St Marys , Dec 05 ....3 of 3...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Our next camp site.

stmarys%20007.jpg

Thursday.
Up in the morning and after a lot of coffee, breakfast and BS we had the canoes loaded and on the water. The river widen out so the paddling was easier and a little slower but we still covered a lot of water without working.
On this stretch of the River I had a flock of wild turkeys fly across the river in front of me. Things like that happens when you are just drifting along nice and quiet.

Again we had a place we were thinking about camping at but since we were covering the river quicker then we thought we would we decided to go on down river and that was one darn good decision. We located one sandbar and area you could camp 30 campers in and still have room. Needless to say we pulled off the river and set up camp for a couple of reasons.....
The sky was getting overcast and the area was just to good to pass up. We had camp set up when ....... I know you will not believe this .... It started to rain.....

The rain was not bad just a light sprinkle but the tarps went up and we went under them. Later we set up a lot of wood for the fire and after a while we had potatoes cooking in the coals then later a lot of hot dogs on the grill with a large pot of beans and some onion in with them steaming in a large pot on my cooking stove. Naturally we had the snacks, cheeses of different flavors, crackers, pepperoni, and all sorts of camping snacks.
The rain warmed the area so it was short sleeves and just comfortable ........ After the supper we kicked the campfire up a notch since it was cooling down and the mist was already rising from the river. Later it was into the sleeping bags when a cold front mover thru and the temp went for the bottom of the scale. In the morning there was ice in some of the boats.

The guys drying the rest of there gear.
stmarys%20014.jpg

A better shot of the river.........
stmarys%20008.jpg

Friday
Doing our normal camping routine ....... we were up and with some breakfast, hot coffee and just relaxing we were on the river and we were hoping to get to Tompkins Landing around 12 because Steve was going to meet us there at that time , things are looking good , we should be there on time. We are paddling along and all of sudden Bear hollers at us ........ River is blocked..........

A very large tree had gone down across the whole river. After Bear did some work with a saw on the right side of the river blocking tree we managed to get most of the canoes thru that opening but it did require some fancy paddling and sliding over logs . The heaver canoes went overland on the left side of the river which everyone agreed was the safer way for them to do it.

Back on the river and going down stream I scared three otters who had no idea I was there till I told the guys ... "Otters" Boy did the bark at me.... No, the Otters not the Guys. A short time later we were at The landing ( earlier then expected) and Steve had parked his van and trailer there so we loaded all of the boats and gear on it and called him .... Off the river back to civilization and home bound.

This is at the end because this is what it looked like at each camp site.

stmarys%20012.jpg

Chuck.
If you are thinking about doing the St.Marys River at any time I would suggest contacting Steve.

He is located at the St. Mary's River Fish Camp
28506 Scotts Landing Road
Hillard, Florida 32046

Web Site ... http://stmarysriverfishcamp.com/ (Canoe Country Outpost)
Phone 904-845-4440
Fax 904-845-4441
Toll free 866-845-4443

He also offers a Complete RV Hookup, Guided Fishing and is surrounded by 4000 acres of public land and naturally a canoe shuttle service. :D

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
OldSsparky...I can see why it says "OldSparkeyForum" at the top of the page....you certainly have your act together...great dialog, fantastic photos....I actually had to put my coat on while reading about how it got so cold one night there was ice in the canoes....hehehehehe.....(wonder how that ice would be in a big glass filled with Southern Comfort??) 8) anyway, reading about your trip and looking at the photos makes me want to get on the river as soon as possible....thanks again for the "travel log".......CamperDave

(We had a big bottle of Southern Comfort...Chuck)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dave,

It wuz ice two nites, but I didnt hear nobody with a bad word on the weather. I reckon the High Sheriff done purty good tellin' how it wuz, cept fer the tofu meatballs. Ray sez all the Italians gwine ta start makin' tofu meatballs.

Today the Italians, next comes Texas. :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge
swift tree rescue society

Pretty much all the honest truth-telling there is in the world is done by children. Oliver Wendell Holmes

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
St Mary's

Hey Chuck: Sure enjoyed the trip report. Can smell the campfire and taste the food cooked over those open fires. Would liked to have seen Bear chopping open that path thru the downed tree. Did he use a machete or his Tom Mix pocket knife? Actually you lucked out on the weather because it was misting and a nasty wind a lot that week here in Cocoa Beach. Thought a lot about you guys and talked to the "Man" about giving you good weather up there. Looks like part of it worked. See any gators or anyone do any fishing? Mac probably did but the numbers of his catch can't be posted just in case the active sheriffs are monitoring this site--That right?

Swampy. Where were you? Thought you were going and making the coffee?

My canoe is sitting in the garage and when I went out and talked to it it was all damp. Suppose canoes can cry? We'll be there on the next one. Anyone talking about doing the Suwannee in the spring? We kicked it around last fall but maybe it's time to re-visit that idea.

Thanks again Chuck for the post. Hope Bear or Mac or some other St Maryite posts their version of the trip.

Al Dasen

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Olde Bear was in his canoe holding onto one tree while using Larry's cross cut saw, Larry was on the bank pulling the cut wood out of the way for bear.
The way Bear was going thru that wood I was thinking a name for him on the forum should be Beaver...... He was one busy wood chomping beaver.

