanding example in good shooting order with a well cared-for finish.

In short you won't be able to send any of your children to an Ivy League school with the sale proceeds and your obvious nostalgia for it and the value you place on it as an icon of your father and your own youth far exceeds any monetary value if I'm reading your post properly.

While Bear has given good advice on cleaning perhaps a few words of explanation are in order. The barrel and compression tube of the gun is made from a good grade of brass. As such the metal is far softer than even the softest iron or steel. Therefore cleaning should be limited to pulling a soft cloth thru the barrel from the breech end ONLY.
The 'crown' (the very end of the muzzle from which the pellet issues) determines to an enormous extent the shooting quality of the gun insofar as accuracy is concerned. Pulling even a soft string thru from the muzzle could very well cause damage because the string (or whatever else you use) can pick up and hold microscopic abrasive material which can damage the soft brass.
My own policy (and I own and have owned many fine Sheridans over the course of 50 years) is to never clean a brass barrel unless accuracy mysteriously and unaccountably deteriates suddenly. In such cases the odds are very much greater that the fodder I'm feeding it has gone to pot rather than that a dirty bore is the culprit. I echo Bear's advice to get a 'pellet sampler' of .20 caliber pellets and shoot them at targets under controlled conditions and let the gun tell you what it wants. A multi-pump pnuematic airgun such as the classic Sheridan ('the Cadillac of American airguns') is normally far less picky about it's diet than the spring-piston powered imports, but there will be a pellet that it prefers; you just have to give it the opportunity to tell you what it is.

As for care and cleaning---do it yourself. If the stock still has most of the original finish on it then it can be preserved by gently rubbing down with 0000 steel wool and putting on a coat of hard floor wax.

If the metal needs cleaning on the exterior then a soft cloth, like a well-worn tee-shirt or old cotton panties, with a bit of mineral spirits (don't use so much that it can squeeze out and migrate into the innards--just slightly dampen the cloth) and a bit of elbow gease will clean most old oily deposits off with a bit of TLC and patience. If it is the 'Silver Streak' nickel plated model you can even use the hard wax on the metal. If it's the black phosphate 'Blue Streak' model then simple cleaning more than suffices.

If the gun is currently in operating condition then caring for the 'innards' is so simple that most people do it wrong. I have seen FAR more pnuematic (pump) guns ruined by using the wrong oil or just simply too much than I have by lack of lube.
The very BEST thing you can do to keep that veteran cheerful into a dependable old age is get a small bottle of 'Crosman Oil' from Crosman and, either once per box of pellets or once a year, place a SINGLE drop of oil on each of the 3 pivot points in the pump linkage. Do NOT put any oil in front of the pump piston.

The 'innards' need so little lubrication that enough will migrate from what you put on the pump linkage to keep it happy. Any other oil you might use will quite likely decrease the life of the internals, some quite sharply. As Bear said WD-40 is NOT your friend with airguns OR firearms.

For expert service to the 'innards' I recommend contacting Ron Sauls at Bryan & Assoc. in Anderson, SC at http://www.bryanandac.com/ Just be aware up front that a rebuild of the internals and the 2 way shipping will probably be very nearly equal to the value of the gun.

If you need further advice you might consider going to the fountainhead at the 'American Vintage Airgun Forum' to ask. http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/

A free ad for an owners manual under the 'bits and pieces' board at that site might yield results and if no original is offered I'll bet you are offered photocopied reprints at little or no charge except for postage.

If I can be of further service you may contact me directly at:
[email protected] HTH, Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

( Tom ... Please forgive me but I opened up your post a bit and activated the links for you... Plus, I want to thank you for sharing your expertise, knowledge and appreciation of air rifles with us. Yep I know it was relaxing and you enjoyed ever minute of it but .... I still want to say ......Thanks.
Chuck )

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
I have a vintage 1960's something Bluestreak and the owner's manual squirreled away somewhere. If I can find the manual, I can scan it and post the pages for you.

Mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

Nice offer, but I'd hold off a bit. We aint heard nuthin' frum Miz Theresa. Mebbe she aint interested no more? I know the High Sheriff coulda got her on here by now.

Ya shoot that Bluestreak often?

regards
bearridge

No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
bearridge said:
Nice offer, but I'd hold off a bit. We aint heard nuthin' frum Miz Theresa. Mebbe she aint interested no more? I know the High Sheriff coulda got her on here by now.

