Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build. | Page 10 | SouthernPaddler.com

Started the Sasquatch 14 x 30 build.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I posted the pictures of the Sasquatch 14 x 30 in the Boat section I forgot to add this picture here to end the building portion of this thread. :oops:

She is done , the rest of the pictures are in the Boat Bragging Section under the Sasquatch label.
Or click on this http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5530

Just for all of the none believers out there here is proof that she floats. :lol:

14x30%20062.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Nice looking boat Chuck. I was gonna chime in down below, but it seems that thread has already gone off course. :shock:

I'm dying to get moving on mine. I've been so damn busy I haven't done hardly a thing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
Chuck,

Anything holding up the thwarts and seats besides epoxy-glue?

Some epoxy and wood flour mix is all I used. Then ran a bead of it around each end where it meets the canoe. I have done the same thing with some of the other boats and it holds really well.

There aren't any screws , nails or anything metal in this one , all wood and epoxy.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker.....

Knowing your lovely wife you better plan on making two of them , especially if you are retired and have lots of time for the fun stuff. NO... Not counting the honey do's which they always dream up but building two of them might save you from the Honey Do's. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The amount I had on hand and used a part of was plenty for about three boats. I had the next weight of each of them.....not the minimum weight which I listed below.

1.. The glass bubbles I would say that 4 oz. ( 1 qt. ). for $4.75 from Raka would be plenty.
2.. The hardwood flour at 16 oz. for $4.00 would do all the fillets and any extra filling for just one boat.
3.. The graphite powder when mixing it one tablespoon full to 4 oz of mixed epoxy the 8 oz. bag at $5.75 would be sufficient.
Normally I do three coats of the graphite and epoxy , each a day apart.
All of the above are the smallest amounts a person can get from Larry at Raka. http://www.raka.com/fillers.html

The glass bubbles are used with the wood flour to lessen the amount of the flour and also to lessen the weight of it to a small amount. Both of these items are mixed to the consistency that the builder wants. Plus they make sanding the wood flour a lot easier if any sanding is needed.
Just be careful when mixing the glass bubbles in with the wood flour and also when mixing the graphite in with the epoxy. Both will create a dust when mixed rapidly so go slow with the mixing.... Mix them into the resin 1st and when thoroughly mixed then add the hardener.

Most folks after building a boat will make more of them but there are folks out there that make only one and stop , there seams to be no happy medium between the two. Remember that when you start yours to know the steps that you will be doing and that helps to save on the epoxy since the left over ( if there is any ) can be used on the next step before it sets up. There is always something that needs epoxy after you are finished with the step you are working on , even if it is nothing more then an end pour to seal the bow or stern.