St, Mary's day two and three | SouthernPaddler.com

St, Mary's day two and three

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
My gear stayed dry but not me.. Why? Well for some reason I fretted over the camp and wild animals. I have been reading to much Jacobson and others on how wild animals terrorize the camps at night. I swear I heard some God awful noises during th night. I’d get out of my hammock hold onto a tree for balance and get wet from the tree. Not a cool thing to do but I never said I was cool! ;)
Bro Bar had bugs on him. He was introduced to the no seeums in Florida. Everything in his cowboy camp was wet. Vans gear didn't fair much better. Talk about being rough dudes! These guys were. Davids new tent hadn't been sealed as of yet and you guessed it! Everything he had was wet. Allen and Caleb had camped in a small ravine and got hit hard with the rain water. I think Mac complained about some wet spots, but the rest of us came through quite dry. Al did accomplish one better than the rest. His canoe was flipped over and his was the only boat dry the next morning. While we dumped about 3-4 inches of water from ours, Al got to have more time at the breakfast bar.
The mornings were beautiful!

St%20Mary%20March%2004%202.jpg
David and Bill scratching bug bites
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2033.jpg
A river pic
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2043.jpg
Harry readies for the morning take off
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2064.jpg
Fog lays over the morning river
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2045.jpg
Chuck lazily paddling Swamp Girl in the early morning
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2044.jpg
David readies his gear for a morning start

Allen and Caleb took off later than us and began fishing. Dad did the paddling and son did the catching. On this day Caleb caught six fish! As Caleb mentioned, they went to fish near a strainer and Allen was going to grab a branch to hold the canoe while Caleb fished. Thats when Caleb informed his dad that there was something else sharing that same tree limb! A snake! With quick thinking as his son was being moved straight to the snake by the current, Allen got rid of the problem with his paddle.
Speaking of snakes, some got a lesson on how to ID snakes from the water. Can you find the snake in this picture?
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2055.jpg
Some learned how to identify a cotton mouth basking in the sun. Can you find Waldo?

But there were many other wildlife to see and hear.
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2035.jpg
A hawk watches the parade of paddlers passing under him.
Reports came in about an alligator or two.
There were small feeder streams that came into the river. Their small flows made an alluring sound as they flowed into the river.
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2020.jpg
Small streams empty into the St Mary's in many places. So quiet are the days that these streams may sound like water falls.
The plants and trees were blooming everywhere.
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2056.jpg
Images on cypress. No wonder the early folks made up tales of "wood people" huh?!
Currents would be a challenge through out the trip. Here I got ahead of most and shot some pictures of them coming through a small blowdown. Not one of the more serious ones as I was doing what I could to stay dry going through them! This river is a beginners first for making headway in a fast current with strainers.
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2048.jpg
Mac enters under a stariner
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2049.jpg
Al makes it look easy
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2052.jpg
Ray and Harry cruise through
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2053.jpg
Chuck brings the Girl under it with ease.
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2054.jpg
David paddles his pirogue with ease under the limb. Note he is watching me he he he
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2050.jpg
Sometimes it's difficult to keep heading foreward and Van , I think, was showboating. ;)
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2051.jpg
Bro Bar watches from his perch as Van backpaddles the strainer. Wonder how he made it under that branch? lol
I am happy to report no one got dumped. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a few sweatersÂ

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Ya bout the pichur takinest son of a gun I ever seen. Them wuz mitey fine. Reckon I jest dont have no "good side"? :wink:

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud, president (?)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bro Bar, yer a mighty fine exsample o th southern gent if ever thar waz one. Didn't jest wonder once why I ain't in em? :mrgreen:
LOL

I'm a lookin fer sum old Loyd Bridges picturez so'es I kin substitute! :shock:

Sides.... any "swamp mermades" would hav turned on thar sirens fer ya!

elusive swampy

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
pictures

Swampy: I didn't see you taking all those pictures. Man what beauties (except for some taken of us wild men). You son-of-a-gun. Your talents are hidden under a bushel---bring them out---publish them and give old what's-his-name (Chucks favorite author, Cliff Jacobson) a run for his money.Al D.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Al, you've gone and done it now! lol
Chuck now will be watching his back for one of us to put a ground cloth under his tent! :lol:
Tis not moi but the digi cam. I merely have to keep the batteries charged and point and click. But I would like to get a camera with water proof integrety with a larger zoom lens. Some of the places that the water current placed me to take pictures would have been more comfortable had I felt better about water damage to the camera! :shock:
Chuck has sent out some vedio/audio film. Wondered what the boy was doing talking to himself so much.... he was talking to his camera. (Or so he says...) :wink:
I still haven't been able to scan your pictures. But I will ASAP.
swampy

A

Anonymous

Dapper Friend Al,

Ole Swampy done good, didnt he? Sometimes its kinda spooky ta see where us "square peggers" share some passions. I know yer a pro pichur takin' fella, but Swampy 'n the High Sheriff both take fine pichurs. Harry wuz takin' some too.

I used ta have a blackroom 'n piddled round with white'n black pichurs. It wuz some little side creeks with cypress knees that sent my pichur takin' mind ta reelin'. It looked like wee folk who had froze solid when ya put yer gaze on 'em.

It wuz some more spooky stuff.

That woman settin' up on the high bank (jest up frum the garbage dumb) went ta talkin' ta Mac 'n sent hiz canoe rite inta a big stump....well, actually it wuz a small island with a stump on it. Sometimes a woman kin turn a canoe bottom upwards quicker'n ya kin say "mitey fine day aint it maam?". I reckon she wuz one a them sireens. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Al sent me his pictures and here are a few of them.

StMary%20March04%20%202.jpg
Bill & me top. Btm: Moi

StMary%20March04%20%203.jpg
Lf: Bill and I pull tight on the tarp to get it nice and tight during setup, while on the right Chuck pretends to bare the load.... ;)

St%20Mary%20March%2004%2059_1.jpg
Al's camp table. Sturdy!
See Al about the table. Van had one that I have been looking at this past summer. Both keep ya stuff off the ground.

I'll get more later.
swampy
if anyone wishes or wants pictures give me an e-mail and I'll get them off to ya.

Pirogue

I have never seen a more motley crew in my life. God I wish I were there.

Being so busy lately, I only have time to read bits and pieces. But it looks like the weather turned nice and everyone had a great time.

I can imagine everyone sitting around the fire, have never met yet leave being great friends. It is something I wish more people would discover.

Allen,
Not that you are looking for, or need my approval, but getting Caleb out there is probably one of the best things you can do for that boy. I wish I had that opportunity as a youngster. There is much for a boy to learn.

Great trip guys.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue

A motley crew ...(what would you expect from a southernpaddler trip ) .Yes .... A bunch of miss fits ... yes .... A bunch of nuts, definitely ... and anything else you can come up with. :?

A fun loving crew and we were in stitches, laughing all of the time, on the water or off the water, no matter how bad the weather .....you should have been there it was good medicine for all of us.

You would have really enjoyed it. ( I know you and have paddled with you...trust me when I say you would of fit in really good) :D When you get all of these nuts together the worse thing you can end up with is a Claxton Fruit Cake.... And they are darn good, lots of nuts and a dran site more fun in person then on the web and you know how bad they are on the web.

The trip was just to short but the fun is forever.
Chuck.