skeg or no skeg | SouthernPaddler.com

skeg or no skeg

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
I am amazed with the tracking of my pirogue and I have no skeg or keel at all. I do use a kayak type paddle though. I also sit pretty much in the center of my boat.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I would also say to build without it. My pirogue was built for skinny water where I likely will be going over logs and a skeg would probably get hung up or broken off.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A flat bottomed pirogue meant for shallow water is a bit of a specialized boat. A long, narrow strip along the centerline may be necessary. Try it first without, and only add it if you think it needs it. Try simply taping it on first to see what changes it makes.

Many times, a skeg merely works to correct handling of a poorly designed boat.

islandpiper

I've built three UJ's.........been tempted to put little skinny skegs on all of them. Even cut them out and had them ready to go on. Never got around to it on any of them and somehow survived this long.

Yes, they are a little like a tea cup at times, but a double paddle does make a big difference. If I had to paddle long distances, fast, i'd put one on for sure as it would pay for the drag and draft with the elimination of having to correct for direction.

But, they also make either perforations of a good boat necessary, or serious glueing to a snooth bottom. Bolting on with stainless or brass and a good fitting compound may be the best as it will allow the removal later for replacement after wearing it out, or changing your mind.

The best answer, of course, is to build a second pirogue and try it both ways. If you have any trouble with this, have your wife write to any of us and we'll back you up.

Piper