Sparkeys Different Hobby......... | SouthernPaddler.com

Sparkeys Different Hobby.........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just to answer a few questions ..... No I have different hobbies then building boats from wood but these hobbies also involve wood as you will see and are for my enjoyment. Only been doing this since 87. :D

Long Nose Gar :D
carvings%20001.jpg

Catfish in the woods :D
carvings%20002.jpg

Smiling at you :D
carvings%20003.jpg

Lunch ...Anyone :D
carvings%20004.jpg

Just for your information one of these resting gators is in the museum in Leningrad over in the USSR.... I gave it to a friend of mine that lives there and who in turn put it in the museum over there.
Don't Ask it is a long story..... really long story :D

carvings%20005.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I just do them for my pleasure and fun........ All of them including the base is about 5 inches in length so the carvings are shorter then that , except for the resting Gator who is a full 12 inches ..... I did several shorter ones for friends and they were only 6 inches long.

I also have herons, ducks and even some Texas Turtles (Armadillos with young tagging along) in my collection but I did not want to bore all of you with them.
See them in the wild ..... then come home and carve them out of spare wood.
:lol: Now I have a camera......

Chuck.

Danoinark

Feb 10, 2005
Arkansas Ozarks
Nice

Chuckusangelo

I am so pleasantly surprised and amazed. Those are some of the finest carvings along with the displays that I have ever seen. Those should be in galleries and for sale to those that truly appreciate fine art and yes museums too. I am certainly impressed.

Dano

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
I would absolutely love to have one of your resting gators if you do requests and I would pay for your time.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Nice Chuck----

VERY nice indeed. Shoulda known that a tofu-eating, latte' drinker was an artiste too. :lol:
Seriously, (won't happen again---promise) I hope you haven't given up the carving. You show too much talent to allow it to languish. OF

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
Carvings

Gotta hand it to you Chuck.....these are some fine lookin carvings....I especailly like the catfish....almost looks real...you certainly captured their image in wood....and you say you've only been doing this since 1987? Imagine what you can do in the next 25 years.... :mrgreen: I'm really impressed ......CamperDave

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
Dang Chuck!

Let me know too if you take requests!

I get a lot of requests ..........All of the requests I get is to camp 100 yards away from everyone and to stop snoring or to sit down and shut up, not to burn the soup or bacon and to make sure the TP is at the comfort chair in the woods and all of the poison ivy is removed.
Sometimes they even let me paddle with the group and not way in the back of the flotilla.
They are some really nice, kind, considerate guy's (when they are sleeping) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Chuck,

Beautiful work mate, Some tips please (if you don't mind) I have a couple of genuine psychopaths working for me and this might be just the ticket to keep em occupied. :D

regards,

Mick

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Hi Chuck,

Beautiful work mate, Some tips please (if you don't mind) I have a couple of genuine psychopaths working for me and this might be just the ticket to keep em occupied. :D

regards,

Mick

Mick
And you want to trust them with some sharp knives... better to have them go fishing.

I noticed you stuck a pin in the Geezer Paddling Clud map..... http://www.frappr.com/oldgeezerspaddlinclud It is always nice to have a paddler place a pin in there , the more the better.
Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey Chuck,

I know what you mean about the sharp implements and these blokes :D They seem OK though as long as they are focused on something. One bloke is particualr comes to mind. He badgered me into teaching him some basic woodturning and the rest, he taught himself through books etc.
In two years, he has become the most competent wood turner, I have ever seen and his works are sold at an annual prisoner art exhibition with the proceeds going to a local children's hospital.

This bloke will never be released and neither should he be. In two years, however, he has progesssed from pacing his exercise yard like a caged predatory animal to a relatively calm and reasonable and manageable person. He has not hurt anyone since he discovered woodturning and I like to think that I might have played some small part in that.

I'm rambling again, I'm sorry mate, I just get a bit carried away sometimes. i was kinda hoping you would say you used a dremel or something like that as apposed to carving knives etc.

Oh, and what is a frappr

regards,

Mick.

JEM

hairymick said:
This bloke will never be released and neither should he be. In two years, however, he has progesssed from pacing his exercise yard like a caged predatory animal to a relatively calm and reasonable and manageable person. He has not hurt anyone since he discovered woodturning and I like to think that I might have played some small part in that.

Mick, sounds like you done good. You got plenty reason to be proud and brag on yourself a little. You gave his life a little purpose. Sometimes, that's all a man needs to be happy. Maybe if someone had shown him years ago, you never would have met him.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

You asked what is a Frappr? I have no idea but here is what they say it is from the Frapper folks that have the web site for the Geezer Paddlers Clud. . http://www.frappr.com/oldgeezerspaddlinclud

Chuck....................................................

What is Frappr?
Frappr is an online tool that lets you map out the city where you live, work, vacation, or anything else! You can then share your unique URL with friends and find out where the rest of them live and work in relation to everyone else. It's great for keeping in touch with friends, families, and groups! You can also share photos, private message them, or leave comments on their MyFrappr homepage.

2. What does Frappr stand for?
Frappr = Friend Mapper

3. What's a shoutout?
A shoutout is simply a message to share with the Frappr group. People can type a personal message or something like "Hi everyone!"

4. What's a tag?
Tagging your Frappr or Photos means to add keywords that are related to your map or photo. For example, if your Frappr or Photo is about iPods, you can tag on additional words such as "apple", "music", or "itunes".

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hitch hiking on what Chuckie sez, your "pin" in the map will need to be adjusted for precise location. It first goes to just somewhere within your ZIP - mine was in a park about 4 miles away. You can zoom in on the map and move your pin to exactly where you want it to be.

Chuckie, (I just LOVE calling an olde geezer "Chuckie") I'm thinking we may want to start another map and pin set. The one we have shows where we live. Mebbe we could have one of where we paddle?

I have two mapping systems that I use: (1) DeLorme Street Atlas for roads, businesses, lakes, ponds, foot trails, rivers, streams, and a few sink drains too.

I also use (2) Expert GPS which is the up-to-date topo maps of the entire continental USA.

I'd recommend both of these programs to any serious traveler/ paddler/ geezer-in-training.