Shrimp Gumbo. | SouthernPaddler.com

Shrimp Gumbo.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The paper had this in it today so I am going to make it for supper tonight.

Shrimp Gumbo

3 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons flour and minced garlic
2 ounces bacon , finely chopped
2 cups diced celery
2 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
1/4 pound andouille sausage diced
1 cup each , diced red and green bell pepper
8 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon file' seasoning
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
10 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 pound of shrimp
2 cups sliced okra
Hot Cooked Rice.

1.... Melt the butter and add the flour to make a brown roux. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until light brown in color.

2.... Cook the bacon over medium heat in skillet until golden brown. Add the garlic and vegetables except the okra and peppers, saute until tender. Add the sausage , cook 4 minutes. Add peppers and saute for 2 minutes. Add the water and all the spices , simmer for 10 minutes.

3.... Add the Worcestershire , tomatoes and brown roux, Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and okra , simmer 3-4 minutes.

Serve over the rice.
I am deviating from there instructions and doing it my way........

I like shrimp so I am using just over a pound of them , the can tomatoes comes in a 14 oz can so I will use the whole can.

Plus after the roux is ready then the vegetables ( a short time later the sausage and spices ) will be put in with it and not sauted in a separate pan. Then the whole mess will simmer for about 45 minutes and just before serving the shrimp will be tossed in , they cook in a flash and you sure do not want to overcook them.

Chuck
PS. Who knows , I just might add two cups of white wine after the veggies are sauteed , stir it around and then only 6 cups of water. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well , we had the Gumbo tonight...... The wife is still running around somewhere out there in Florida trying to cool down. :? So far I don't think she is spitting into the bushes since I have not seen any fires starting.:lol:

Yep, it is a little warm but darn good.

Pups and had a couple of bowels of it , I am drinking a beer and he is making water an endangered item. Both of us went back for a little more since we like it.
Later we will have some ice cream.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It is darn good , Like I said pup's and I liked it , they wife thought I was trying to kill her ( what would you expect from a Yankee and the bland food they like ) . Mary came over and was eating it like there was no tomorrow.

She is definetly my daughter. The spicer the better when it comes to chow. It will warm you up , just don't eat it with a plastic utensil , some high grade metal ones are a lot safer to use , anything that can handle something over 2,000 degrees. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinking about it .. I might just have to have a litl more before it cools down and I put the left overs in the frig to defrost it .:D

Chuck

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
SHRIMP GUMBO

DON,T KNOW HOW IT IS WITH YOU BUT DON,T SEEM TO BE THAT WARM TO YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF BOWL. THEN HITS LIKE A BOMB FIRE. CATFISH

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hmmmm. I have 5 pounds of Georgia Coastal Shrimp in the freezer.
It's gonna be a cold weekend lows near zero. Think I'll do this Saturday but double up on the cayenne or maybe use habanero instead. The Girl Scouts up here use a half teaspoon of cayenne in there cookie recipes. :roll: I need to kick it up about fifty notches.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
...nuttin' better then a bowl of gumbo over rice and a loaf of hot crusty bread.
...if you peel (and head) your own shrimp. Instead of using the plain water, put the shells(..and heads if you got 'em) in the water and let it simmer for a while. Shoot throw in a carrot,onion, celery.... Strain it before using it in the gumbo.You won't believe the difference it makes in the gumbo (and it's stuff you just normally throw away)