Stitch and Glue Guideboat | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Stitch and Glue Guideboat

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Matt,

I am trying to create a "need" for a boat like this. :oops: here.

I love the lines of this one and am also keen to have a crack at it - just for the heck of it. I think the ply will bend OK and this boat will prove very popular for you. 8)

Might I suggest kits for the stem pieces? and also plans for them for those of us with restrictive quarantine laws - but the tools & machinery to cut them. 8)

He who dies with the most canoes & kayaks - wins :lol:

bothyman

Jun 20, 2005
terryg said:
Excellent video bothyman!

Here is another one.

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEtii8tNRg4

Take no notice of the Kevlar Guideboat title, its about the Adirondack Guideboat Museum.
I want one of those Paddles or should that be steering Oar??

Selway Fisher do a Guideboat and seem to have no problems with bending the Plywood.
But after reading about the details on their plans I think I may give them a miss.
But there are pictures of the finished article on thier website a 12' and a 15'.
I have a friend telling me Clinker/Ply is the best way to build a boat can you convert S&G to Clinker/Ply??

Has anyone used clinker/ply to make a Boat/Canoe.

JEM

clinker/ply can be done. You're basically doing the lofting of the panels as you install them. You cut the long strip of ply in strips on a table or band saw. Them bend them around the hull molds and trim and fit as needed. Kinda like woodstrip building with really wide strips.

Stitch and glue does the lofting and sizing before it even gets on the hull molds. The work goes into the measuring with a ruler on a flat surface instead of by eye on the molds.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Clinker can be made smooth, at least with planks. Rushton used to make canoes like that by beveling the overlapping edges of the planks.
I certainly won't disagree with the more difficult part.
Jimmy