Shouldered Flare | SouthernPaddler.com

Shouldered Flare

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Most of my builds have evolved into having the side panels turn inward at the gunnels. I considered the sides to be tumblehome, based on the canoe term for sides that were narrower at the gunnels than at the water line.
Because the pirogue's sides are flat and flare out above the water line I think "Shoulder Flare" https://northstarcanoes.com/northstar-rhetoric/shouldered-flare/ is a better description.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Shouldered flair is a great design. My preference is for a narrower bottom, less overall side flair and lower sides. It amounts to about the same ease of reach when paddling but with a lower seat height and a little less initial stability....... trade-offs that I'm willing to make to have a slightly faster cruising speed and easier handling boat. When you get down to the 12-14 foot length, you really have to adjust the boat to the individual person and their preferences.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
"trade offs" and adjusting the design to the "individual person and their preferences." is the challenging part of designing and building.
The shoulder flare design reduces the max. beam, increases the freeboard, and adds strength and stiffness to the sides. It can also help deflect paddle drips to the outside of the boat. The trade off is the extra work and material.