I'm afraid you're right. Ms. Theresa appears to have vanished back into the netherworld of the internet. Perhaps old phartes respond too slowly for her? Ah well, if the Kool-aid Kult fails to prevail she too may live long enough to need 3 days or so to mull over an answer. :wink:

Chuck wrote:
<Please forgive me but I opened up your post a bit and activated the links for you... Plus, I want to thank you for sharing your expertise, knowledge and appreciation of air rifles with us. Yep I know it was relaxing and you enjoyed ever minute of it>

Dang! You know me far too well! :lol:
There's no point it having collected all the 'stuff' that clogs the between-the-ears hard drive if it can't be shared. Too many barked knuckles and stupid moves are required to learn them not to share. Besides, as you well know, airguns are one of my passions and I love helping when I can. But I'll be the first to admit that, like a mule, the first thing you gotta do is get my attention. Bear did that in this case with a PM, to which I responded with something less than my usual breakneck glacial haste. Unfortunately it appears Ms. Theresa was in too much of a rush. I wish her well nevertheless. OF

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's.......................
Theresa sent me this email and explained she was having some troubles with the forum as far as answering the post so she replyed by private message. I am trying to figure out what the problem is so she can post on here.
Chuck.
Anyway - I truely appreciate all you guys time and help!  I haven't forgotten about you.  I found a place locally (well 40 miles from me) that has a very helpful owner who let me bring my gun in and he looked at it and was amazed at the condition considering that I just had the gun stored in a closet for the last 34 years.  He said even the little oring on the "puller"  (LOL I am a woman and not sure of the technical term - I forget what he called it)  looked new!  He said that my Dad must have taken good care of it and when he last put it away that he must have cleaned it & oiled it well.  There was minor surface rust on the outside of the barrel and the trigger.  So minor - I didn;t notice it until he pointed it out.

I did gte to take it out and shoot it and not being a marksman I am not sure how well it shoots.  I guess I will just have to keep trying.  The bad part is I have to load and pump it each time just to shoot it ONCE!  :)  I need an automatic with a clip!   LOL

Anyway ... I have been on this computer too long and must get to bed!

Take care - keep up the good work and tell all the guys at the forum THANKS!

Theresa

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Theresa sent me this email and explained she was having some troubles with the forum as far as answering the post so she replyed by private message.>

Just glad to hear she's enjoying her Sheridan!

Oldsparkey said:
<The bad part is I have to load and pump it each time just to shoot it ONCE!>

Just pretend that it's one of those high-$ exercise machines for building up the pecs as you pump it and it'll make you feel virtuous for exercising as well as enjoying the plinking. :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

I am glad she iz up 'n shootin'. Most of the time I ferget how grateful I oughta be that those young fellas in Philadelphia knew how much we need our shootin' irons. It iz hard ta understand how a country wouldnt look out fer its own folks. :cry:

I bet most of us dont think about how much we owe them fellas....often enuff. Too busy shootin' firecrackers 'n eatin' tater salad I reckon. :?

regards
bearridge

ps Ya'll seen the Iraq constitution? Sad....mitey sad. I reckon they warnt ready fer freedom.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last. Winston Churchill

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
bearridge said:
<I bet most of us dont think about how much we owe them fellas.>

The real problem is that fewer each generation even realize the Founding Fathers existed under the current 'teaching' system in our schools. But you do have to give credit where it's due---the teaching unions have managed to figure out how to keep hungry young minds in captivity for 12 years and prevent education simultaneously. Does anyone see the dichotomy of putting a union, whose primary purpose is extracting the greatest pay for the least work while keeping the least effective employed, in charge of the minds of future generations?

bearridge said:
<Ya'll seen the Iraq constitution?>

That's hardly a Constitution-----unless you consider a reaffirmation of Islamic religious law a Constitution. It is being portrayed by the press as a 'Democratic' document. Nothing could be further from the truth--it merely confirms what we already knew, that Islamic society will not and CANNOT be other than a complete Theocracy.
And another thing :lol: ----spreading 'Democracy' is hardly anything to be proud of as Democracy was second only to royalty as a danger to freedom in the minds of those who penned our seminal documents and is the very reason that this nation was structured as a Republic. Recall the line from the Oath to the Flag? "And to the Republic for which it stands".
But I shouldn't even allow myself to get started! :evil:

MrClampit

Can ya helps me with sum infermashun ?

If I can be of further service you may contact me directly at:
[email protected] HTH, Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

-----

Well now,

Ya knows I ben a lookin' 'n a reedun the sayins heare latley, butt I ain't got no bettur newes than this fer a long time.

I happuns ta have a old Benjumen Silvur Streek.

It pumps 'n it pulls at the littel bolt.

It also goes "burp" when I pulls tha trigger.

Duz anny of ya knows what I can doo ta make it werk ??

Or where ta send it without emptieing my billfold ?

Shure wood like ta have it a werkin' a'gin.

Mebbe I can git it fixxed good 'nuff ta go shoot a cupple a gaters.

Yer friend,

Bud
MrClampit

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bud,

Those two links in Tom's first post oughta do the trick.

regards
bearridge

There are three kinds of men: the one that learns by reading, the few that learn by observation, and the rest of 'em that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Re: Can ya helps me with sum infermashun ?

