Southern Paddler forum upgrade notice | SouthernPaddler.com

Southern Paddler forum upgrade notice

Robin

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2017
Toronto, Canada
northerncoder.ca
Hey everyone. Southern Paddler has had some system updates/upgrades performed which you undoubtedly noticed.

Included in the upgrade besides a visual overhaul, is GDPR compliance and stability patches (hopefully) from upgrading the forum software to the latest version.

I also plan to be adding a few new features and tweaking the forum theme to better match the outdoorsy content of the site (color scheme, logo etc).
Let me know if there are any quirks introduced with this latest version.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Thanks for all the work of updating the site.

Not being a smart arse, just out of curiosity, who cares about GDPR , or the EU for that matter?

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thanks for all the work of updating the site.

Not being a smart arse, just out of curiosity, who cares about GDPR , or the EU for that matter?

Mike

Not sure what GDPR or EU is but since Robin is running this forum threw his server and doing all the work to keep it up. These changes are unique and interesting , definitely something different from the old way it was done.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Chuck,

The The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU and EEA. The GDPR aims primarily to give control to citizens and residents over their personal data and to simplify the regulatory environment for international business by unifying the regulation within the EU.

Since it only applies to the EU, I don't plan to waste any time on coming into compliance on my US site. Unless you are planning to move your hosting to an EU member county, I doubt it is worth Robin's efforts. Not to belittle his efforts, by any means. Website upkeep is a pain in the kazoo and I am behind on mine. Thanks again, Robin and Chuck, we appreciate the site.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chuck,

The The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU and EEA. The GDPR aims primarily to give control to citizens and residents over their personal data and to simplify the regulatory environment for international business by unifying the regulation within the EU.

Mike...

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a computer person but your explanation tells the reason why.
Since it is a required by law for the European Area and this is threw Robins server in Canada. :) Also we have folks on here that are in the European areas ( across the pond ) it offers them what is required by their laws.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It seems that new procedures for posting pictures could/should be established? We seem to have collections of various techniques written up in times past, but what procedures should we really be using now? And once that is established, the older methods that no longer apply should be removed. We seem to have a set of new opportunities now.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
test resize.jpg
Test for posting Picture from computer file.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Jack here is a start. I opened the picture in paint, found resize in the top menu bar and put 25 percent in the reduce size window. saved it and attached to post.
I think I'm more suited to fishing than putters.

Good Fish'n
Andy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure if anyone has noticed in the last few days but Robin has been making some changes on here. Combining sections , eliminating some and generally rearranging the format. Even making it into three different sections.
The upgrade is easier to know where to look and in the process has given us a really new modern look.