size boats allowed? | SouthernPaddler.com

size boats allowed?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Yes Oyster, size does matter. :shock: Size is everything. :lol: BIG boats are too hard for a Geezer to paddle easily. Besides that, depending on the laws in the state that you live in they will TAX yo a$$ if it is powered by anything other than a paddle or oars. :cry: At least that is how it is here in the state of Taxes.
Bob

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Oh I can deal with the photo issue as I did post on the size of photo thread. I was just wondering about the size of the boat thing, like how long you know??

Wannabe, you should want to be in the Carolinas, since we get to pay almost the highest in fuel taxes in the country along with numerous other high ranking FEES. JUst this past couple of months, all of the counties was required to send back some of its dispersed funds from the past year because the deficit is so large, while the incoming head of state has just run and won on spending a few billion more of printed money with little promises of increased revenue.

Now where were we, oh our state is probably the easiest on boats of all the others when processing new paperwork though. Thats the most important issue for me, having enough for each day of the week and enough boats for each and every potential weather condition too. Read my tagline. :wink: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
if you can keep it to around 500 x 500 pixels, that seems to be tolerated by dial-up ok. JPG file format takes up less band width than BMP.

As Matt suggested , that is a good size for pictures so everyone can enjoy them.
A JPG file will show up on here , I never have been able to have a BMP file work as anything but a link. ( that could just be me)
The size of the boat....... We have had everything from one at 3 feet ( I made it ( a Pirogue) for a party to put mud bugs ( crayfish/crawdads ) in to an aircraft carrier. The Government made that one. :lol:

By the way , in Florida if you have an inner tube with any form of mechanical propulsion on it ( Trolling motor) it has to be registered ( taxed).
Paddle boats are safe for the time being , they have tried several times to make it so they have to be registered but got shot down on it. As long as there is not a motor on them.

Chuck.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
In lieu of state titling and or registering of paddle and oared boats, many of the larger lakes still require a sticker from the local township or county seat which is an end around play by the people here to help us. :wink:

But on another note, while I do have several small hulls that are powered by several well known methods such as paddle and oar, with aux. power too to include electric, I am starting a 24 foot cruising runabout which will incorporate several building methods all in one. I like to think out of the box by many people's standards and have recieved some intense criticisms by some in the area of boats. So I thought that I play along while following other folks build here. So I ask all not to follow my lead in a hull built for my own consumption as the methods may be harzardous to your health if striking out on your own which includes building from scratch. :wink:
The build will consume a while of the next year for the hull. The neat thing is that using what amounts to less than 500 bucks in decent tools, the boat will be completed, all that have been purchased at the local hardware store, including the paints and varnish too for the finish work.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
tx river rat said:
Oyster
I sure am glad I never build outside the box.
Ron
LOL! I am not sure if you are pulling my leg as I am still green here. I do know that it does appear that you like to build period? Yes, No?

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Wannabe said:
Oyster,
Got a buddy that lives in Mill Creek in Carteret County. Must not be far from you.
Thats a really old fishing town thats been converted to some retirement living in the marsh grass because its way out of the way even though you can see life across the creek. .

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Wannabe said:
Ray says that the Yankees have ruined it.
Bob

They have ruined almost all of the coastal and waterfront land, paying big bucks early on, bulkheading , gated community bylaws, and some taking over the commissioner seats all along the banks and SOBX region. The boatbuilders and landowners for generations that worked the water around Harkers Island down to Sea Level has been taxed from their land, and regulated out of their livelyhood by the dogooders that left the same crap up north. :roll: The main outerbanks is nothing but a cluster of vinyl siding crackerboxes now that blow away with a hard northeaster.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Remember when I was a kid in Sunday School singing a song about building your house on shifting sands.

DANG DANG DANG Sooo sorry Chuck. Just realized this is not the jibber jabber section :oops: :shock: :wink:
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oyster...

Make a mental note that when you get the stuff to build your boat from the Hardware store one of the items you ...DON'T USE... is Min Wax Varnish. :evil:

By the way we had one person on here , he built a couple of pirogues and then a 24 foot sail boat , that sleeps 6. :D

Chuck

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
oldsparkey said:
Oyster...

Make a mental note that when you get the stuff to build your boat from the Hardware store one of the items you ...DON'T USE... is Min Wax Varnish. :evil:

By the way we had one person on here , he built a couple of pirogues and then a 24 foot sail boat , that sleeps 6. :D

Chuck

Hum that has to be some background on the issue of MinWax varnish. I do know that over epoxy coated surfaces, and sometimes depending on what type of epoxy resins thats been used, varnish will not dry. But for me I love the stuff and get great service on my trailer sailor sailboat, 23 foot. There is another big box varnish Behr that is mighty fine considering the low cost by comparison to all those marine grade varnishes. My boats stay on the go and I do not have a lot of time to do maintainance by comparison to most folks.

I boat in salt water with all my boats twelve months a year, even though some months are a bit limited. I have varnish on all of my boats including varnished transoms on my smaller fishing and creeking hull in 12 foot. I use nothing other than the Min Wax Helsman, and in some cases the topcoat is the satin over build up coats of high gloss always. This is on my bow sprit and all along the covering boards too. I also use it on my bellyband too around the boat. I may start another thread on that one for you guys to confirm that I am a bit nuts too. :wink:

DSC03353.jpg

Talking about that one too, that boat is worth a few posts when talking about oddoggs.
Seedtick, will do when I get the shots organized.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Oyster,
If you have that much varnishing to do you might consider Smith's 5 year varnish. Stagger the varnish times and that would ease your yearly work load. More time to play in the boats. :lol:
Bob

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I am a fan of plain old oil base varnish, spar it is. I also like the price and can deal with varnishing every couple of years, Yep, thats right. The key to longivity for varnish is make sure to fill the grains from the beginning. The wood will not crack the finish and will last longer. People just never get the wood proper and never get enough on it either, which causes most issues other than not washing and chamois the woods when done with the boat.

I have tried just about every single magic formula. I also use the good old standby Captains Varnish on high end stuff, weekend garage kept floaters. I do not want my wood to loose its color and beauty of the grain which happens with most of highly promoted finishes for longivity. I want to be able to ad turpentine and or penetrol too. There is nothing more satisfying than an evening with turps too. 8) But also I do not like stripping anything other than a true spar varnish with my trusty Red Devil stripper either.