Sloe Gin - Old fashioned country recipe | SouthernPaddler.com

Sloe Gin - Old fashioned country recipe

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Here is a recipe that should appeal to most of the regular folk. It has a couple of nice features: one of the key ingredients is free and the result is highy alcoholic.

I don't know whether Sloes grow in the USA and Oz but in the UK they are a reasonably commen hedgrerow shrub or bush (Prunus spinosa or Blackthorn for those of a botanical disposition).
sgstalk.jpg

The bushes can grow as big as the hedge is allowed to grow. They are full of huge thorns as can be seen at the right of the photo. The fruit are related to plums but are quite remarkably sour. They are ~1/2" (12mm) max in size and contain a stone. The countryside lore is that you need to wait until the second frost to pick them. That is more about timing than the effects of the frost itself. Even after fully ripening they will turn your teeth furry. Not at all nice to eat but the country folk found a use for them.

This has been a very good year and the kids and I picked about four pounds of fruit.
sgberry.jpg

The other main ingredient is Gin. Any reasonable gin will do, supermarket grade is fine.
sggin.jpg

Take each fruit in turn then prick it or I prefer to cut 2 or 3 slits in the skin. This is time consuming so get the telly on and pour yourself a drink.
Find a suitable container, half fill it with fruit and add sugar to taste, say 3oz (150g) per pint (500ml). Less if you like it drier and more if you want it sweeter. Get a tight lid on it and keep somewhere cool and dark.
sgjar.jpg

Shake the jar daily for as long as you can be bothered, after that whenever you remember. Decant from the berries after half a year or so as they are spent then but you can drink it after about a couple of months if you can't wait.
It can be drunk on it's own
sgglass.jpg

or mixed with a little lemonade.
sgwlem.jpg

If you don't have any sloes you could try damsons. Get it in the jar now and it might be ready for Christmas.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Six months??!! My god, Steve2 - a man could die of thirst waiting to get a drink around your house. My home brew beer took 3-5 days in the "keg" (plastic Jerri can). then, I'd bottle it with some more sugar to secondary brew in the bottle (krausening) three more days.

The chaplain who lived across the street would come over and "bless" the beer. At about 18% alcohol, we blessed only a couple of pint bottles apiece. After that, the beer couldn't understand much of what he was saying and so didn't feel properly blessed. He'd try again in a few days, when his tongue (and a few other capabilities) had returned to him.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
18%... that's strong beer!

The idea with Sloe Gin is that you make it every year. I missed the crop last year due to family goings-on. I should be drinking last years while shaking this lot.

At 40% alcohol by volume it probably should be drunk in smaller glasses. I have 7 pints on the go for next year.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Jack,

Don't use Buckthorn. If this is Rhamnus catharticus the berries can cause vomiting, dirrhoea and are poisonous.

The leaves are larger and rounder than the sloe and I think the fruit may be held on longer stalks more like little cherries than sloes which are held close to the branch on very short stalks.

Don't rely on my identification though, best to ask someone who really knows the local flora.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Steve2, I thank you for your help. Actually, I wasn't going to use it. Also, I find gin in almost any form to cause those unpleasant side effects - if taken in sufficient quantity.

In Nam, Tanqueray had a deleterious effect on my longevity. I think it successfully killed me several times. Once, during a mortar attack, my buddy grabbed his bottle of gin and headed for the bunker. On the way out, he stumbled and fell. When he got up the front of his shirt was all wet.

He shouted, "GOD! I hope that's blood!"

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
Well Jack, With an 18 proof beer, and Unleaded at $2.30 or so a gallon, have you tried running a lawn mower or generator on this. If it works I'll give it a try on my van to check the mileage. I figure anything that would take the hair off the bottom of your feet would probably run an engine in the winning car at Indy.
All kiddin aside, whats your recipe and wheres your still?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Gator, that was 35 years ago when I made home brew beer. Can't remember the recipe. Might still be on the side of a can of Blue Ribbon malt. Used to be an "Everything Beer" store on the main four corners of Williamson.

And it was 36 proof, 18% alcohol. I'm not sure it would fire an internal combustion engine with pistons. It fired MY internal combustion engine (Carnot heat engine)

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi,
Plums, damsons, even heard of prunes in gin (a friends Granny put her logevity down to those!).

The Sloes are still at the pretty rough stage - the fruit taste so horrible to start with. It needs more sugar and a few more months to infuse. Should be good by next Christmas!

Have to stick to Mr Jack's golden nectar until it's ready.

Slammer

Feb 16, 2006
South Texas
Looks to me like Mustadine. At least thats what we call them here in south texas.

Lots of the older gentlemen make it and call it Mustang Wine, 'Cause it will make you "wilder than a March hare".

Good stuff.

Slammer said:
'Cause it will make you "wilder than a March hare".
Good stuff.

To git wunz self drunker than a boiled owl is take a tall higball glass, with MD20/20 and a 3/4 shot of Everclear.

Or just drink a couple of glasses of Absinthe

When I got back to shore and off the submarine...I really do not remember the first couple of days.

Glad those days are gone, all I can blame lack of memry is Age.

Martin

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
A friend of my Dad's ( he is 80) told him for arthritis to take a jar and fill it with white grapes, then you top it off with gin. My Dad told him the gin was great but his friend told him "You are just supposed to eat one grape a day"! Dad asked what the point of that was and that frankly he didn't remember if he had arthritis or not now!