Simple request for Jdupre' | SouthernPaddler.com

Simple request for Jdupre'

islandpiper

Joey, just a simple little request: If I ever get this bitten up by chiggers again will you just shoot me and bury me out in the swamp? It would be a lot better than itching like this for over three weeks. No let up in sight, still have big bumps, and man oh man, they ITCH !!!

dang......

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
You can end it all by scratching the h@!! out of them and then douse them good with alcohol. :mrgreen: But Gay said for you to use Campho-phenique. She made a trip to Tulsa last month and brought a couple(chiggers) back. Champho took care of them.
Bob

Reactions: FrankAS

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper, did you try the Clorox solution? It always helps me. My bites quit itching a couple of weeks ago and the bumps are almost healed.

But, I'll sight in the rifle for our next trip. :wink:

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here you go ........ http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=232

Try not to scratch the bites since that can/will cause secondary infections and normally makes the itching worse. Down here if we get in them it is a good , long , soapy , hot bath to stop the bugs.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Here is a little information about them and what went on.

Bites

Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out. After a larva is fully fed in four days, it drops from the host, leaving a red welt with a white, hard central area on the skin that itches severely and may later develop into dermatitis. Any welts, swelling, itching, or fever will usually develop three to six hours after exposure and may continue a week or longer. If nothing is done to relieve itching, symptoms may continue a week or more. Scratching a bite may break the skin, resulting in secondary infections. However, chiggers are not known to transmit any disease in this country.
Control Measures

Skin Care

After returning from a chigger-infested area, launder the field clothes in soapy, hot water (125°F.) for about half an hour. Infested clothes should not be worn again until they are properly laundered and/or exposed to hot sunshine. Unlaundered clothes or those laundered in cool water will contain the biting chiggers to again reinfest your skin. As soon as possible, take a good hot bath or shower and soap repeatedly. The chiggers may be dislodged, but you will still have the stylostomes, causing the severe itch. Scratching deep to remove stylostomes can cause secondary infections. For temporary relief of itching, apply ointments of benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, New Skin, After Bite, or others recommended by your pharmacist or medical doctor. Some use Vaseline, cold cream, baby oil, or fingernail polish. (The sooner the treatment, the better the results.)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Piper the problem is you don't have chiggers. There are no chiggers in south Louisiana. You have Red Bugs. A chigger might be a weakened northern species or something. I don't know, as I've never seen one. To stop scratching, always a chance of infection from your nails, Insert your hands into a pair of SOFT socks and TAPE them to your wrist. When the itching stops you can remove them. Scratching cured. :roll: :lol: Soft and tape are the key words. "Soft"reduces the irritation from all the rubbing you will be doing. The tape keeps you from stopping the treatment too soon. Days can turn into weeks some time and you will be tempted to remove them prematurely. I also have the only known effective prevention from bites if you want to go camping in south Louisiana in the summer. :wink: Stay home. :)

Sorry about all the above Boat Science. My Paw Paw kept a small bar of "blue germicidal soap" for batheing to stop the itching. I remember it helping. I do not know if today's versions will help or not. I tried to find the "blue germicidal soap" when my children were bitten and was told it was taken off the market.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
beekeeper said:
. I also have the only known effective prevention from bites if you want to go camping in south Louisiana in the summer. :wink: Stay home. :)

beekeeper

beekeeper.....

I think you found the answer to pipers problems. He goes out camping in the summer and feeds the skeeters , then he goes again and feeds the red bugs....... He goes in the winter and does not have a problem except for paddling threw the ice.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I'm not suggesting anyone try this. I suggest it's surely not a safe thing to do. However, back in my younger days I got a really bad infestation of red bugs on my legs. I used some Sevin liquid, rubbed in on the affected areas and then immediately washed it off with lots of soap and water. I know, bad idea, but it worked. Of course, there is that twitch I didn't used to have................

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Gee, ANOTHER simple reason (in addition to snakes, crocs, gators, ants, etc. etc.) to avoid the southern US.

That's part of the Southern Strategy :D .... Let the critters keep the Yankees away.

As Mac likes to say , don't swat the skeeters , one bite and they will leave you alone. Now he has spent most of his life at a place called Mosquito Lagoon and if you tried to swat the skeeters they have you could never do anything else. He accepts them , I hate them.

I live inland where the Red Bugs are , the only problem they have ever caused me was having to take a bath before Saturday Night rolled around the dam things. You go out hunting on a Sunday after the Saturday night bath and then have to take another bath that night , two nights in a row. :p

Jack mentioned the Snakes , Crocks , Gators ( big lizards) Fire Ants and ect..... Don't forget the Bears , Panthers , range or what we call scrub cows ( those dam things are WILD and will come after you ) ... Possums , Coons , Armadillos and assorted small critters like the Black Widow or Brown Recluse Spiders....( The last two are the real ( serious ) danger for campers) .

YES... Armadillos ... You ever been camping in a quiet area and all of sudden wake up ( always early morning , real early , about something dark 30 ) thinking a heard of wild hogs are evading your camp , only to find out it is one Texas Turtle ( What I call them ) poking around looking for grubs and worms. :wink:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Hospital corpsmen supplied us with a clear nail polish to put on the bites as soon as they appeared to kill the little beggars. The lacquer both suffocated the rascals and relieved the itching. Worst infestation I ever had was at Camp Atterbury in Indiana. No problems camping out in the flatlands East of Little Rock though.

islandpiper

Jack, i was tempted to go out and get my Extractor about two AM one night, then remembered I was visiting in Indiana. OOps.

It might have helped earlier. Too late now.

I'm putting some spiced rum on them, from the inside, tonight. I'll report in if that helps.

piper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
islandpiper said:
Jack, i was tempted to go out and get my Extractor about two AM one night, then remembered I was visiting in Indiana. OOps.

It might have helped earlier. Too late now.

I'm putting some spiced rum on them, from the inside, tonight. I'll report in if that helps.

piper
The rum might not take care of the bugs, but you won't care anyway.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
Gay told me to tell you again about the Campho phenique stopping the chigger itching. There, I told you. Maby she will get off my case about it. You sure could help me out here by trying a couple of spots and reporting back. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob
PS Did the Rum help?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
islandpiper said:
<SNIP> i got a can of bright red lacquer and sprayed my entire backside. Two coats.
There must be a joke there somewhere that I could crack, but darned if I can think of it.........

Jack that is what makes them "red bugs".

beekeeper