Smoking victuals... | SouthernPaddler.com

Smoking victuals...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I got a new smoker, the charcoal one done wore out, so I got a gas one. Looking forward to Spring and some kick butt ribs, chicken, salmon, shrimp, etc. The groundhog rears his ugly head tomorrow up in Punxsuntawney, PA. Punxy for short version. They'll be partying all night tonight up there in the cold and snow. Just to see an oversized rodent appear at sunrise tomorrow. Just North of here. http://www.goip.com/groundhog/ He'll say, "Six more weeks of winter." Just like every year. :? Hmmmmm....Smoked groundhog? :shock: Spring ain't far away! :wink:
Have a couple of web sites for any other fellow smokers. Chuck, I'll have to tote it along for those times we set up a base camp for a few days. We'll have some fun!

http://www.smoking-meat.com/
http://www.thesmokering.com/

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
This is what I have. I LOVE IT!!!! It has an adjustable thermostat also.

( I got rid of the url kaunha posted ... it went for miles....... click on this http://www.cabelas.com/ but 1st copy and then post this Item number in there search area......... IH-516114
Chuck )

KAHUNA :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I was at the Sheriffs Office I had a Captain that liked to smoke things ... NO ... Not that ... Food ya Nut. GEZeeeeeeeeeeeee.

He located an frig someone was throwing out. He took it home and removed the guts in it. Put in a hot plate and on top of that he would place a pan with wet wood chips when he did his smoking.

OK.. I got ahead of myself.... He took the guts out of it and put the smoker part of the smoker there in the bottom where the guts were for cooling.... then he cut a hold and installed a flue into the inner (bottom) chamber of the frig so the smoke could get where the food goes.
Then he made a smoke stack out of the back of it with some ..... Fireplace stove pipe and put a damper on it so he could control the amount of smoke leaving the frig.

Next he went over to the rack store , commonly called a hardware store and got some more racks for inside the frig to place whatever he wanted to smoke on. He had a sealed , smoker with multiple racks which could be adjusted for anything from a hog parts (hams , etc ) to hot dogs.

I believe his cost to do that was some where around $20.00 for a multiple rack , sealed smoker.

Yes .. It did turn out some darn good smoked meat and a lot of it , even some smoked fish (mullet and/or catfish ) you would kill for , especially with a cold bear. I can still taste them :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Yes .. It did turn out some darn good smoked meat and a lot of it , even some smoked fish (mullet and/or catfish ) you would kill for , especially with a cold bear. I can still taste them :D
Chuck.

Cold bear? So he smoked a polar bear? I've heard of cold duck wine....Which bear? BearsBuddy? Bearridge? :lol: :lol:
I'm on Dago Red......Chucks on cold Bear! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Cold Bear has a sort of pork taste to it and is a lot better then some cold BEER....... Besides if you skim the fat off the top of it then you can make a candle or candles from it. This lets a person have some light to go and find more , to have a good drink and make more candles.

It would remind anyone of the bath water after an eye-tal-ion has been there soaking in the bath water ....... It is my understanding they do take baths ... (Now and then).
Then some po folks who have no choice in the matter are forced to skim the oil off the water and make it into something caller Vergin Oilve Oil since it has never been un-vergined , or something like that.

They say the stuff is really rare and hard to get.
WHO in there right mind wants to call an oil after the skimmers name ... Vergin.......... What a disgrace. My guess is the un-vergined is when Bubba is forced to take over for Vergin. YEP... BUBBA Oil :lol: :lol: :lol: un-vergined does sound a lot better.:oops:

I would like to pick on ya some more but the grits are cold and the tur-nip's are still growing and that dang slippery persimmon eating possum slipped thru the fence so tonight it is something called ...... spit-a-getti fer supper. I been told folks actually eat them long white worms swimming in the ta-mater sauce....... Got's to try it and if'n it aint no good then I have some fish bait. Stupid fish they will eat anything.

"O" Well I will have a cold Bear with it so who would ever know what it tastes like ... NO .. Not the Cold Bear , them is some sort of good , Just like hot grits ..... I'm talking about that Spit-a-getti stuff. :roll:

Likes the persimmon eating possum .. I is slipping out of here before I gets into real trouble..... supper is a calling me.:D

Chuckles..........
PS.. Yes .. Sir , Folks ..... Bait ya hook , throw it out in the southernpaddler pond on here and you will always catch something to have some fun with. A Cole Bear Rules for today. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is not my fault that aol spell check thinks beer is suppose to be spelled bear.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
CAUTION

Do NOT use the shelves of a refrigerator for smoking or cooking foods. They are coated with zinc, or sometimes cadmium. These metals will get into any foods resting directly on them and slowly poison you.

You can make a smoker as a plywood box, holes drilled through the sides, wooden dowels run through, and meat hung from - or resting on - them. Electric skillet in the bottom with wood ships, air inlet holes at the bottom, an exhaust hole in the top. Add a fireproof, insulating layer between the skillet and the bottom of the box. Sheet metal with fiber glass underneath may work.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
just gime some schedule 80 14-inch carbon steel pipe, some scrap steel plate and a mig gun and I's happy. Propane costs more ev'ry day (Just spent near 300 dollars to HALF fill my tank here at the house :twisted: )and wood makes it tast SOOOO-O-O-o much better (Oak, Cherry, Mesquite, Pecan, Ash, Maple.....) :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
sheena's dad said:
just gime some schedule 80 14-inch carbon steel pipe, some scrap steel plate and a mig gun and I's happy. ...
WTH is a "schedule 80 14-inch carbon steel pipe, some scrap steel plate and a mig gun"? I understood scrap pipe & 14". The rest lost me.

Oh, I unnerstood the wood part too.

Help out a geezer here?

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
SMOKED BALONEY......

Buy some stick baloney...ring baloney or a whole large baloney. Put it in your smoker on real low heat. Just enough to get the wood smoking and not cook the baloney. Aplpy heavy smoke for about 3-4 hours....\
GOOD STUFF!!!!

KAHUNA

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ahhhhh, A propane smoker uses wood, apple, cherry, maple, pecan, etc. Every smoker uses wood to flavor the meat.
A smoker is an enclosed vessel with small small vent openings, a pan to hold moistened wood chips above the source of heat. The source of heat can be dry wood, charcoal, propane, or electric. Doesn't matter. The smoke flavor in the meat comes from the moistened wood. The perfect smoking process has a thin blue line of smoke coming from the vent. The best temperature is around 225 degrees. Propane or electic maintains a constant temperature thru a six hour cooking process. You can't do that with charcoal or wood fire. Constantly prodding the fire because it's too hot or too cold. Grandad had a smoke house on the farm to smoke our hams, bacon, sausage, etc. His biggest problem was the constant temperature. Needed monitored alot. With propne or electric, you get the temperature right and it pretty much will stay constant. Lets you mow the grass on the tractor and sipping a cold one while dinner is smoking.

Hi Mike! Glad to see your giving us cooking tips again! Nice and warm there in South Central IL I bet! :lol: Highs in single digits here the next few days. We won't even mention the lows. :roll:
Twenty pound bottle almosts lasts me all year frying a couple of turkeys, couple of fish fry's, and running my gas grill and camp stove in the summer. I guess if you supply your house with it, it can get pricey.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
My electric smoker cautions to not moisten the wood chips at all. Let them burn and smoke. Mine dries the meats as it smokes them. I make a snacky-sausage using ground turkey, onion, garlic, Tender Quick, and cayenne that is JARVIS good eatin'!