"Short Stuff" pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

"Short Stuff" pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice! :)
The near vertical stems gives the boat a canoe boat look. They also give you a longer water line.
Waiting on paint to dry so you can paddle it is the pits. I bet it works fine.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I didn't really measure it accurately, but I believe the rocker decreased maybe a 1/4" to 3/8". Small differences like that don't bother me in the least, though.

Bee, tomorrow is launch day! I'll post a report.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Launch day......the good and the bad. Getting in was a little shakey, which I expected. I don't have a seat with a back, so I just sat on 2 pieces of 2" foam and another piece of camping foam about 3/4" thick. After a couple hundred yards of paddling, I took out the 3/4" piece. Much better. I missed having a seat back to lean on.

The boat tracks very well..........just slightly too well. It turns well at low speeds but really wants to keep straight when cruising, which is what I want. It doesn't seem to push much water. The glide is fine. Cruising speed is OK, even with the 12-15 mph headwind I had. Stability is OK at the 4" seat height. I went through some water weeds and the bow did hang up due to the upright stems. Not a deal breaker, but just a little harder to get through.

Now for the not so good. After paddling 1/4 mile, I got out to look around on the bank. When I braced myself on the gunnels to get out, I heard a small POP from the rear. On investigation, the bottom rib had cracked away from the chine on one side and from the bottom for a couple of inches. Just a little too lightly built, I'd say. I came home and pried the rib from it's postion and scraped the residue down to clean wood. I'll put the rib back, with a bigger epoxy fillet and will add side ribs in that location.

I'd say, overall, it was a success. I need to definitely make another seat and figure out some kind of foot brace.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Thanks for posting the build, I learn something new every time. I’ve been hung up on building light and stable, your post reminded me how much I liked fishing out of Matt's TV 15 32. It’s going to be a while before I get to build again, we need to get some of wifes medical needs squared away.
Thanks again for sharing pictures and knowledge.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The TV 15 32 should be a great fishing platform. Bigger is better up to a point. Every builder has to figure that point for himself. It's a juggling act of cost, ease of build, speed, handling, comfort, ease of getting it to and from the water and a whole host of other things. There might be a perfect boat for a particular use on a particular day in a particular body of water.................but even that is doubtful. Most of the time you're left with somewhat of a compromise.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Texas River Rat ( Ron , tx river rat ) summed it up pretty good in a article on this forum many years ago. "There ain't such a thing as the perfect boat "
Then he changed it to.... " There ain't no perfect tent , wood , boat , hatch , sleeping bag or women ".

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
She's officially finished. Two coats inside and out with a semi-gloss latex paint.

Final specs: length- 11'8" ..............................

The flair relaxed a bit after taking off the form. No problem. I put one floor rib over the bottom butt joint. That stiffened the floor and, surprisingly the sides too.

Now, two days or so of waiting for the paint to cure. View attachment 1633

Is the floor "rib"/brace 8' from the bow? Where did you sit in relation to it?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yes, the rib is 8 feet from the bow. I should have put a couple of side ribs there too. I sat about a foot forward of the rib and a foot behind center. I'll glue the floor rib and the side ribs in maybe tomorrow. One step forward and two steps back. Fun stuff!!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The bottom rib is reattached and the side ribs are in....... 2 feet behind center. I'm thinking that should be strong enough. We'll see. No big thing to add another rib if needed. Probably needed more sanding but just didn't want to spend an extra hour. As I age, the need for impeccable fit and finish escapes me. The juice is just not worth the squeeze.

unnamed (56).jpg

Reactions: Gamecock

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I missed this last post and have been wondering if you had made the repairs. Now you "have to go to know" if it is strong enough.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I went out and put a couple of miles on it today and a couple yesterday. Plenty solid now. The makeshift seat and foot braces were better than nothing so I have a pair of commercial footbraces on order and started cutting out the pieces for a Sparky seat, then I'll be set.

The boat moves right along with minimal fuss. No pulling when paddling or when coasting. It really wants to go straight, which is good for a short boat. In close quarters, it doesn't take much to turn it. At speed, a slight extended grip on the paddle will get it to turn plenty good enough. As with most of my boats, it's not a stand up and walk around craft. I'd say, so far, it's living up to my expectations.

