St.Marys ,Dec 05 ... 1 of 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

St.Marys ,Dec 05 ... 1 of 3

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well, we made the river trip and all of us had one darn good time, we ate to much, paddled to slow, got into camp to early and left camp to late just like the early river paddlers the Timucuan Indians.
For at lease 13,000 years prior to the 16th century and the appearance of European explorers the Timucuan Indians occupied this area. They had an ample source of food. Fish, Shell fish, deer, diamondback terrapins, water and wading birds and even sea mammals from the river for a protein-rich-diet.
The headwaters for the St.Marys River is the same as the Suwannee River the Okefenokee Swamp except the St.Marys also has the Pinhook Swamp feeding it making the St.Marys a Blackwater River because of all the tannin (a natural water soluble organic compound from all of the vegetation).
The St Marys is a 130 mile long river from the swamp to the ocean but in a direct line it is only 40 miles from the start to the finnish.

Sunday.............
All of us meet at Traders Hill and in the process of myself getting there I had the heater blowing all sorts of hot air around the inside of the Jeep and when gassing at Folkston I was shivering and shaking.
When I left town and went the six miles to the hill , Mac was already there and he was sitting in his truck with the heater going. It was not warm outside.

We decided to set up camp and get ready for the rest of the crew. The activity of setting up camp helped to warm you up and with a good insulated jacket it started feeling nice out side.
We gathered up a large pile of fire wood including some Mac brought from home and later when everyone was there (This trip we had Harry , Ray , Harry Jr , Gary , Larry , Bear , Mac , Joe and myself paddling the river) and then set up and comfortable, with an adult beverage we had one grand fire to keep everyone warm.
All night long there was no need for a flashlight since the moon was almost full and worked as one really great night light most of the night. This night light would shine down on us for the whole trip and was very welcome to join us for the camping.

Up in the morning (Monday) and into town and the Family Restaurant for a delicious, filling and hot breakfast of two hot cakes, two sausage patties or bacon, grits, two eggs any way you like them with all of the coffee you can drink for $4.00. After that meal and lots of hot coffee we were off to the grocery store to get the fixings for our suppers while camping.

We had a marathon going in the store with everyone getting what we decided on for our suppers, steaks, pork steaks, kilabse sausage, hot dogs, sweet potatoes, baking potatoes, beans, mustard, pickle relish, hot dog buns, butter, tin foil, ice and a spare cooler.
We divided up the cost between us and out suppers cost each of us $3.00 a night while on the river. Now we were ready so it was off to Steve's and the shuttle to get to the river.

Arrived at Steve's and got everything loaded and were on the road to the river. Arrived at the St.Marys at noon at the Rt.2 bridge we got the boats unloaded and in the water......... What water, the river is up and running between 3 and 4 mph, really rolling along for the St.marys. On the water.
stmarys%20001.jpg

Joe and Mac on the river.

stmarys%20002.jpg

Bear paddling the big red sob of his.

stmarys%20003.jpg

Harry and Ray off down river

stmarys%20004.jpg

Larry just easing along.

stmarys%20005.jpg

2 PM. We were at the 1st campsite so out of the boats and onto dry ground, setting up camp, having an adult beverage and then gathering firewood for the night. The day has been nice and clear with blue skies and a breeze, just enough to keep you comfortable while paddling or should I say drifting down river with the current.
Before dark we had plenty of hot coals so everything was just right to do the potatoes and after a little more relaxing we threw the grill over the fire and did the steaks for supper.
We might of been hungry by then but after the snacks of cheese, pepperoni, crackers, trail mix and some relaxing drinks it was hard to tell ..... till the meat and potatoes were on everyone's plate....... Boy did they disappear.

Then it was just sitting around the fire telling only true stories and thinking about the nice warm sleeping bags waiting for us. Which just felt really good in the cool air and with the full moon shining down on us, the owls hooting in the background did not hurt matters as far as relaxing.

Chuck.

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
I can't wait for that Spring trip Chuck....the way you described the St. Mary's trip I felt as though I was there with you guys....now that's MY kind of trip....good friends, good food and good weather....doesn't get any better than that....By adult beverages, you certainly don't mean milkshakes, do you Chuck? aaaaaaawwww the "comfort" of an adult beverage around the campfire.....I'm going to keep reading your latest report throughout the winter months, especially when its snowing outside and I need something to remind me of SPRING!!!! :lol: Glad you guys had a good time. CamperDave