MrClampit said:
<I happuns ta have a old Benjumen Silvur Streek.>

Let's start by getting on the same page. You may have an old Benjamin OR you may have an old Silver Streak or you may have a Benjamin Silver Streak, in which case it can't be very old since Benjamin hasn't owned the Sheridan name long enough to have pruduced guns with the combined names that can be thought of as old. If it is a Silver Streak it should be .20 caliber as that is the ONLY caliber ever built by Sheridan, a fact honored by Benjamin after they bought Sheridan. That may have changed in recent years since I don't pay much attention to current production. In which case it wouldn't be 'old'. If it is any other caliber it is a Benjamin produced model.
So we need to determine exactly which gun you have because the 'innards' can vary so much that suggestions on curing the problem cannot be addressed 'til we know except by saying "Send it to Bryan & Assoc."
If it is stamped Benjamin Silver Streak by the factory then there's a good chance that you have a gun new enough that you can repair it yourself without the special tools required to work on both older Benjamins and Sheridans.
If it has Sheridan Silver Streak stamped on it then you can figure on sending it out if it needs internal repair.

MrClampit said:
<It pumps 'n it pulls at the littel bolt. It also goes "burp" when I pulls tha trigger. Duz anny of ya knows what I can doo ta make it werk ??>

'Burping' indicates to me that it is pumping and holding to some extent. Perhaps you would term 'belching' as working properly? Frankly you need to give up the colloqial phraseology until we get this figured out because we need to communicate clearly. I'm a big fan of regional dialects and practice both my native Texas tongue and that of the Ozarks where I live but this is one instance where good communication without risk of misunderstanding is required. Then we can both slip back into something more comfortable.;o)

MrClampit said:
<Or where ta send it without emptieing my billfold ?>

Sending it anywhere is going to take about a $10 bite out of your stash and the return shipping will be @ the same so you're $20 out of pocket even if you back out on having it repaired. You can figure on @ $50-$60 for overhauling the internals. And the same amount of labor is required to do the internals completely & properly as to replace a single o-ring so the price would be the same or very close.

MrClampit said:
<Shure wood like ta have it a werkin' a'gin.>

Try telling me exactly what it is or is not doing. Look closely to see exactly what is stamped on the gun, both maker, model and any serial numbers. Describe the position and operation of the safety for me as that will help me pin down the model and year bracket also.
Let me know those things and we'll take it from there. Tom

MrClampit

You shure do know yer guns !!

Well now,

Tom -- Ya ask'd me ta talk so ya can undurstand me.

That may knot bee eazy -- so I'll have my newer wife do the transslatin'.

-----

Bud's first thought with your eloquent response was that you must have gone to school past the 8th grade.

He read about people like that (with a little help from his friends).

NOW --

It is appreciated that you are taking the time to talk about this air rifle.

He found it at a yard sale some time ago & wanted to hang it on the wall, but couldn't find any room, so it is leaning on the wall in our bedroom next to his fishing pole & frog gig.

The air rifle he mentioned is (now that he found someone that can read) -- -- "Sheridan Products, Inc. Racine,Wis-made in U.S.A."

On the other side of the barrel is only "SILVER STREAK"

There is no more writing to be found except near the safety (on the stock behind the bolt) is a small note "hold down to fire".

The stock is wood and has no added shoulder plate.

The bolt has a straight handle with a small round ball on the end.

--

Bud has no pellets (among other things that are missing) but the end of the barrel looks to be about 20 caliber. -- Just a bit smaller than a 22 shell.

The only symptoms noted are that if pumped 5 or 6 times and the bolt is cocked, when the trigger is pulled there is a slight "poof" burp sound.

Bud will be pleased to send the gun to a person who can fix it for around the $$ you mentioned.

In his case money is no object -- as he is spending mine (the newer wife).

As far as your combination dialect, I certainly do understand why you ask Bud to "speak English".

Unfortunately, by the time Bud is able to get out of bed & get to the computer, he has already had a few too many & has a difficult time explaining the difference between a "belch" and a "burp", even though I have no problem in recognizing the difference with Bud's burps, belches, and -- if I may say -- "passing gas".

------

If you do want to help explain the origin & possible repair rout of this gun, please do let us know.

If you do write back with information with more than four-letter words, please start your note with "have the newer wife translate".

