Spring time in th south..still cold up thar! | SouthernPaddler.com

Spring time in th south..still cold up thar!

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
A curious fellow died one day and found himself waiting in the long
line of judgment. As he stood there he noticed that some souls were
allowed to march right through the pearly gates into Heaven. Others
though, were led over to Satan who threw them into the burning pit.

But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan
would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile. After watching
Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the best of him.
So he strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing.

"Excuse me, Prince of Darkness," he said. "I'm waiting in line for
judgment, but I couldn't help wondering, why are you tossing those
people aside instead of flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the
others?"

"Ah, those. . ." Satan said with a groan. "They're all from Mi. and Pa.
They're still too cold and wet to burn."

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ohhhhhhhhh Swampy?

What's up Swampy. Watch'n Weather Channel this AM. 4" of snow in Texas moving east thru the south? In the mid 40 degree range in North Caroliny today? Sun is is shining and going up to the mid 40's here today in the cold north. Gritz on the ground is all gone. Are you blow'n smoke up my butt about the warm sunny south? Same temp here as in NC! Don't you find that strange Swampy? :wink:

Lurker

Dec 6, 2003
Sun City, Arizona
Winter is about over here in the valley of the sun. :lol: Our winter normally is from 1/15 to 2/15, (some times it down to the low fortys) then it warms up again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lurker

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Right now 40 degrees Farenheit would overwhelm our hospital emergency room with heat stroke cases! I'm waiting for the michigan summer (July 4) and the "Indian" summer (July 5).

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK!

OK Lurker! You wanna play, we can play!!! :x
WE HAVE MANY MANY LAKES AND RIVERS TO FISH AND PADDLE IN FOR OUR FUN!!!!! AND! IN SUMMER, WE STILL NEED A FRYING PAN TO COOK OUR EGGS, NOT A SIDEWALK!!!
Now where is that emoticon with a tounge sticking out?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lurker

Dec 6, 2003
Sun City, Arizona
Old yaker,

But the EPA type folks love me as I don't need to cut down any trees to cook with. :roll: And that is very cool. :wink: THAT IS THE ONLY THING COOL HERE IN THE SUMMER :lol:

Lurker

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Swampy said:
(SNIP) [A develish term, ehh?]
"Ah, those. . ." Satan said with a groan. "They're all from Mi. and Pa. They're still too cold and wet to burn."
Don't make no difference. We Nawtherners iz solid rock, and flint don't burn anyway. It CAME from a volcano in the first place.

Tain't like soft limestone and sandstone like is broadcast around the south; they're both SEDIMENTARY rocks. (And I think there are some examples of metamorphic ones down there too.)

OK, Swampus, ball's back in your court now.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
chip...chip...chip... (trying to get ice off of nawthern borderz)
I see Oldyaker isn't apreciating our "kindness" of allowing an exchange of sum warm air fer sum o thar cold.... :?
Tx gave up to much I see.... :cry:
Now OY maybe enjoyin sum southern breezes, but Jack an Bar Buddy ain't!
Went to th' mall.... more vehicles wit nawthern tags than locals.... wonder why?

Summer here is un-bearable!!!! :shock: Yanks have taken up all th motels and such!!!! Recon Carolina summerz feel good to ice people.... :lol:

mmmmmm our "song" beginz wit " I wish I waz in th' land o ....."
Tharz startz off " My eys haz seen the glory o th comin o th Lawd...." I'm thinkin hitz cauze o th thaw at th Mason Dizon line headin south fer a warm up...

Update: Robins (yard covered in them ) talkin to each otter," Damn hitz cold hare!"
The otter seiz," Yea, but at lest our asses ain't drawed up th size o grit seed!"
Which reminds me , I gotta go check on the mules... :wink:
swampy :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Bout 2 days back a hunerd robins showed up here. They went ta singin' up a storm. Bout 20 cedar waxwings wuz up in the midst of 'em. Carolina chickadees 'n wrens been raisin' a ruckus too. They figger its gwine ta git warm soon.