The Game Commission or some Federal Agency were flying over head a lot of the time so Mac ducked his fishing rod in the bottom of his boat and never touched it.
He kept mumbling something about the eye in the sky. :lol:

As far as Swampy ... I think the world has swallowed him up ..... he is no where to be found .. on here ... e-mail or anything. In fact I saw in the paper where the sale of coffee has gone way down and that only means one thing ... KT has him locked in the closet or one of his Yukon bears has gotten him.
Do you think ????? Swampy knew about the spagetti and decided to head for the hills and get away from the river. :lol:

Chuck.

I will let all of you in on a letter I sent to Yaker since you want to know about that Sunday Supper.

Yaker.

I should not be telling you this but I did leave one very important thing out of the river trip report I put on the forum. Bear was giving me a really bad time about it late during the trip and suggested that I DON'T put it in there.

With Bear being better on reading people and how they feel I thought it was best to go along with him but everyone loved it and I am still alive.

We had a genuine Italian spaghetti and meat ball supper at Traders Hill ... It was one that would even make your mother proud of, man it was delicious and we did have an Italian there (Ray) and he thought it was one of the best meatball and spaghetti suppers he has ever had.

Now I did not let anyone know but the meatballs were ... yep ... you guessed it ....TOFU and I sure hope you don't mind this but I told them I got the recipe from you. Just trying to make the guys think you were there with us and a active part of the trip.

It was a shame you were not there with us but you are really high on our list of outstanding paddlers since you missed the trip so your buddies at work could go hunting and for this you are rated in the #1 slot...... I just can't say anything about a certain person who makes a lot of coffee but his rating ......well we better not go there.

Chuckles

Commodore

Dec 13, 2003
Melbourne Beach, Fl
To All Paddlers
I just wanted to have everyone know that even in the wild Chuck cooked one of the better spagetti dinners that I have ever had. I came from an Italian neigborhood and have had genuine Italian food but Chuck you qualify as an honorary Italian.
Commodore

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Photos of the St Marys

Jack: Take a close look at Chucks pictures. See how clean the river looks. Someone has talked to the locals or something. Not one piece of trash in site. Now I know where Swampy is. He went down there a week early and did a cleanup job--he's home catching up on lost sleep. Hey Swampy . Wake up. Need to hear your version of the condition of the St Mary's. Looks pretty good to me.

Now if we could just capture the Owl Serenade on a DVD or CD and include it on the Forum, along with the pictures, WOW, what a POST that would be. Whose the techie that can do that? David? Should be a piece of cake for you. Al D.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Commodore said:
To All Paddlers
I just wanted to have everyone know that even in the wild Chuck cooked one of the better spagetti dinners that I have ever had. I came from an Italian neigborhood and have had genuine Italian food but Chuck you qualify as an honorary Italian.
Commodore

Harry (Commodore)

I really want to thank you for all of your good words about my cooking ... especially that Tofu Meat Ball and Spaghetti supper at Traders hill and unfortunately I cannot take credit for that meal since it was a olde family recipe from oldyakers great grand parents which he intrusted to me for the trip so we could consider him being with us.

I like to think that in all of your years, even having an Italian cooking for you (Ray) that you bestow that honoree honor on me......... I am humbled ... but cannot accept the honor, it was oldyaker who let me in on his secret family recipe and he deserves al of the credit. :D

Chuck
PS... I am just glad you & ray along with the rest of the gang enjoyed that supper , thanks to oldyaker for sharing it with us.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
I cannot take credit for that meal since it was a olde family recipe from oldyakers great grand parents which he intrusted to me for the trip so we could consider him being with us.

Chuck
PS... I am just glad you & ray along with the rest of the gang enjoyed that supper , thanks to oldyaker for sharing it with us.

LIES.......LIES........LIES!!!! :x No Eye-talion would ever make meatballs from tofu!!! :shock: Blasphemy!!! Ray will get his his Eye-talion ID card pulled for such blasphemy! Rays malady must come from living with Florida Crackers too many years! You twisted his mind. Poor devil. Cracker pasta is covered with ketchup and gee-ritz! THIS IS WAR!!! :evil: Joey, fire up the pot, ya know, the special one! :twisted: Chuckee will have three visitors this Christmas, or on the next trip at the latest! :twisted: :evil:
See what happens when ya hang with Lawyers!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Get ya torpedoes ready and send them on ..... I have depth chargers :lol:

Sorry guy's inside joke about what oldyaker was going to do to me from some e-mail we were kicking around about this trip and the supper we had ... thanks to him....... He was asking for all sorts of help to sink me but I am unsinkable. :D

Chuckles

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Mighty fine trip and reports ... makes me wish I could of jumped up the time table to go along....

No, I didn't get down there at all :cry:

Then I did hear about the TOFU ... I began thinkin up excuses for not going ... :roll: I knew they'd drink lattaes next and my coffee just wouldn't set in that atmosphere .... :wink:

Now ... about Bear's new nick ... BEAVER .... I know it was cold water and all .... and i know someone else who likes to bath in cold water in the middle of a river ... but honestly Sheriff ... no one called you on the "shrinkage factor" ..... :oops:

ya'll did fine ... now ... back to my closet ...
swampy