Some Darn good Brown Rice, Really good Rice. | SouthernPaddler.com

Some Darn good Brown Rice, Really good Rice.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's

If you have not tried this ... You might want to. It is some Brown Basmati Rice and it is out of this world. :D

When you cook it .... it has the mild aroma of popcorn and after it is cooked and you can really enjoy it the mild corn flavor which is there along with a mild nutty flavor makes this the best brown rice I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying for a meal.

The folks at Lundberg Family Farms package it ..... http://www.lundberg.com/ and you need to check with there web site to locate a dealer because you will not find it in the local Grocery Store only Health Food or Specialty Stores have it, anyway they are the only places around here that have it.

This is the rice I am going to use when camping and at home.

One of the camping meals I like when out by myself is to take some rice and beans, dried, Put them in the Nalagene bottle in the morning , add the proper amount of water and let it roll around in the bottom of the boat till supper time.
Then take the mix and put it in a pot and heat it up for supper, a simple but tasty and stick to your ribs supper. (if you add some onion , ham and other goodies it does not hurt at this time) I have been using plain rice or wild rice but not anymore.......... It has been replaced as of tonight.
I am sitting here typing this and can still taste those wonderful flavors from this rice. Boy they would go good with some ham.

Chuck.

JEM

When you mix the rice, is it 50-50 water/rice ratio?

In other words does the serving size match what you'd expect from Minute Rice?

Thinking about sending some of this to my dad for his birthday. Prices don't look too bad for gourmet rice.

JEM

Interesting. So that would yield more servings per pound of uncooked rice than instant rice. Price just got cheaper.

Found a local co-op/market that carries it in the packs but not in bulk. They carry other brands of Brown Basmati Rice.

Chuck, is this brand the best you've found or is it just this type of rice you enjoy?

I might have to do a sampler pack of their different brands. Buying in bulk may be the way to go.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
So far as a treat at supper time this is the best we have located and we are always trying something new. It sure puts minute rice to shame.

As I put in the one post ...... When it is cooking (50 minutes at a simmer after coming to a boil then 10 more off the burner) it has the faint aroma of pop corn and the taste is there when you enjoy it along with a very mild nutty flavor and it is all in the rice .... Nothing has been added to it.
The only thing I added to it while cooking besides the water was one pat of butter which is optional.

Chuck.

JEM

ok I picked up a bag at the local health food place. We're going to give it a go tonight.

Stuff is a little pricey here...$3.50 before tax for the 2 pound bag. If it's good and we want to buy a lot, might be cheaper to have it delivered.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
ok I picked up a bag at the local health food place. We're going to give it a go tonight.

Stuff is a little pricey here...$3.50 before tax for the 2 pound bag. If it's good and we want to buy a lot, might be cheaper to have it delivered.

So is a good aged "T" Bone Steak or a fine center cut pork roast trimmed and minus a lot of the fat. Sometimes a little more out of the wallet gives a lot more pleasure or enjoyment since you don't have to use so much of it to really enjoy all of it then it adds up to a savings , less waste. :wink:

A little goes a long way but it is to the taste of the person enjoying it, everyone does not have the same likes or dislikes.

I am going to have some with a Mexican Meatloaf that I did today for supper. :D

Chuck.

JEM

Well the verdict is in. 3 out 4 in the house liked it.

Wife and daughter loved it. I thought it was very good, son likes my rice with the bullion cubes and onion powder better. :roll:

I would have given higher marks but I think I over/under cooked it just a tad. Didn't seem as fluffy and light as it could have been.

Chuck - is yours a little stickier than white rice? Or did I peak under the lid too many times?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mine came out just right ... not sticky ... cooked and nice and light ....Ya have to leave the cover on it no matter how hard it is to surpress that desire to look or sniff, which is hard to do when it is cooking. :wink:

When it is done (including the 10 min just sitting there) then you can take to top off the pot then fluff it ......... NOT BEFORE THEN. This is not minute rice just real rice they way nature meant it to be. :D

Chuck.........

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

Rice cookin' in a Black 'n Decker Rice Cooker iz quik 'n eazy. I used ta cook rice in a pot....the Cajun way. Cookin' rice aint hard science. I kin tell ya what I call the Cajun style cookin', but the Black & Decker works jest fine.

The big problem iz the how they prepare the rice. Ya want the husk removed, but not the good stuff. If they dont remove the good stuff, the rice will spoil....unless ya keep it in the ice box.

regards,
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Hunter S. Thompson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Another easy way to cook rice is to steam it in a plastic bag. Use one of Ms Jean's BakePackers, or a regular steamer basket like you use for steaming veggies.

Place rice, water, salt, and garlic (you DO cook garlic in everything - DON'T YOU!!??), in a lightweight plastic bag. "Food & bread storage bags" are perfect. Put an inch of water into the pan, turn on the heat to get it to a boil, set the bag on the steamer & cover the pot. Turn the heat down some, but it still needs to be on a low boil.

35-40 minutes later, turn off heat. Let it set about 10-15 minutes. Be careful lifting out the bag - it's HOT.

I serve straight from the bag, but you folks may not be as elite and kultured as me. Some folks do pour it out into a dish to serve from.

I add onions, diced chicken, celery, etc. to the rice usually. Let it cook right in. JARVIS good eatin'!