Sourdough bread and Corn muffins | SouthernPaddler.com

Sourdough bread and Corn muffins

islandpiper

On Dec. 23rd my old friend from Texas stopped in for a day and brought me some sourdough starter. I have been using and tending it and today made a loaf of sourdough bread. That's in the oven right now.

On the way home today i swung into the Goodwill Store, may favorite shopping place. There was a nice OLD cast iron muffin pan, just begging me to take it home and make sweet, cornbread muffins . It didn't take long to scrub it, and season it in the oven and mix up a batch of batter. I've always thought the best cornbread is made in cast iron that has been heated up HOT before baking. These were hot, sweet and light, and rose up out of the cups in the pan like they were eager to get away. A little butter, and a little honey, and man, oh man.....that's some good eats.

piper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Pouring the batter into a preheated cast iron skillet with some oil in it is the only way I've ever done it.

It seems to be one of the better ways to season a pan, too.

GBinGA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here's a recipe I got off the box of cornmeal:
Tex-Mex Cornbread
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar (I like brown sugar)
2 Tbsp oil
1 egg, beaten
½ cup milk
1 ea 8 ½ oz can cream style corn
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar
1 small onion, minced
2-3Tbsp jalapeños or peeled green chili
Mix all well. 8” square pan, greased. 450° 20-30 minutes

I usually make a double batch, and add more jalapeños than the recipe calls for, also some minced garlic. I particularly like it because it has no white flour in, true cornbread. Soak some real maple syrup on it - JARVIS good eatin'!

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I like to have a little bacon grease heated to barely smoking when I pour the cornbread batter into the cast iron skillet. Yum!

Mike