Spices | SouthernPaddler.com

Spices

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Some folks think that just salt and pepper are spice. Well, yeah. And just a Renault is a car, too. But not much of one.

Here is a net site for the folks who like to cook and like the flavor of good food. http://www.penzeys.com/ Grocery store spices can be up to 5 years old. These folks sell fresh spices for a fraction of what you pay at the grocery store for the worn out stuff.

They do business via Internet, so you don't have to drive to the store, and you don't have to smell the luscious aromas of all the ingredients, and you don't have to smell each one individually, and you don't have to talk to the folks in the store for advice, and ...

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

If ya buy a large size of any ground spice, keep it in the ice box....'er freeze some of it. That iz why ya buy cayene pepper off the grocery shelf that dont have no taste 'er kick. If ya caint use it in 3-4 months, dont leave it on the shelf.

I got some chili peppers I ground 'n mixed with jalapeno 'n cayene in my ice box. Had it since 1798. It still does the job. :mrgreen:

I buy a small chunk of fresh ginger root, roll it up in some Saran wrap 'n freeze it. When I grab my wok, I pull out the ginger 'n slice off some shavings fer my stir fry. A dollars worth will last bout ten years. Aye Laddie. :wink: [Careful............shavin' frozen ginger root....dont wanna cut yer finger off.]

regards
bearridge

If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. Mickey Mantle

islandpiper

I have family in Indianapolis and always shop in the big Penzys store there. Heaven, truley heaven........they not only have EVERYTHING, but they have sniffing/tasting jars of EVERYTHING open for yhour convenience......bring a box of money.

Great stuff.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I bought a pepper grinder with a ceramic grinder. I've had the metal ones; they work for a while. I bought a cheaper one that has plastic grinders. Pepper corns are harder than the grate.

I have a granite mortar & pestle to grind whole spices. That makes a great aroma.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Miz Bear wants the flowers off my wild garlic. [Dont ask....it iz like the CIA.] I tole her ta take what she wants. The long stems bout ta fall over anyway. I hear ya kin eat the leaves 'n the flowers, but I'll take the hindmost....the garlic bulbs. I still have some bulbs frum last year. They cook up purty good.

Now if I jest knew where ta find some poke salad....chomp, chomp. :lol:

regards
bearridge

And remember, no matter where you go, there you are. Buckaroo Banzai

islandpiper

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN;

We have set up an account for Kayak Jack at the Penzey's store. You all can contribute to it and help put a little spice in an old geezer's life, just make your checks out to "Spice up life for a Geezer" and send it to Penzey's.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Now if I jest knew where ta find some poke salad....chomp, chomp. :lol:

Ya can POKE around in the canned goods at the store for some Allen's Poke Salet Greens (that is how they spell it) or go out in the woods and poke around for some pokeweed. Common name Poke Salet

Young tender leaves are the best.
polkwd2b.gif

Older plant with its berries.
phyame1b.jpg

Chuck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN;

We have set up an account for Kayak Jack at the Penzey's store. You all can contribute to it and help put a little spice in an old geezer's life, just make your checks out to "Spice up life for a Geezer" and send it to Penzey's.
You are truly a good friend, Piper san. I'll drive over tomorrow and clean out the store! Thanks.