Reactions: Gamecock

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Did 3 miles in Short Stuff yesterday. The first half was against the wind. No weather cocking that I noticed. The wind hitting me probably caused a bit of a slowdown rather than any fault of the boat. I put in a temporary foot brace. With the Sparky seat and a solid foot brace, it transforms the paddling experience for me. The boat feels much more like an extension of my body, much like a kayak.

I saw about 10 alligators from 6- 10+ feet long in the first quarter mile. One little fart 6 footer actually made a charge at me with half of his body and part of his tail out of the water. A few spashes with the paddle changed his mind. Probably a teenager all full of himself. :D

At about an 11' 6" waterline length, this boat has the footprint of many 13 and 14 foot pirogues and kayaks with generous overhangs at each end. The boat only knows and reacts to what's actually touching the water. I feel the near zero rocker really improves the comfortable cruising speed and tracking.......both high on my list. Turning is a bit "harder" but by no means annoying. An extra stroke or two is a small price to pay for better performance.

The sad state of today's plywood has become apparent. I've got one small split/blister coming up on the bottom already. Not a hard fix with epoxy. The quality has really gone down in the last 8-10 years. But , all in, I have about $170 in the boat. Plenty bang for the buck.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Did 3 miles in Short Stuff yesterday. The first half was against the wind. No weather cocking that I noticed. The wind hitting me probably caused a bit of a slowdown rather than any fault of the boat. I put in a temporary foot brace. With the Sparky seat and a solid foot brace, it transforms the paddling experience for me. The boat feels much more like an extension of my body, much like a kayak.

I saw about 10 alligators from 6- 10+ feet long in the first quarter mile. One little fart 6 footer actually made a charge at me with half of his body and part of his tail out of the water. A few spashes with the paddle changed his mind. Probably a teenager all full of himself. :D

At about an 11' 6" waterline length, this boat has the footprint of many 13 and 14 foot pirogues and kayaks with generous overhangs at each end. The boat only knows and reacts to what's actually touching the water. I feel the near zero rocker really improves the comfortable cruising speed and tracking.......both high on my list. Turning is a bit "harder" but by no means annoying. An extra stroke or two is a small price to pay for better performance.

The sad state of today's plywood has become apparent. I've got one small split/blister coming up on the bottom already. Not a hard fix with epoxy. The quality has really gone down in the last 8-10 years. But , all in, I have about $170 in the boat. Plenty bang for the buck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'd guess about 5 1/2" of freeboard. I pulled alongside a dock and, while holding on, leaned until water came over the gunnel. It still seemed pretty stable there. BUT, to get into that position, you would have to do something drastic. True, an extra inch of freeboard helps in drastic situations, but you have to accept the risk of having a lighter, more manuverable boat.

My cousin wanted a pirogue that would "do everything". Higher sides for bigger waves, wider bottom for utmost stability, big comfy seat, pretty sweeping bow and stern angles and heavily braced aluminum construction. It definitely does many things well. Final weight---- 105 lbs. No free lunch.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Made a 3 mile trip this morning. The seat is situated with runners to keep it centered. The foot pegs came in yesterday and were installed. She's a real cruiser now! Pretty effortless to paddle. Glide is surpisingly good. I didn't hear or feel any gurgling or splashing from the bow. I went in some pretty small sloughs......probably 15 feet across with twists and turns. She turns well enough with a couple extra strokes. Really easy loading and unloading. Right now, if I wanted to build a really top notch boat with the best materials, I'd copy this design almost exactly. High praise, me thinks.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I am glad the design is working well for you. What "best" materials would you use for the "top notch" build?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'd hate to do it, but probably solid wood in a strip, stitch and glue construction. No proof, but I'd bet even $100 a sheet ply has much lower quality than
it had 10 years ago. My thoughts would be to go to Robichaux Lumber in Raceland and get some 12-14 foot clear cedar of some kind. Big dollars, but probably worth it. I'd bet you could get some mighty fine boards for the $200 or more you would spend on plywood. No worries about delamination or water soaked plys.