Some new bows | SouthernPaddler.com

Some new bows

dawallace45

I've been a bit slack lately because I've been making bows and haven't taken the time to post them on the site , I meant to but I tend to spend most of my time in the workshop with one project or another when I'm home so posting to the site some times takes a back seat , but it's raining today and too wet for the work I had planed so here are some pics

P1000315.jpg

P1000318.jpg

P1000321.jpg

P1000323.jpg

P1000324.jpg

P1000328.jpg

P1000329.jpg

P1000330.jpg

All bows have Kwila risers and the laminations are coffee bamboo flooring , the tip overlays are Buffalo horn , one is a 32LB bow for my wife another is a 40lb bow and the third is a 45lb bow with all parallel laminations

The 45# bow come out best , I had a problem with my air hose dropping it's guts under the heat with the first two , had it fixed by the third , one of those things where the hose would hold pressure all night but loose it all with in half a hour under the heat , after the second bow the leak become worse and I could find and fix it

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice looking bows, David. I like the looks and feel of a classic type of longbow. My buddies tell me that bamboo makes some excellent laminations and a fast shooting bow. Nothing like shooting a weapon you made, eh? 8)

I had the same experience with the air hose springing a leak at the wrong time. Mine tested fine until I had the bow all glued up and the hose wrapped on and filled. As I was putting it into the hot box, I heard the dreaded hissing sound. I had a minor cussing fit until I had the idea of spraying in a can of Fix-a-flat. I tilted the whole bow/bowform back and forth until the tiny hole sputtered and finally quit leaking. The bow went through the curing process with no more leaking. Whew!!

Joey

dawallace45

Gentlemen , Thank you

Joey

The coffee bamboo flooring seems to give a lighter poundage than the natural , this may be because the coffee one is caramelized from heating , I find using the flooring gives a very even lamination and the bow a nice smooth draw with no stacking , the last bow is all parallels , no tapers at all and to me this bow seems slightly faster than the others , some of the other guys on Ozbow have been experimenting with parallels and most of us think for some of the longbow styles this may be the way to go , a mate down at Bundaberg has been experimenting with different limb timbers and likes the Sallee Wattle he got from me as he reckons it brings up the poundage for a given thickness of lamination but the Tulip wood he used a few weeks ago on his latest bow brings the poundage right up , this is one of the reasons I like the bamboo flooring , with the different timbers you can get some dramatic differences of draw weight for the same thickness of laminations , even with the same timber but from different trees , with bamboo flooring it seems more even and repeatable