St.Marys River Trip .. Nov 2004 | SouthernPaddler.com

St.Marys River Trip .. Nov 2004

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK.... Here we go.

SUNDAY

The canoe is loaded on the trailer and the Jeep is full of gas, off to do some paddling and camping, nice and warm ... felling good. :D

Made it over to I -95 and north bound.
Around Daytona it is raining harder then the ole cow piss*&% on a flat rock, it is coming down in buckets, a person can barely see the road because of the rain. The wind is just as bad and blowing all the vehicles around.

Heck, just the weather I like to camp and paddle in. :roll: To shorten a long tail.... It rained and progressively got colder as I got closer to Folkston , GA for the night before the river paddling & camping.
The temp is dropping but the rain is decreasing now it is just misting. Good thing cause I had to into town and get an insulated jacket for some warmth.

Arriving at Traders Hill and when I started to set up the tent, just in case it might rain harder later. Next thing I know, this person pulls in driving a Van, camping conversion type, He (Fred) wants to know where you can set up camp and I told him ... anywhere.
Next thing I know we are shooting the breeze and he is from Alaska on his way to see his Daughter in Daytona. Now he is not in a rush, he left Alaska on June 11 , this year and does not plan to get to his daughters till just before Thanksgiving.

This is how you enjoy life folks..... No Rush, Hurry or anything, go where you want and do what you want while getting there.

Since he is not in that big of a hurry and I feel the same way, why rush things, we start discussing rivers to paddle and I get a good education about the rivers in Alaska and several different parts of this nation, he has been on all of the good ones. Next thing I now here is Harry pulling in with his van and two canoes on the trailer, one of the canoes is red just like Mac's but I don't see his truck under the canoe :?:

The red one is Mac's....... He is riding with Harry and Ray. :? What happen was when Mac put is canoe on his truck at his house the (Remember I said it was windy) wind blew it off the top of his truck, twice, so he contacted Harry and put all of his gear in and on Harry's trailer and then hitched a ride with Harry and Ray.

Yep ...... we started out in some nasty weather. Now to make things more interesting while at Traders Hill ... here comes some more vehicles with canoes on them into the camping area.
Hot Dog ... More Nut's. This bunch are from the Florida panhandle and getting together to do a run from Kingfisher Landing to the East side of the Okefenokee , a 4 or 5 day trip.

Mac and I have paddled and camped that run so we could offer some hints and information but they wanted to know where we were paddling so we told them, they are looking forward to doing the same run about 3 weeks from now.
Paddlers helping paddlers and as you can assume ... I told them about Southern Paddler and where they can get a lot of good information and with any luck they will sign on, unlike some other people. Speaking of, Other People, :lol: Bear you missed some good eats, Swampy your name was only said in good faith, :roll: most of the time.

As things worked out .. all of us were like long lost friends and had one good time in the campground. The next morning the one group took out for the Okefenokee when Fred walked over to our camp so we invited him to breakfast, in Folkston at the Friendly, or Family Cafe.
After sharing more information along with a good breakfast and lots of good hot grits with coffee we were on our way and Fred was on his, where ever that will be.

MONDAY

We contacted Steve at the outpost and were shuttled to our put in area for the trip. On the water at 12:00 and paddling. Things are right on schedule.

We worked really hard, floating with the flow of the river while dipping a paddle now and then and at 2:00 P.M. pulled into a camping area on a really nice sand bar.

Set up camp then gathered a lot of fire wood and started a fire. Let it burn down and added some more wood to get some good coals for cooking (Harry threw on some spuds) and when they were just about ready I put a cooking grate over the coals and dropped on some steaks so they could snap, crackle and pop. Then before you knew it and after some good before dinner drink's we had the Hot, campfire, spuds with some really tasty, campfire (Oak wood) cooked steaks. No one was hungry after this supper.

Now it is time to relax from a relaxing day by having a drink, sitting around the campfire and just enjoying life, clear skies, stairs shining, the owls hooting, cool temps, actually cold but all the better for later when it comes time to hit the sack and get friendly with your sleeping bag.
Camp was at N 30 31.413 W 82. 00.805

TUESDAY

After all of that hard work, good food and a relaxing nights sleep ..... up at 7:00 A.M. hot coffee cooking, breakfast, BS, and on the river 2:30 hours later at 9:30. Then paddling till 2:00 P.M. and doing the camp routine again ......... This is how the trip went.

This camp was just as nice as the 1st and in following the routine, the fire is going after the tents were up then for supper some rather Large Pork steaks about 12 inches by 4 inches wide 1/2 in thick with campfire spuds for supper. By the way Jeans, Feta Cheese, chives and Walnuts, cold prep, is really good for snacks and then on the campfire spuds. This was naturally after we had all sorts of snacks, drinks and goodies before supper.
What a life, late on the river, early off and then having to eat all of this tasty food under clear skies and in cool weather sitting on a river bank enjoying nature and the scenery.
Camp was at N 30 37.048 W 82 01.673

Wednesday

OK... Here we go again ... On the river at 9:30 and floating down stream with the current just enjoying life but today we have to stop sooner since we are working so hard at this not working. 1:00 P.M. we see a nice spot and in we go. Camp is set up and the fire is ready.
Siting around shooting the bull and about 2:00 David lights off the fire. Later when the coals are just right on goes the spuds Harry has fixed and I get busy with the hamburger (lean ground) while dicing up some good sharp cheese along with sweet onions and then it is mixed it all together, making 6 patties or small meat loafs, the meat and put the grate over the fire.
Not sure how long it was cooking but it was about 4 turns of the burgers or about two drinks for the cook and the rest of the crew..... everything was ready for supper.
What a supper ......... Everyone was happy and quite full while sitting around the fire listing to the tall stories and the owls in the background.
Later we even did some hot dogs on sticks over the fire as a night time snack before hitting the bed. A person has to stay nourished to keep up the body heat when it is cold out .... OK... Cool out, about 45.

Camp was at N 30 40.604 W 82 02.999

It is a hard life but someone has to do it.........

THURSDAY

Up in the morning and after a lazy breakfast, eggs, smoked ham, bagels, coffee, grapefruit, breakfast bars more coffee then breaking camp and on the river.

I was thinking it would be 2 hours before we are at the take out but as usual I was wrong .... It was only 1 1/2 hours to Tompkins Landing .
( N 30 42.689 W 82 02.180.)
What can I say ... at times I am wrong about things and if I don't screw up more then two times a day ... something is wrong. :D

The St.Mary's River had a good flow which required just easy paddling to scoot down stream and while the sky was clear, not a cloud in it, the breeze did have a cool touch to it which made life nice. If you got cold then just move over to the sunny side and warm up while drifting down the river.
It was quiet and rounding one bend we notice three deer down at the river and when they saw us up the bank and into the woods, after all it is hunting season.

Some of the trees are starting there leaf change and the colors reflecting in the water was quite a sight to see. All in all it was an easy, slow going, relaxing trip.
We did come up on 4 different blow downs across the river that could of caused some problems and of those 4 only one had to be portaged around and then it was only Harry and Ray's canoe that need to be portaged due to the height of items in the canoe. We did have some more but they did not cause any problems ....just paddled under or around them.
Nice thing about Florida or Georgia sand , metal canoes can be drug thru it without any damage unlike wood boats

The folks on this trip were Harry (Commodore) , Ray, David (Kc4zvw) Mac (Gator ) and myself. We should have some pictures later since David and Harry were taking some of them.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend Chuck,

That sounded mitey fine. Hard ta tell whether the film crew should be frum an outdoor show 'er the cookin' channel. :lol:

I did miss the company, but yer tale made me miss the fall leaves too. A fall paddle iz mitey special. There iz a mood ya caint feel no other time of the year.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

Guard: Sorry Luke, jest doing my job, ya gotta appreciate that?
Luke: Naw.....jest sayin’ its yer job dont make it right boss.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

I played it safe and used the Eureka Timberline Tent. YEP .. I whimped out... :oops: ... I had the hammock but with the way the weather started out with all of the wind, rain and cold and about getting in and out of it after the surgery ... it stayed in the Jeep for the trip.

To be really honest I should have used the Hammock.
I guess my problem is that I just like the comfort of the hammock over the tent. The tent was comfortable but when sleeping in it my arms will get numb when laying on my side and they don't in the hammock. I gave up one comfort for another, so to speak.

I sewed the rip in the Army cot and David used it inside his tent and judging from the snoring coming from his tent I would say he was very comfortable.

One problem all of us had was that in the morning the rain fly's over the tents were sopping wet on both sides of them .. it was from the mist coming off the river as the night got cooler.
You get up in the morning and it looked like some fog had settled in and it was nothing but the mist from the river. It made some really pretty pictures in the morning, a misty river with the clear sky and the sun just touching the tops of the trees while an owl hoots in the background, now mix in the smell of some fresh coffee perking on a gas stove and the fresh smell of the woods. :D

We did something different on this trip that worked out really nice. All of us brought our own breakfast and we agreered on what we wanted for supper each night as a group.
We stopped at the grocery store in Folkston and got all of the fresh meat, veggies and extras along with ice. The bill came to $60.00 and split 5 ways it is $12.00 per person for our suppers which we planned out for 4 nights, just in case we decided to go slower then we did.
Not bad at $3.00 per night for meals for each of us and we had plenty to eat, sometimes to much, if that is posable.

