Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Here are a few more pics of some of my older projects
First boat a Wee Lassie
weelassie002.jpg

#2 was the strip built whitehall. no pics :cry:

#3 a lapstrake of my own design
canoe2b001-1.jpg

#4's & $5 built in tandem on a rotating jig were identical except for color banding t ocustomer's orders
canoe3and4a001.jpg

canoe3e001.jpg

My mahogany plywood runabout w/ antique Evinrude. It was amazingly fast for only a 25 horse
speedboat001.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Now there ya go Ron and Mick build'em two at a time that would catch me up quick. Tell us about the lapstrake. How it on the water?

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
The lapstrake was sweet. I built it for a customer. His goal was a 15 1/2 ' boat what weighed less than 40 pounds, had good tracking and lots of secondary stability.

I drew a boat with a nice round bottom, gentle flair and no tumblehome. I put a total of 3" rocker in the boat and 15 degrees rake in the stem and stern. I wanted 6 strakes to keep the lines flowing and keep it from looking boxy

Once I had if lofted to full size I built plywood stations and added 3/4 inch stringers where I thought I wanted the laps. This 3D skeleton let me look at all the curves and view it from every angle before I cut the first piece of plywood. I wasn't happy with the stringer spacing at each station on the first go, so I moved things until I was completely happy with the lines.
I faired the stringers with a block plane and guide bar so I'd have flat clamping surfaces.

The skeleton allowed me to lay my skarfed plywood directly onto the jig and trace the edge of the stringer with a permanent marker. Then I'd clamp 2 panels together and cut both sides at the same time.

Each strake would get epoxied and clamped together. I belevel the edge of each strake so the next strake would have at least 1/2 inch of flat surface for gluing. Each strake got and epoxy fillet inside and out as the boat neared completion.

Gunnels, seats, and thwart added tons of rigidity to the boat. I'll uplaod a few more pics of this one later.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Here are a couple more pics of the lapstrake canoe
The first shows how the strakes overlap and the stem profile. I had to cut a tapered rebate into the ends of the strakes to get it nice and flat. The ends were eopxied to the inner stems and got 3 screws in each strake.
The garboards were glued and screwed to the keel batten.
canoe2a001-1.jpg

Here you can see the keel batten and how the strakes looked on the inside as well as how the seats were epoxied to the strakes. The seats did have support risers glued to the strake below where they were resting on the lap.
noah003.jpg

This shot shows the gunnels and nice color of the cherry inner stem head.
noah002.jpg

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Kayak Jack said:
Great craftsmanship, and nice design. Hug your little girl for us, we're fond of kids and boats.

I keep trying, she's still my baby girl at home but she's almost 15 now and too cool for hugs from Daddy in public :cry:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I understand the trails and tribulations of teen aged kids. You start talking with a 14 year old, and mid-sentence she becomes a 21 year old, and is about 7 or 8 at the end of the sentence. Leaves dad kinda lost in the dust somewhere.

I expect the Wee Lassie is great for solo day trips. easy to load and unload etc.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Kayak Jack said:
I expect the Wee Lassie is great for solo day trips. easy to load and unload etc.

Yeah it is. The only problem is that I'm about 40 pounds heavier than when those pics were taken, so I don't have much freeboard. I spend my time in the plywood yak now.

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
T Busy:

Nice runabout. There was one here where I live, for sale, that just sold for $5000 without the motor. It was built from plans from Popular Mechanics or one of those old mags. When I was a teenager, I built a 3 point hydro, from plans from Popular Mechanics and raced it in local races.

JC

Jim

digr57

Feb 1, 2008
Tallahassee fl
Very nice work. I plan on building a John Winters design Osprey stripper in the near future,glad to see some strip builders on here. I may need to ask some questions along the way.

Russ

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
digr57 said:
Very nice work. I plan on building a John Winters design Osprey stripper in the near future,glad to see some strip builders on here. I may need to ask some questions along the way.

Russ
You only need a few things to build a stripper:
Listed in order of importance for success
Patience, LOTS of clamps, about 5000 staples, and plenty of beer

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
JAYCEESFOLLY said:
T Busy:

Nice runabout. There was one here where I live, for sale, that just sold for $5000 without the motor. It was built from plans from Popular Mechanics or one of those old mags. When I was a teenager, I built a 3 point hydro, from plans from Popular Mechanics and raced it in local races.

JC

Jim
I always wanted to build a hydro. i used to have a souped up 9.9 that combo would have been a lots of fun.