Stratch Built Jon Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Stratch Built Jon Boat

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Okay, so, I've been wanting to build another boat for a while now. I've went down to Academy and took some measurements of a 15 foot Alumicraft jonboat:

• 41 inch bottom
    19 inch sides
    15 3/4 inch transom
    59 inch beam
    38 1/4 inch bow

I'm guessing the flare of makes for the difference between the bottom width and the beam at the gunnels. Here's my question: How do I build a jonboat with a continuous bottom width of 48 inches, yet incorporate a little flare on the sides? What amount of flare is reasonable considering I live in heavy barge trafficked waters?

Also, any suggestion on finding a cheap trailer to haul this thing on? I think a jonboat will serve my needs better than a pirogue: too much barge traffic around these parts.

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
Look at Jim Michalak's Jon Boat Plans. Sounds like about 95% of what you're looking for.

Jbo

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
Where I am, trailers for this boat are on craigslist for $200 or less every week.

Jbo

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Thanks, jboc. I bought Jim Michalak's plans yesterday. It seems easier to build than my UJ Pirouge. Chine logs make is so much simpler, I really don't like working with epoxy, although I will probably use epoxy as the glue.