Smokers | SouthernPaddler.com

Smokers

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I bought a Luhr Jenson smoker, the smallest model Mini Chief. http://www.luhrjensen.com/ It will smoke or dry up to 15 pounds of meat at a time. I now have the three pieces of equipment that I wish I'd had for the last 50 years: dehydrator, smoker, and vacuum packer. I can process & pack my meals at home & not have to eat Lipton Dinners or MRE's.

Making jerky and dry, smoked summer sausage are easy. I’m making the sausage in the next few days, two batches. One with ground beef per recipe, and another with ground turkey because it’s also good - and cheaper and leaner.

Lots of recipes for smoking fish, nuts, etc. etc. It also dehydrates foods.

Interestingly enough, it is much cheaper at Cabela’s than directly from Luhr Jenson. $50 at Cabela’s vs $75 direct. Go figure.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I dried up some jerky & green peppers yesterday. Dried peppers go well in soup. I alos dried a half a jar of sliced jalapenos. Tasty.

This morning I'll smoke the jerky and some almonds. Only problem with smoked almonds is it takes some beer to wash them down.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
I dried up some jerky & green peppers yesterday. Dried peppers go well in soup. I alos dried a half a jar of sliced jalapenos. Tasty.

This morning I'll smoke the jerky and some almonds. Only problem with smoked almonds is it takes some beer to wash them down.

We all have to make sacrifices, Jack. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yep, and I'm ready to make them.

I've been experimenting the last few mornings. I've been simulating a camp breakfast of either granola or Jon's power bars, and some turkey summer sausage. When I tried the oatmeal based stuff alone, it filled me up nicely, but by about 10:00 or 10:30 I'd hit bottom and was hungry.

So, I added some protein of the turkey sausage to the carbs of oatmeal and that did the trick. Now, I know I can have a satisfying breakfast that'll stick with me, and it's an easy breakfast.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Jack your on to something there. Maybe add some cheese?

Ready packed oatmeal has been my main stay for breakfast. Time to venture out with new tastes and still keep it simple.

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy said:
Ready packed oatmeal has been my main stay for breakfast. Time to venture out with new tastes and still keep it simple.

swampy

Jack

Swampy is not joking he does have the instant oatmeal and I will let you in one something ... a new taste treat..... He mixes his oatmeal with coffee and not hot water. He was mumbling something about having the best of both worlds that way :?:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I know that some like the instant oatmeal. It never seemed to satsify either my palate or my stomach. So, I returned to the real, old fashioned oat meal.

I just put it in a bowl, pour boiling (or hotter'nhell) water on it, cover it and let it set whilst I sip my tea for a few minutes. Then I add a bit of cinnamon & brown sugar and know that I haven't riled either the oatmeal Gods or the stream Gods.

But, I will now eat either the granola or power bars for an "oatmeal-type breakfast" while on the move or lounging in camp, and add the smoked summer sausage. Cheese is a good idea too, as well as raisins, dates, or prunes.

Lunch can be tortillas, cheese, onion, & smoked oysters (for that kissing sweet breath.)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Friday, I smoked up 10 pounds more of turkey summer sausage. If you guys enjoy the smoke flavor, I advise you to get one of these from Cabella's. THIS IS GOOD! No sausage machine or wrappers or casings involved. The smoke and meat make their own casing. JARVIS good eatin’!

My 4 year old Granddaughter came in gnawing on a chunk the size of an egg-and-a-half. That and dehydrated pineapple rings are her candy.

Next - jerky.