Strange Dinner | SouthernPaddler.com

Strange Dinner

JEM

Dinner had to be quick because of a hectic night.

Didn't have anything ready. Started some plain white rice, took out the pound of bacon that didn't get made this weekend, chopped it up, fried it, mixed it in the rice with some cut up (uncooked) tomatoes. Was like a BLT!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
If ya had put some tomato paste with chopped green pepper, onion and celery...than baked it...you would have had Low Country or Savannah Red Rice. Sounds like ya did good anyway! I like fried ground beef mixed in rice....or tuna mixed in.....right Jack...almost anything!

islandpiper

Matt, must be something going around.....last night the ladies went shopping and left the blind guy home, so I used the rice cooker....started out making rice, then found some leftover steak and a burger in the fridge and chopped it into the cooker, then some soy sauce....then some dried diced oniions....then some leftover broccoli......and some garlic i found on the temporary counter top..... wow, turned out really good. I don't suppose "leftover garbage fried rice" would be a big seller so I won't call it that.

Piper

islandpiper

Gee......never thought of that.......I'll put some more skins and entrails in that bucket on the porch and start a batch right away.... :shock: In fact, I'll make a double batch and when the weather warms up I'll send some to Matt, parcel post, that'll give it another couple of weeks to ferment.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldyaker said:
..or tuna mixed in.....right Jack...almost anything!
Don't screw up good rice with tuna. Tuna goes well with gritz - no sense ruining TWO suppers!

Heck , Everyone knows that when you run out of Vienna's then the only acceptable substitute is a can of Tuna with the crackers and especially with a little lemon juice on the tuna. :D

Now if you are going to mix the tuna with anything it is the Lipton (Italian Sides) Creamy Garlic Shells ** you mix it with. Tuna Noodle Casserole in one camping pot. Yum , Yum.

( ** The little Pasta Shells in a Garlic , Parmesan & Romano Cheese Sauce )

Chuck

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Don't forget to add about 20-40 clove of garlic!!! It's good for you too!!!Granny knew that 1a 00 years ago...... :wink:

Mr. Food's Trick To Fresh Chopped Garlic
If the aroma of gently sautéing garlic sets your mouth watering, but the thought of preparing it stops you, I have the easy trick.

Garlic not only enhances the taste of our cooking, it's been touted as being very good for us. In fact, it's been said that if garlic had been created in a laboratory instead of grown naturally today, it might be a high-priced prescription drug.

Many studies have shown garlic to have all sorts of health benefits, like possibly lowering our cholesterol and blood pressure levels, and so much more. There are loads of easy ways to incorporate garlic into our recipes, from the powdered or granulated varieties to using prepared bottled garlic. These are all good, easy choices, but nothing comes close to peeling a fresh head of garlic and chopping or mincing it right before adding it to our recipes.

If you think that's a lot of work, it doesn't have to be. In fact, with this hint you won't even need a cutting board or any fancy tools:

Simply separate a clove of garlic from the bulb, and peel. Then, on a plate or in a shallow bowl, the chefs' trick is to press the garlic with the tines of a fork, sort of mashing it. That's it! We've got a bit of smashed garlic that's ready to add tasty excitement to almost any of our favorite recipes. Just imagine what that will add to our favorite bottled spaghetti sauce or salad dressing.

The sky's the limit, because any way at all, fresh garlic adds the perfect touch.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Don't forget to add about 20-40 clove of garlic!!! It's good for you too!!!Granny knew that 1a 00 years ago...... :wink:

Pardon me but I think the above statement should of ended with the .... Granny knew that a 100 years ago, Instead of the .. That 1a 00 years ago.

Unless as a normal eye-ti-lion ya were waving ya hands in the air and making all sorts of gestures when that was typed. Jimmy .... take it to heart that is why we like camping with you , we can leave the fans at home when ya are explaining things , sure does create some breeze even if the arm waving did do in a couple of innocent sea gulls who just happen to be flying by at the time. My guess is that the upside did let us watch there feathers float on in the breeze so we could really see which way the wind was really blowing....:lol: :lol: :lol:

No one is safe on here ..... No Sir , No one...........

Chuckles

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Pardon me but I think the above statement should of ended with the .... Granny knew that a 100 years ago, Instead of the .. That 1a 00 years ago. Chuckles

Chuck....That is not a Faux Pas! That is numbers in Eye-Tal-Yun!

Ya know...... 1 a 00, 2a 00, 3 a 00.....one a hundred.....two a hundred....three a hundred....etc. :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ole Sparkalator,

Whatsamatta U? 8) 8) :lol:

regards
bearridge

Santino, never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking. I think your brain is going soft from all that comedy you play with that young girl. Don Corleone