1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Snow Shoe 14 SOF

Discussion in 'Canoeing' started by swampwood, Aug 4, 2014.

1. swampwood

swampwood Well-Known Member

This is a Geodesic Aerolite SOF design canoe.
    14' long, 33" beam, 1 1/2" rocker and around 27lbs.
    All white oak strips with Black Walnut seats, thwarts & Breast hooks.
    It will be finished with Kevlar thread diagonally wrapped and Dacron cloth.

2. mike

mike Well-Known Member

I'll bet that impact wrench in the second photo came in real handy during this build. :shock:

Seriously, though, please keep us updated on the build - it looks very interesting.

Mike

3. texastom

texastom Well-Known Member

Looks great! I check out the Geo Aerolite website from time to time and have wondered how they worked the Kevlar. Thanks for posting your build.

4. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Looks more like a boat now that you have it right side up. Will you have to turn it over again to stretch/weave the kevlar? Is that the next step?

beekeeper

5. swampwood

Mike,
    That is not an impact, it is a portable drill-driver (best tool ever invented).

6. swampwood

The Kevlar is weaved in a diagonal pattern and held in place with hot glue tape. This build is not like the other SOF builds on this site, because there is no sewing involved. The Dacron is held in place with hot glue tape and then heated to make it shrink.

7. swampwood

I am working on the supports for and the floor boards. Then flip it over and start the Kevlar.

8. mike

mike Well-Known Member

Please keep us updated with lots of pictures.

Mike

9. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

I was a bit surprized to see black walnut in there. That's pretty much a northern hardwood, I thought.

10. swampwood

Although there are a few scattered trees around. I would imagine they were planted. It is not native, but they do seem to grow down south. This BW actually came from Iowa.

11. Kayak Jack

It was my Dad's favorite wood to work with. Three of his tables are near me as I write this. And, black walnuts are still my favorite nut to eat.
    A skin on stick boat is where early aircraft construction came from. Everything up to metal aircraft emulated them. When we switched to aluminum, the pieces were still pretty much the same design, but metallic.

12. swampwood

Well Floor Boards are in and now comes the part I hate. Getting it ready for Urethane.

13. Kayak Jack

SW, would you want a reinforcing brace under the existing longeron that supports the seat? Say, about a foot and a half to two foot long?

Just looking and thinking of a fellow slipping, and coming dow harder than planned.

14. swampwood

They show gussets under the seat frames. I made the seats wider than was called for, so I thought about screwing them into the ribs. They are also epoxied.

15. Kayak Jack

Good idea. Never hurts to have it a bit stronger than we think is actually necessary.

16. swampwood

Been sanding and decided to take some pics of the bottom and show what it took to get the floor boards in.

17. Kayak Jack

That's a good sized boat!

18. swampwood

I was looking for something light to haul on top of my tow vehicle. Finally bought a 36' motorhome and have been re-modeling it and hope to do some traveling.
    Plan to spend some time around Lakes Superior and Michigan, been a long time since I have spent some time there. Around 50 years.

19. mike

mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, I really appreciate your showing us how this goes together.

Mike

20. Kayak Jack

Speak to me of places you plan to,visit on Lake Michigan, and on Gitchie Gumi?