Thanks again,
Newer Wife & Bud

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Re: You shure do know yer guns !!

mrclampit said:
<If you do write back with information with more than four-letter words, please start your note with "have the newer wife translate". >

Have the newer wife translate.

mrclampit said:
<Bud's first thought with your eloquent response was that you must have gone to school past the 8th grade. >

Barely!

mrclampit said:
<The air rifle he mentioned is (now that he found someone that can read) -- -- "Sheridan Products, Inc. Racine,Wis-made in U.S.A."On the other side of the barrel is only "SILVER STREAK" There is no more writing to be found except near the safety (on the stock behind the bolt) is a small note "hold down to fire". >

Aha! I am happy to report that you have an early model 'C', the 'affordable' replacement for the rare (and VERY expensive) models A & B. As such it is becoming collectable. I sold a VERY nice 'hold-down safety' (amazing designation isn't it---but that's what it's called in the world of Sheridan collectors) model'C' earlier this year for a bit less than $200 to give you an idea of value. To elaborate the gun was not in New-in-Box condition but was in 'Excellent', almost like new' condition with no metal damage, corrosion or scratches and with a fresh rebuild. It was also an outstandingly accurate gun of the model. The only serious defect from a collectors viewpoint was that I had been forced to refinish the stock due to no remaining original finish. Fortunately the wood was in excellent unmarred condition otherwise and refinished beautifully. But it was readily obvious that it wasn't original---a markdown in the eyes of the serious collector.
That's the good news. The bad news is that it'll cost a few bucks more to get it repaired than a run-of-the-mill 'rocker safety' model simply because it HAS acquired collectable status and, as such, more care must be taken during work to see that no cosmetic damage is done.
And here is where I recommend sending it to Ron Sauls at Bryan and Assoc. recommended in my reply to the lady above. He is the only one I will trust with my collectable domestic multi-pump pnuematic guns and is the one who did the rebuild on the example cited above. I suggest you contact Ron before sending it to determine cost. Tell him I sent you. It'll only add @ 20% to the cost.;o)
See the post to the lady on caring for the cosmetics of the gun.
You have found a very nice example and it's worth saving unless it's a cosmetic wreck. Unlike modern examples of the breed it will escalate in value if it's a good one. The chances of it being acceptably accurate are also better than current production unless some cretin or adolescent has tried to shoot something other than lead pellets thru it. But you should be able to tell the condition of the rifling with the use of a good bore light. If you are unsure take it to a gunsmith for evaluation of the rifling before spending the rebuild $.
If you don't want to mess with it you can probably trade it for a functioning later model by offering the trade on the American Vintage Airguns site mentioned in my reply to Theresa.
If you need to know more or if I neglected something just let me know.
HTH, Tom

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Swampy said:
Sooooo , yer say'in my Red Rider ain't much now?

Depends on the Red Ryder. BB gun collectors have a LOT less sense than even pellet gun collectors. While memory isn't too keen these days I seem to recall that model originated in 1938. Frankly there's no telling how much a NIB example would command at auction these days.
Remember the Daisys built to look like a double-barrel shotgun? Originals in just average condition bring @ $500 and cherry examples are traded secretly' off list, for prices no one will readily admit to.
The survival rate of BB guns was much worse than pellet guns due to the age bracket of the owners so there are far fewer nice examples to fill the vacancies in collections. As a result prices are often well past ridiculous.
I spoke to a local judge, a BB gun collector who shall remain unidentified to protect the guilty from spousal abuse, a few years ago at the swap meet in Little Rock on the first day, Friday, and asked him if he was staying for the following 2 days. "Nope, I only brought $5,000 and I'm about tapped out so I'm driving home tonight".
By contrast the airgun that I personally consider the height of American domestically designed and produced multi-pump pnuematics, the Crosman 1400, can be bought in nice useable condition for $100 or less from almost anyone 'in the biz'.
The collecting of anything can quickly transcend 'hobby' and go directly to 'mental illness' without the victim being aware of his disease. :lol:

MrClampit

Transslashun by my newer wife

Well now,

Tom,

I'm a thankin ya fer the infermashun.

Yup, the gun is of a OK finnish.
As fer as down the barrel, I ain't a gonna wurry ' bout that.

It hasta bee good cause my newer wife says that I'm a bore 'n she also sez "yer a site to see".

So I ain't a needin' a bore site check.

I'll git a hold of that fella 'n see if'n he'll take a look at the gun.

As my newer wife sed -- The price ain't no object.
I shure duz love my newer wife.

She can also cook grits & feelay out the fish.
And change the oil in the truck and mow the weeds in the back yard.
And more, butt we ain't a goin' too talk 'bout that now.

Thanks fer the infermashun.
It's nice ta have yer inputt.

Oh, yes.

My newer wife is off too her secund job so I cuddn't git this transslated.

Yer frend,
Bud
MrClampit

Oh, yes SWAMPY

yer Redd Ryder is still a good gun.
I rememmber when I wuz a kid and I hadd one.
I put the end of the gun in the pond out back & pulled the trigger.

Nuthin' ever happen'd tho.

My Dad nevur did teech me to pump the levvur.

N' I cuddn't afford beebees.

Yer friend Bud
'