Strip pirogue forms? | SouthernPaddler.com

Strip pirogue forms?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
there's more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to strip a pirogue

i built a stripper by gluing up strips into a flat panel and bending the sides around a couple of jigs just like building a plank pirogue

here's a shot of one of the sides roughed out

DSC05519-1.jpg

here's a side trimmed to size with the inside chine added - this stripper did not have ribs

DSC05836-1.jpg

unfortunately i don't have a pic of the sides bent around the jigs, but from it here it went together like a plank boat

JEM

Plenty of places on the www to get free pirogue plans as well.

I charge for mine because they are more specialized to precise shapes. I am having a 1/2 off holiday sale on all email plans right now.
(cheap promotional plug). :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As far as I know I built the 1st Uncle John stripper Pirogue.

It was something I was thinking about and decided to give it a try. The process was quite simple since all the parts for the boat are flat panels.
I cut the strips out with a band saw and then fit them together. After that then I cut them to shape and glued them together with wood glue. After that set I ran a bead of epoxy along each joint .

The next step was to assemble them into a pirogue the same way you would do by using a piece of plywood. All I did was to substitute the strips of Red Wood for the plywood. The strips were 1/4 inch thick and the length that was necessary for a full size pirogue. Then they were epoxy saturated and glassed.

A short explanation about the boat and some pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2417

OLDMOSSBEARD

Dec 5, 2011
Northern Utah
very nice build sparky. Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I am trying to get some builds lined up for me for next year. I plan on doing two builds this next summer when i gets warmer here. Right now it has been about 15 to 25 degrees. The first build will be one of these beautiful stripper pirogues the secound that I am lining out will be a dug out pirogue using a fir tree trunk. Any more help or ideas that you guys can throw my way will be great. I plan on documenting both builds with pictures and videos for others to use and learn from. Should be fun. As of right now I am trying to just get all of my ducks in a row so I can hit the ground running. Thanks
MOSSBEARD

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
starting with flat rectangular panels are doable as Chuck has demonstrated - just another way to skin the proverbial cat

but if you're building a pirogue with considerable flair and need panels similar to the one i've shown, you waste a lot of wood trimming the rectangular panel to the final shape and, with a significant arc cut out of the bottom of the panel, the strips won't be running parallel to the waterline.

OMB, the shape of the side panels is one of several parameters that will eventually determine the final lines of the pirogue. For a given bottom length and width and degree of side flare, less of an arc in the bottom of the side results in more rocker and more of an arc results in less rocker. Changing any other dimension will also affect the final shape, e.g. hold everything constant and making the pirogue wider will increase the rocker - but you can decrease the rocker by increasing the arc or changing the side flare. You have to think in terms of solid or three dimensional geometry, instead of just thinking of intersecting flat planes (two dimensional) that most carpenters work with. If you're building an assymetrical hull, then the high point of the arc moves away from the center of the panel to the widest point.

The profile at the top of the sides is likewise affected by the other parameters. If the top of the side is straight (flat) then the top of the sides of the finished pirogue will have a continuous arc similar to the rockers of a rocking chair. Making the top a more complex shape, other than straight, will vary the "rocking chair"

Anybody can build a hull that will float. The old time boat builders differentiated themselves by building with more complex shapes. Those shapes and the final product was their trade secret and it was handed down to the next generation. Beauty and functionality is in the eye of the beholder and what I like or need doesn't necessarily fit anyone else's requirements