Shrimp, grits and Swampy... | SouthernPaddler.com

Shrimp, grits and Swampy...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I gotta go down to Savannah again before too long to a class the company is sending me too. (Or as Swampy would say, "Gett'n edjumacated") Over the past 20 years I know I have at least a full year living there and I love it! I consider myself a citizen of Savannah. Anyway, I carry an extra cooler in the pickup when I go and load it up with Low Country shrimp just before I come home. They have two shrimp seasons there and I believe it's the white shrimp season now. I think.
I'm look'n at different recipes for when I get those rascals home. I am gonna do Chucks AFTERBURNERS :p with some of 'em. I also love fried shrimp and marinated shrimp. I found a new marinated shrimp recipe that sounds great, a few of them will find theirself in this as well. Wanted to share it with y'all. (Practic'n my GA drawl for the trip)

Marinated Shrimp
2# shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked.
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced. (Me, about a dozen)
1/3 C. finely chopped celery
1 scallion, minced
1 TBSP. chopped chives
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 Tsp. paprika
pinch O salt
3 TBSP lemon juice
A few shakes of hot pepper sauce
2 TBSP Heinz Chili sauce *(not hunts)
2 TBSP Heinz ketchup *(not hunts)
2 TBSP drained prepared horseradish
1 TBSP prepared mustard, Heinz. *(not hunts)

*If ya use Hunt's, it's a scientifical fact, you'll start talk'n like Swampy and some of your body parts will start shrink'n! :lol:
Hey, I warned y'all!

Put the shrimp in a glass bowl
Combine all the other ingredients in a jar or bowl. Pour it over the shrimp and toss untill the shrimp are coated.
Cover the bowl for 6-12 hours and give them a toss every now and again.

I gotta practice my Southern Swampy drawl so I can understand him when I blow into his hometown for a visit on my way to Savannah. He say's we're hav'n grits for breakfast at the local greasy spoon. (I think he's just try'n to scare me away?) His possum cassarole might scare me away, but not grits! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker

I am thinking on the next camping trip I should do some of the AFTERBURNERS for the crew and then hold off till the early hours of the morning to see who has to visit the log down from camp, or just hold off and see who has to paddle standing up in the morning. :lol:

When you get with Swampy make sure he knows how to do your shrimp ... then he can demonstrate the process in camp for supper one night. Just remember he will want to use the HUNT'S seasonings ( I wounder if he is related to them ) ?

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Swampy Hunts.....

Chuck,
I would be real careful chowing down on AFTERBURNERS just before getting into a boat and getting out into the middle of the water! :shock:

As far as Swampy, I have a big surprise for him next week! :wink: