South Fork Alafia River 1-25-04 | SouthernPaddler.com

South Fork Alafia River 1-25-04

Pirogue

In Fridays paper, our local outdoor writer had an article on Alafia River State Park. This is the park where I normally mountain bike and sometimes fish the old phosphate pits.

I didn't know, until Mr. Sargent wrote that the South Fork of my home Alafia river is an easy launch just about a mile to the south of the park entrance.

Hmm....

It's Sunday, the wife and daughter are out, the chores are done, and the canoe is fixed. I'ma goin splorin!

I head down to the put in off of Thatcher Rd. Taking my time, I load the canoe, and rig my fly rod. The idea wasn't to fish, but you have to bring the rod just in case.

The river is the typical tea color. The flow, very light. I think most of the flow was surface water being pushed by a pretty good southern breeze. The sun high, and the temp is in the 70's. I am starting to regret the decision to wear jeans.

I decide to head upstream. Being this was mainly unplanned, and I was solo, I didn't want to get to far downstream and have to fight my way back up to the truck.

On the left bank are a couple of men with the cane poles fishing for Sunday dinner. A quick good morning and I just paddle on by.

Ahead, only about an 1/8th mile from the launch is a fork. The water is flowing from the right fork, so I will go left for a bit.

I pass on the right, a little bunch of spatterdock (a type of water lilly) and notice a green heron. She watches me pas, and I am just floating by watching it balance on the vegetation. Then, I get a quick startle.

Sunning himself on the bank, just past my friend the heron is I would estimate a 10-11 ft alligator. Not wanting to disturb him/her, I just silently paddle by.

I realy should start bringing a camera more often.

Dead end, so I slowly turn the canoe around. Not because I was being careful mind you. But it was so peaceful, I didn't want to make any uneccesary commotion.

To my right is a Grey Catbird hoping thru the bushes. WHen I lived in Loxahatchee, I used to watch the Catbirds and Tohees out my front window as they ate under my bird feeder.

Now I am heading up the right fork. Here the water is extremely clear, but still the color of tea. The bottom is littered with open clam shells. Something has been feeding.

I am also passing over old submerged trees. How old were they when they fell? And I wonder how long have the been submerged. To the right, I see an armadillo rooting in the soft muck.

I am under a canopy of oak, and cypress branchs. Bald from the harsh Central Florida winter. There are also cabbage palms, still having fronds of green rising from the rivers bank.

As the river makes a left hand bend, I notice the 40 ft river turns into an approx 200 yd wide lake. The distinct riverbank has now changed to a flat myrtle filled marsh. Wading birds are now scattered everywhere.

Roseate spoon bills, white ibis, black ibis, great blue herons, snowy egrets, cow birds, coots, wood storks, and about 100 yds ahead, a flock of ducks bolt to the sky.

The wind is now to my face and blowing pretty good. Everytime I get a bit to the side, I have to paddle like heck to get back on course. The one thing I figured is, it is time to work on some upper body strength.

Finally across the lake, it now seems like I am in the marsh. The water is low, vegetation thick, but I still try to punch my way thru.

While crossing the lake I passed at least a half of a dozen gators. Some splashed in the water, others slowly slid in, and some were just content to watch me pass. Being I was outnumbered, I decided to turn around and use the wind to move me back across the lake.

Now, since I am with the wind, I can look over and explore under the water.

When I look down, I notice some fish I had never seen before. This is bizzare. I am no stranger to the water, caught tons of fish. But have never seen anything like this in my life. They were on the bottom, docile, and absolutly everywhere.

I posted the description on another board when I got home and the answer was given pretty quick.

You know those algae eaters you have in your fish tank? Well some rocket scientist let some go. For your info, in the wild, they reach about 18 inches and multiply like rabbits. I am told they are Plecostomus and they are one ugly critter.

Heading back down the lake, I notice a little patch of water lillys. Maybe a return trip when there is more water around and the the water plants grow a bit more. It looks like it could produce some nice largemouth.

Floating down the river, back in the narrows, I just use my paddle as a rudder. It is working nice. The banks are higher and it looks like some nice camping for a weekend or even a night. I wonder who owns the land? Guess when I leave I will stop at the Ranger station.

To my right, are the two gentlemen I passed earlier. They didn't have any luck. I didn't think they would. I never have much luck in narrow clear water.

Passing under the bridge, I decide to venture downstream a peaice just to see what is going on.

The bottom now rises pretty quick to me and I am navigating around a few logs. A rigt hand bend greats me but my passage is blocked by two fallen cabbage palms.

Do I want to portage around them and continue? Nah. Iv'e had a good paddle, I'm going to the house. I will paddle this section another day.

I turn around and start against the current. Under the canoe I see bass zipping one direction then the other. No real size but it is good to see them. Now I know they are here.

Now I am all loaded in my big white pick em up truck heading 50 miles an hour up the asphalt road. The park entrance is on the right and I pull in and ask about ownership of the river bank. The Ranger tells me it is the property of the park. "Great!" I reply. "Is it possible to get a permit to primitive camp back there? She says, "Sorry not at this time, but maybe in the future".

POP! There goes my balloon. But what the heck. I had a great paddle. Saw lots of animals, and relaxed before another week of work.

And my friends ask me why I don't go to Church.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue

If that fish (the algae sucker) is the armored catfish the Hispanics over here use a cast net to get them. They say that is some good eating, I will take there word for it but they are getting buckets of them out of the St.Johns River in the Puzzle Lake (hatbill) area.

The darn things are bothering the Manatees also, they try to get the algae off the Manatee it irritates them.
Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Thanks. It wuz purty here Sunday, but the wind wuz blowin' somethin' awful 'n ever creek 'n ditch wuz plum full frum the all day rain Saturday.

regards,

bearridge