size boats allowed? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

size boats allowed?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Must be my luck with varnish , the Min Wax has always been crap and very disappointing in it's use. Nothing I have used it on has held the varnish except the sandpaper used to remove it from what ever I put it on.
I did find that by putting it on a boat (or anything that's outside) that it loves to remove itself from what ever it is on without any help from me.

In all honesty I have to say that it is not a recent phenomena but something that has done it for 50 years , could be longer. :lol:

I envy your ability of using it , even more your happiness with it , that is not the case with me. I have great results with the Captains or Flagship marine varnish I get from Raka here in Florida. That holds onto the epoxy like it is a part of it , no peeling or anything disgusting like min Wax does for me.

Chuck

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
One thing that I have personally found is that the Min Wax is its much thinner for sure. Thinner varnishes do not like overcoating over epoxy either. Less solids does bring the costs down too and will require a few extra coats indeed. As I attempted to state, the initial prepwork and build up is the key. I cannot tell you how many gallons of Captains that I have personally used and still think that its the best bang for the buck and much easier to use than the Epiphanes which most swear by now. But do not attempt to use that if you are a first or second timer for sure, or has been the case for most of the guys in that chair.

On bare wood, the best sealer coat I have found and still use it for outdoor parts is the 1026 Interprotect, quick buildup, drying and recoating in the green stage. Its loaded with some color and uv protection to the grains. Wood warms and cools and with any raised grain automatically breaks the surface of any topcoat used.

Let the multiple coats cure and then sand smoothe and you will yield a different result for almost any type of topcoat varnish in almost all cases of these builds on these formats such as online forums.

I began my varnishing career back around middle 1960s when my daddy was a painter and refinisher of fine woods and even a sprayer of the lacquers which I still fill killed him whjen he mixed it with four packs of unfiltered cigarettes during those days. :cry:

But I am still partial to the turps smell and relate it to fine finishes. Its a learned thing I guess in all these instances.

But the horrors of epoxy buildup these days on clear finishes that gives me the williys as I do not like plastic finishes, no way, unless you are going to paint it. The amine blush is normally the guilty party even though folks sand the dog out of it when dealing with loading of sandpaper too.

Warm water wash as most guys will learn in the beginning will go a long ways to help with adhesion of any of your topcoats and for longivity too. Of course I am probably singing to the choir but thought I would add this to the mix while kiling time with my last cup of coffee.