Smoky Mountains pics | SouthernPaddler.com

Smoky Mountains pics

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
Here are a few pictures from a fly fishing trip I took to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in October 2006. The fish didn't cooperate, but the scenery was excellent even though we missed the peak colors.

Kurt

cubs-451x600.jpg

Bear cubs near the stream bed of the Little River.

momma_bear_2-451x600.jpg

Momma bear. I feel lucky as we saw about 10 bears. A guy from North Carolina that has fished the park all his life told me he has yet to see a bear.

clingman_s_dome_2-720x219.jpg

The view from the Clingman's Dome parking lot. Got lucky here too. According to the display at the observation deck, the visibility usually isn't too good. The display had a picture of the view you would have on an exceptionally clear day. As luck would have it, I must have been there on a most exceptionally clear day as the view was better than the picture.

hyatt_ridge_trail-451x599.jpg

One of the park trails.

little_river_road-451x600.jpg

Past the peak colors.

kurtstream-600x398.jpg

Me, five miles up the trail.

stream-600x398.jpg

Straight Fork River.

overlook-600x398.jpg

sunset-600x398.jpg

Sunset.

rodrock-600x451.jpg

The rod I made for the trip.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Kurt,

We seen the last day of the most beautiful leaves in quite a few years, accordin' ta folks who live up there. It rained the Friday nite we pitched our tent (even tho the Sparkanator wuz down in the land formerly known az the sunshine state). :? Many of the leaves fell off that nite. It wuz nice Saturday, but nuthin' like the day before.

Swamprat took some mitey nice pichurs. Miz Bear got some too, but it looks like ya rolled in jest after we headed out....round Halloween? Swamprat haz been flyfishin' up in those streams fer a while. The Lost Mines Campground iz an ole fish camp.

regards
bearridge

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder for me to find one. Unknown

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
smoky mountains picture

KURT THOSE ARE PRETTY PICS. THE GUY FROM NORTH CAROLINA MUST DON,T KNOW WHAT A BEAR LOOKS LIKE. ME & MY FAMILY GO TO THE SMOKEYS & AROUND PIEGON FORGE ON VAC ALOT. WE ARE GOING AGAIN THIS SUMMER. DON,T KNOW IF ANY OF YAULL GEEZERS HAVE BEEN TO CADES COVE. IF YOU LIKE THE OUTDOORS & LIKE SEEING WILDLIFE THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO.

WE HAVE BEEN THERE SEVERAL TIMES & HAVE BEEN FORTUANATE EVERY TIME TO SEE BEARS. I GOT ON VIDIO A MAMA & THREE CUBS. YOU DON,T SEE THIS HARDLY ON TV MUCHLESS IN THE WILD. IN THE MORNING OR EAVENING IS THE BEST TIME TO SEE WILDLIFE. YOU ALSO SEE TURKEYS,DEER COYOTEES . ALSO THERE IS A LITTLE VALLEY NAMED CATALOOCHEE TENN OR NORTH CAROLINA YOU CAN GO OVER THERE & SEE ELK. I BELIEVE I COULD LIVE IN CADES COVE .(CATFISH)

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
gator_8_em said:
You got the knack of knowing what would make a good pic. Well done.

Thanks, but I have to give credit for my friend Rob for pics 6, 7, 8 and 9. As mentioned above, we also saw some elk and a couple deer. I got off a couple blurry pics of the deer. I couldn't get too close to them. I was using full zoom and it is tough keeping the camera steady. For a few more pics of the trip, look here http://www.loup-garou.net/smnp1

Kurt

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey kurt where did you see your elk. i did see one around the welcome center one time. most of the ones we seen last time was in cataloochee valley. nice pic tho man especially the bears. athough iv,e seen people flyfish up there i have never tried it there. done most of mine in a pond. (catfish)

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
catfish said:
hey kurt where did you see your elk. i did see one around the welcome center one time. most of the ones we seen last time was in cataloochee valley. nice pic tho man especially the bears. athough iv,e seen people flyfish up there i have never tried it there. done most of mine in a pond. (catfish)

The elk were out at sunset at the North Carolina entrance to the park near Cherokee. A small herd would come out to graze in the grassy area near the welcome center. The deer I saw were on the Little River trail near Elkmont campground.

Kurt

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
gator_8_em said:
http://www.loup-garou.net/smnp1

Everyone aught to take a few minutes and check out Kurt's website if you haven't already done so. All kinds of interesting information and pics. Very impressive!! What kind of camera do you use?

Half the pictures were taken with the 1 mp Fuji that came with the Dell computer we purchased about 5 years ago. The most recent were taken with a Fuji Finepix S2000 (I think that is the model) 3 mp with 10x optical zoom. Almost all the photos were taken in the auto setting. It was purchased for about $300 3 years ago. By today's standard, it is outdated. I'd really like a camera with image stabilization for zoom photos. A waterproof camera would be nice too.

Glad you like my webpage. I need to work on it though. I have photos on it that have no direct link like the Smoky Mountain photos and these I took on a trip to San Diego http://www.loup-garou.net/sandiego and http://www.loup-garou.net/sandiego2

Kurt

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Skinny,

There are so many spots up there that take my breath away, it iz a wonder I kin breathe. Looks a lot like the views from the highroad tween Topton 'n Robbinsville.....where the filmed "Nell".

regards
bearridge

The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.  Unknown high school student

skinnywater

Jun 29, 2007
Cocoa, Florida
Kurt Loup started such a nice post I just couldn't resist jumping in.

bearridge, it was taken at a state park called Fall Creek Falls State Park

Nice pictures kurt.

Thanks cctyer for your kind comments

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
Was looking through some old posts and came across these. It has been 27 years since I have been in the Smokies. I live in NW Washington State now but my heart is still back east.

Kevin