Short glassed my boat??? | SouthernPaddler.com

Short glassed my boat???

slider

Mar 14, 2009
When I cut and draped the cloth over my boat it had about 3" extra all the way around. After I pulled it back to expoxy and then glassed I have a few sections where the fiberglass is about 2" shy of covering the hull.

I guess the recommendation is to piece that area as opposed to leaving unglassed. Are there any special tricks to blending that in? Can you tell I'm a noob?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
If it is at the top just below the gunnel, it might not hurt a thing to leave it unglassed. It would be easy to piece it in overlapping the other glass. The fill coats will hide the edge or you could feather the edge by sanding or scraping before the fill coats.

slider

Mar 14, 2009
As I dug around for more info I discovered that (as you said) it is recommended to leave gunwale area unglassed anyway and epxoy them to wood instead of glass. Guess I should have known that too but I missed until now.

Actually instead of worrying about the area I missed, I went out and cut a strip all the way around about 1" wide and pulled off the fiberglass. It had only been on a couple of hours and wasn't too bad to pull.

Good to know you can patch and blend areas though cause it looks like I have a few areas that need some work :oops:

slider

Mar 14, 2009
Frayed edges?

I also have some frayed edges. I have read now that some of the best ways to get rid of em are to not make them or take a razor and cut a neat line and pull off - too late for me on both counts.

Will the additional coats of expoxy fill them and make them less visible (like the weave) or is it best to sand them down first?

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Re: Frayed edges?

slider said:
I also have some frayed edges.
Will the additional coats of epoxy fill them and make them less visible (like the weave) or is it best to sand them down first?
I would say yes on both counts. The fill coats will make them less visible, but sanding them down would be better. By the way, if you haven't done it yet, buy yourself a carbide scraper. It will save a lot of sanding although you will still get to do plenty of sanding.

slider

Mar 14, 2009
Jimmy thank you. I have a Hyde paint scraper with a carbon steel blade - is that it?

BTW, what part of N Ga, I used to do alot of backpacking, camping and trout fishing in N Ga.