Strange and unorthodox builds. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Strange and unorthodox builds.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm thinking that the Vikings would still be shaving timbers if they went through all THOSE steps and such. I didn't know it was that complicated to build a boat.

I learned some stuff there, but I forgot what it was I learned by the time I got finished. I'm sure Chuckie will remind me.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Building a boat is not really rocket science. Building a boat with the avaliable splinters, compounded by the issue that we can no longer keep wooden boats in the water in the area, and if so the costs for anything especially a small hull is not in the cards with me, I built these hulls to reside on boat trailers and require little to no maintainance outside of a little bit of paint. When I want to go out on the boat, I back up to the hitch, hookup, and find a boat ramp and go. When I return, I come home, hose down with a little bit lf water, find my chamois, wipe down and put it up until the next time.

I store the boat under an open canopy with sides on it with a dirt floor, maintaining just the right amount of dampness, but a nice air flow that is favorable and friendly to a real wood boat. The Vikings did not have any problems such as I do when wanting to keep this boat seaworthy without having the boat own me and create stress on my free time. Oh I almost forgot Mamma is funny about a seaworthy boat more than I am, and she also wants a clean and cute boat from her point of view. I seem to be doiing something right. If I don't suggest to her to go boating almost every week one or two days, she nags me until I take her on the water. 8)

She like evening cruises too, and it has better be right and ready, or at least to the best of my knowledge too.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I'm sure Chuckie will remind me.

Sorry Jack... No help from this end , all we ever used were Gator Skins with Palm Fronds as support.
We ate the Grits. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Later down the river ( Several Centuries) some white guy's showed up and all they talked about was "Shivering me Timbers " and answer questions with " ARrrrr " while petting there parrot.
They was some weird folks , one normal leg and one peg-ed one from wood. Heck , some even had a hook for a hand. Man I bet that was something to see or hear when or after nature called. :oops: :lol:

Chuckie.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
That iz four members of this forum a few minutes after the High Sheriff went swimmin'....then got naked. oldyaker musta seen him naked.....took us a hour ta git hiz nukalogikle system movin' agin. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Right after my dip in the Buffalo River and I was doing my thing behind that small tree , I guess he did see me judging from the SHOCK & AWE look on his face. Just totally mesmerised and totally (beyond belief ) amassed. :lol:

Remember ... Family Forum you sick bunch of ______________ ( You fill in the blank) .

1323985826053343242S200x200Q85.jpg

Chuckles
PS. He does look like he just saw a U.F.O. or something totally unbelievable and beyond any wonderful description. :D

BY THE WAY , HOW DID WE GET OFF TRACK IN THE BOAT BRAGGING SECTION ????????????? ... Stupid question I know.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oyster said:
Wow, interesting,, so much for the effort,,,, :shock:
Oyster , sometimes we are like you when the tide goes all the way out .... we are just stranded high an dry on a piling , till it comes back in. :D

With us geezers it is more or less just normal and then with a push or suggestion from one of our misfits ( usually a northern one ) on here it escalates way past what the normal thought was , what ever it was at the beginning of the thought.

Usually after some medical care ( a large bowl of GRITS ) from someone from the Southern Bodine Medcial Insult ( same as the one for the insane , located in Miss-a-slippy) we get back on track. Not all the time , just now and then. :wink:

Chuckles
We ain't normal folks on hare .. "O"op's ... Hear. "HERE" Jack correcting sigh

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Oyster said:
Wow, interesting,, so much for the effort,,,, :shock:
Don't worry about it! I feel sure everyone else who is following this thread is eagerly awaiting your next installment. I know I am.

Just think of it as a short intermission while we wait.

Now, back on topic!

I find your methods most interesting. It's cool how you've managed to build truly useful and beautiful boats out of scraps most of us wouldn't have even glanced at. Please show us more.

Mike

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
No sweat there Bilgerat. I gots no problems now at all, as I thought I was the weird one with interesting stuff until I logged on to this joint. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oyster said:
No sweat there Bilgerat. I gots no problems now at all, as I thought I was the weird one with interesting stuff until I logged on to this joint. :lol:

Weird , off the wall , outside the box , it can't be done that way but we do it , unorthodox , , jury rigged , .... just pick one or more but that is us. :D

Chuck.