St. Mary's river and camping pictures | SouthernPaddler.com

St. Mary's river and camping pictures

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Real nice pictures david. Man you fellas go equipped camping down the river! Tables, chairs, 5 gallon buckets, right down to the hooch wrapped in the brown bag on that table! Not one drop of rain in any of them pictures!

A

Anonymous

Friend David,

That first pichur at the put-in looked like the AARP remake of "Deliverance". :mrgreen:

Mitey purty. Mitey purty.

regards,

bearridge
bodine film society

Doctors are just the same as lawyers; the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you, too. Anton Chekhov

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

If you are asking about #3 across the top and that handsome guy with the very fashionable hat on ..... He is a professional model that we had on the trip , to stand in for us , when the pictures were taken.

I was over in the shadows eating a big bowl of gritz so I would have all the energy needed for the trip. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Guilty as charged .... Boss......at lease you recognized the canoe...... snicker , snicker , snicker. :p

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
St Mary's Pictures

Very nice David. Looks familiar except for the vessel used Mr. Chulata. Kayaks and canoes; That Chuck is versitile and he cooks too!!!! I saw the packages of steaks on the table---bet they were super after Chuck got his expert cooks hands on them. Like Swampy I was wondering how many blow downs you guys had to cut through or pull around. The water looked high and clean. Makes me think it was one fine trip. Hope to join you guys on the next one. Dppr. Al.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is part of the river trip I posted.......

But to answer your question and I am sure some of the guy's might want to add to it.

The St.Mary's River had a good flow which required just easy paddling to scoot down stream and while the sky was clear, not a cloud in it, the breeze did have a cool touch to it which made life nice. If you got cold then just move over to the sunny side and warm up while drifting down the river.
It was quiet and rounding one bend we notice three deer down at the river and when they saw us up the bank and into the woods, after all it is hunting season.

Some of the trees are starting there leaf change and the colors reflecting in the water was quite a sight to see. All in all it was an easy, slow going, relaxing trip.
We did come up on 4 different blow downs across the river that could of caused some problems and of those 4 only one had to be portaged around and then it was only Harry and Ray's canoe that need to be portaged due to the height of items in the canoe. We did have some more but they did not cause any problems ....just paddled under or around them. Nice thing about Florida or Georgia sand , metal canoes can be drug thru it without any damage unlike wood boats

Chuck.

Al.
Those steaks were quite large (Just over 5 pounds for all 6 of them) and really good. None of the meat went to waste. :D

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
Re: St Mary's Pictures

michstripcanoe said:
Very nice David.

Like Swampy I was wondering how many blow downs you guys had to cut through or pull around. The water looked high and clean.

As for blow downs ... only six or less was worth noting. The current was
moving along just about right.

regards,

David

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I'm with Al on this one. How was that one blowdown that we all had to portage around last december where the tree was all the way across the river? Wondered if that one was better and if there were any new ones from the storms this past summmer?

Thinking that the water levels were up and what you portaged around was new ones.
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Swampy said:
I'm with Al on this one. How was that one blowdown that we all had to portage around last december where the tree was all the way across the river? (SNIP)
Didn't the ice take out the blowdown and clear the channel for you gize? Up here (in God's country) Mother Nature does the work for us (if we live a clean life).