Suckers!

Two squirrels iz playin' tag in the rain.

regards,

bearridge

Judge yer success by what ya had ta give up in order ta git it. Dali Lama

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bro Bar, th red wing black birds iz jumin in wit th robins too. Rain ain't slowin um up atall.
We waz enjoy'in sum high 50s round boutz, but turned nasty when Old Yaker opened up that ground rat o' hiz last 2nd o dee month... :cry:

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The troubles of living in the South. Here it is February and it should be cold but instead the house is open, fresh air thru the place and the relaxing sound of a summer type of rain coming down on the area. The rain on the back porch is really nice to listen to and relaxing after checking on what is happening on this forum and waiting for the epoxy, on the boat to set up.

Got some squirrels out in the back yard wanting and getting some of the parrots old food we throw out there and pups is going nut's wanting to chase them .. If I let him out then he would chase off the doves that are feeding along with the little finches and cardinals.
Yep the soft sound of wildlife, rain and the wonderful temperature of 72 degrees. Now if that epoxy just would cure then I can get some more work done on the boat and quite thinking about napping, a light rain on a metal roof always does that to me along with these mild tempertures. Shorts and "T" shirts forever. :D It's a hard life but someone has to do it.
Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks!

Thanks for the hot air you southern crackers, it got up near 50 today.
The hot air we get always comes from the south. :)
I live about 30 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line, so I guess we warm up first. Just keep your hot air down there come May, June, July, August and September. We enjoy those 72 degree summer days up here in those months. Swampy, I figger the only Yanks that go south in the summer is the ones with 'lil carpet munchers on school vacation. I know a bunch head down to central FL to that that Rat and his big Rat Kingdom. We'll have our share of Rebs try'n to escape the summer heat, mostly retired folk. We'll fleece 'em and point 'em back south come late October after they see the pretty leaves changing. :wink:

Lurker, I didn't think you had trees to cut down out there? I drove from LV to the Grand Canyon, down thru Flagstaff to Phoenix and the only trees I seen were around Oak Creek Canyon. That was a pretty area.
I had to do that trip in June. Got up to 117 in Phoenix one day. :shock:
Everyone says, "Yea, but it's a dry heat." Right, you bake pizzas in dry ovens too! When you get 3rd degree burns on you hand touching the steering wheel on a parked car, that's hot! I did enjoy the trip and the desert was pretty. Kinda hard paddl'n a yak on sand though!

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Oldyaker ya need to get out of that cabin next month and paddle with us on the St Mary's. I know that 50 degrees isn't going to last long.... not in those mountains... Bet there's ice still on the mountain. Down here ya can fish with yer feet over the sides... but be carefull of "snappers"! :shock:

I promise that there will be oatmeal as well as gritz to chose from! :wink:

Maybe have some kilbasa for dinner! :p

And of course there's yanks down here! Who else couldn't punch a hole in paper?

swampy

A

Anonymous

-9 F tonight. You guys keep it up and I'll be coming for a visit... if I can get the dogs to hitch up and run in this weather. :mrgreen: This little face is about the color of exposed flesh up here right now.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bearsbuddy.. you may want to hold off on that trip south a tad longer. We are having some very cold air right now. While it's only cold rain here, some 125 miles west is having sleet/snow showers! This is working out to be one cold winter for us here in NC.
-9 and 34 is the same for me... I stay inside with both outside!
I was redaing a BWCA& Quetico e-mail news letter the other day and one guy posted thaat he and his little group were going to camp out on the lakes in BWCA with night temps going down to -34 ! One responce was that wasn't camping that was more survival training. I have to agree, that's to cold for me to enjoy it.
But it shouldn't be to long that spring will bust out here. The oak trees have already begun to form buds at the tips of the small branches ( and along them too).
swampy still stuck inside in the south

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
It's warming up! Now -7F.
The worst snowstorm I ever saw was when I was stuck at the NC/VA border in March of 93. 36 inches deep! Slept on the floor of a convienience store just South of the border. Ouch. :shock: