Smoking victuals... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Smoking victuals...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All I ever hear from all of the health experts is that smoking is bad for you. Here this is a family forum and you guys are pushing smoking.

I have said this in the past and will repeat it ... If you were more careful when making those boats then you would not have all that wood to smoke.
The good news is ........ There is something on the market that will help you break that habit ...... It is called Aluminum , you can become a tin can paddler and X-Smoker.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I've read that smoked meats are carsonogenic. That's another story I don't choose to believe. Mankind not only developed by eating it - he THRIVED! Too much salt or water can kill you. However, both are necessary for Life.

Both saying that smoked meats are bad to eat, and perpetrating myths of global warming and - are just commie-pinko-prevert plots of the tofu set. They may also be to blame for receding hair lines and mean old Mr. Tooth Decay.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Both saying that smoked meats are bad to eat, and perpetrating myths of global warming and - are just commie-pinko-prevert plots of the tofu set. They may also be to blame for receding hair lines and mean old Mr. Tooth Decay.

Speaking of that ........ I really hate to say this word to you since you place it in the same category with smoked grits , but have you tried any Tofu in there.
I am betting it would be something really delicious , thinking about that , that might be why you have not said anything about doing it , just keeping it to yourself and not sharing your discoveries with us.

HOLD THAT THOUGHT..... I Know Why......You Sly Fox , you are doing the Tofu and waiting to the next trip to spring it on us to make us marvel in amaisment at your outstanding culinary (smoking ) skills.

Now we will not go anywhere around the subject of the receding hair line , everyone knows marriage causes that. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Looks like I will have to get a smoker and see what all this is about..... Or ..... Just let the wife cook (Dang smoke alarm) supper. Does smoke in the house count as smoking foods?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I don't do tofu, gritz, or windows. An infrequent kidnapping or a bank heist might be OK, though.

Chuck, read up on the Luhr-Jenson smokers as a start. You may end up with something else, but use them as a guide and compare others to them. Very simple and have no moving parts.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Back in the good times , right after Dad landed the Ark we had one of them. I found out anyone can operate one since it was my job back then. If I ever get one it could be really easy that it will be one of them.

It would be nice to step back in time and have an old friend helping to smoke some food. Looking at them , they have not changed at all , except for the price it has gone up a little. :lol:

This is just like the one we had...... It turned out some good chow , especially smoked Catfish fillets. ( don't use the big cats , use the smaller frying size)
Picture .. courtesy of Cabelas web site.

i510706vr02.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mine's similar to that. Same basic construction except about 1/2 height, three shelves a bit closer together, and the front doesn't come off - top loading. I like it.

They say to NOT wet the chips. Different operating procedures.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
There is just something macho and satisfying seeing a handful of guys standing in a circle around a steel box, drinking a beer, smoke coming out of the steel box , and a fire underneath it. Everyone repeating...."Yep....Yep....Yep......gits me anuder bear....oops....I mean beer while your near the cooler."
Not one of them says....."Rip me off anuder hunk of that there tofu since you dun peeked in duh smoker!" :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldyaker said:
There is just something macho and satisfying seeing a handful of guys standing in a circle around a steel box, drinking a beer, smoke coming out of the steel box , and a fire underneath it. Everyone repeating...."Yep....Yep....Yep......gits me anuder bear....oops....I mean beer while your near the cooler."
Not one of them says....."Rip me off anuder hunk of that there tofu since you dun peeked in duh smoker!" :roll:

Shades of "King of the Hill" Boomhauer rules! Jack sneaking in here

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Jack,

Schedule 80 is a tad thicker wall on the pipe than a standard 1/4" (schedule 40) wall...helps create a better heat distribution... a mig gun is a welding gun that feeds out wire as you weld (ya've prob'ly seen 'em used in body shops...)

Didm't mean to throw ya into confusion there.... tend tend fergit sometimes we all don't know what other folks does sometimes...... :oops:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Gotcha, Dad. Smokers are so simple that primitive man invented them. I have trouble understanding all the modernistical foo foo rah that gets added to them. Smoking works with warm air, moving gently over the meat, lots of air.

Picture this, a rack made of sticks, a small smokey fire underneath, meat hanging on the stick rack, smokey air wafting upwards, smoke depositing on and soaking into the meat. A small, smokey fire does it all. Smoke:
1. Keeps away flies,
2. Adds a preservative to the meat, and
3. Adds flavor to the meat.

Building a box around that apparatus keeps away wind, dust, and both crows and kids that sneak by and rob chunks of meat. (Katie just opens the door and helps herself. I suspect that primitive kids did pretty much the same trick?)

Temperature control seems overrated. I make jerky with both heated air and simply blowing ambient air over the meat. Can't tell the difference. Once that meat has been properly salted, or cured with tender Quick you can dry it at room temperature.

You can get too much heat, glaze over the outside, and thereby slow the drying process markedly. That small, smokey fire merely stirred the air and added smoke. A gentle heat is fine.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Ain't dat d' truth, Jack. Ne'er cared fer a hot fire in my cookin' of anything. Much prefer a small fire, away from d' meat, where I kin easily add my wood as needed. My fire ain't ne'er more'n the size o' a dinner plate. May take a tad longer cookin' time on occassion but ...WTH...some things is jus' worth th' wait.....
Fact is got a brisket smokin' now wit' a pan of apple juice under 'er to aid in keepin' the flavors 'n' moisture in. Oughta be ready in 'bout three 'r four more hours........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
My Dad (full blooded German) used to tell me, "Son, white men build a big fire - stand way back. Indian build'um little fire, stand up close, stay warm."

Makes sense to me, Sarge. I like a fire in a slight hole w/ either two flat rocks - or two green logs on the side, arranged in a slight Vee, with large end upwind. Usable, controllable, economical, predictable.

Then, later, I like to toss in a pine knot to watch the technicolor.