For a smaller group this worked out really well. We are sure that all of us gained weight on this trip. :oops:

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Man I missed you guys ... paddled that stretch many times last week myself. What a grand crowd there! I see Van didn't go this time either... hope all is well with him.

LOL Harry will be paddling when my grandson is paddling on his own down there!

Those eats sound like to be first class.... had Bro bar joined in i would recon the party would have been heard all the way to NC and beyond! Bar and Don R have a way of lighting up the night! :wink:

Glad all made it safe and sound and that rain didn't catch ya out in the open.

swampy

Aardvark

I guess my problem is that I just like the comfort of the hammock over the tent.

Know what you mean!

Had a Scout campout this last weekend and took the tent instead of the Henessey.

Big Mistake!

Even with a 2 Inch Thermarest clone, still couldn't get comfortable.

Have used the Hennesy only two weekends-I'm spoiled now!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yup, I'm to blame. Years ago, I tried out one of Tom's first hammocks. I've never looked back.

I've since had to spend two nights in camp, sleeping on the ground because the trees were too small to hold a hammock. REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE nights. This was on a tiny island in Howry Lake, in Killarney Proivincial Park.

Couple things I've learned. I put a large blanket pin across the sleeping bag's zipper a few inches from the bottom end to keep the darned thing from undoing all the way. Sometimes difficult to rejoin the zipper foot in the dark when I'm sleepy.

When getting back in, either lay the sleeping bag out in the hammock, and lay back on it, get the hood on your head and your feet in the bottom of the bag, then zip it around you. Or, put your feet in it on the ground while standing in the hammock opening. Slip the hood of the bag over your head before laying back, zip up.

In either case, take one, small sip of single malt before nodding off. Doing this regularly, I've never yet been attacked by either a sabre toothed tiger or a wild buffalo. No other drink can make that claim!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
In either case, take one, small sip of single malt before nodding off. Doing this regularly, I've never yet been attacked by either a sabre toothed tiger or a wild buffalo. No other drink can make that claim!

Jack you could get one of the IV bags (empty naturally) from the local hospital and then re fill it with that single malt stuff and suspend it from the center line in the hammock. :D
This way it would not be in the way and readily accessible for cold weather and critter protection or you waking up and then having to nod off again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Southern Sour Mash Bourbon will keep the Gators away, just in case there are any in your area and if not ... then..... SEE.... I told ya , it works and gritz do the same on Yankees.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) Jack you could get one of the IV bags (empty naturally) from the local hospital and then re fill it with that single malt stuff and suspend it from the center line in the hammock. :D
This way it would not be in the way and readily accessible for cold weather and critter protection or you waking up and then having to nod off again. :lol: :lol: :lol: (SNIP)
If I worked it right, Chuck, I'd have TWO IV bags. One hanging high, the other hanging low. That'd save a lot of time, ehh?

Tumbleweed

Dec 5, 2004
Belleair
Friendly Chit-Chat

Hi, :D

We're the guys you ran into at the campground before your trip. We went on to do our Okefenokee trip on Monday and had a great time. After that trip we rambled on to other trips/destinations and just now got home.

Thanks for your GPS points for your St. Mary's camp sites. We're off on that trip later this week. It appears you had no problems with water levels.

I'm sure we'll run into you again ... sometime, somewhere ... :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tumbleweed

Welcome to the forum.

We had 4 blowdowns and of those only one caused a problem. Harry's canoe (the metal one) was stacked to high to go under the log so it was dragged over land, about 30 feet. The rest we just paddled under, had to sit in the bottom of the canoe but it was accomplished. When you make the trip the water should be down further then it was on our trip so you should be able to scoot under those blowdowns. :D
There are not as many sand bars as there use to be but there are some nice ones for camping and if you are quiet while paddling the lead canoe has a good chance of seeing some deer.

All in all it was a good trip, laid back, up late then took life easy while on the water and getting into camp really early in the day. If you guy's have it as easy as we did then you will have had a lot of fun.

I trust your trip on the Okefenokee was as much fun and you got to all of the campsites on time.
My self it was the one section from Kingfisher Landing to Maul Hammock that caused all of the problems when we did it but that was in the rain and cold, about 28 degrees. Then for the rest of the trip it was good weather. You had a lot better weather on your trip if it was the same as what we had on the St. Mary's trip.

Tell Steve, at the outpost , HI ..... for us at Southern Paddler and I hope he got all of those cat fish cleaned and the fish fry done.

Chuck.