Stripped out PIROGUE | SouthernPaddler.com

Stripped out PIROGUE

scoggins

Feb 5, 2010
has anyone on here made a prigue out of strips?
what kind of strips did you use?

I have a Cedar and a cypress that I have that I can have cut up to in to boards ??

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thinking of gettin an Unkle Johns Kit to make the angles right.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
Ol' Sparkler will jump on that one. He did a beautiful redwood strip one. Jest doncha' dare call it Cedar--he gits all x-citable if ya do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's the link: http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2417&start=0&hilit=redwood

X-Citabley jumping on this one........ :lol:

I made the 1st one that anyone knows about ( to see if it could be done ) and it is out of California Red Wood. Which is sort or red in color.
The kit is the easy way to make sure everything is at the right angles and the pirogue is really easy to make. Just as you would make one from plywood do the same with the strips. lay the strips out glue them together and then put the boat together.... three flat panels will make one boat.

The strips were 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 inches wide and flat on both sides , no bead or grove in them. The sides were the normal 12 inch high sides.
All you would do is to make the panels for it in place of purchasing the plywood to make it.

I used titebobd glue when putting the strips together and then ran a bead of epoxy along the seams before moving the panels to assemble them.

I found a easy way to save a lot of sanding after mine was made....... I used a thin blade on the band saw to cut the strips and it wandered on me so there was a lot of sanding to get everything the same thickness. If you use a wider blade on the saw it will hold true and not wander on you making higher areas in spots.

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
here's a stripper that predates Sparkey by a couple of years

stripper01.jpg

'course it may not qualify as a stripper on this board since it was built before fiberglass was invented :D

scroll back in the pirogue forum until you get to one titled 100 year old stripper = i can't get the link to post correctly

( here it is ... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5796 ... Chuck.)

scoggins

Feb 5, 2010
I have access to a lot of hardwood flooring that I could cut-down and glue together to make the boards that would be needed

Hmmmmm????????

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
scoggins said:
I have access to a lot of hardwood flooring that I could cut-down and glue together to make the boards that would be needed

Hmmmmm????????

The boats are nothing more then some wood , epoxy and fiberglass , what makes then is the imagination of the person making it and how they want to do it. :D

Nothing says you have to have the same wood in the boat , the one I am making right now has Oak , Pine , Cypress , Maple and Red Wood in it.

I have found that with most folks starting out when building a wood boat. It is best to follow the instructions or ask questions about what is going on with the next step. Then when that boat is done the imagination kicks in and the What If's pop up and before you know it another boat is in the process of being made.

A lot of us on here made the 1st one following the instructions on how to do it , then we decided ...What If I do this .... we did it and have another one to use. It ain't rocket science it is just wood , epoxy and a coating of fiberglass. If you have the hardwood flooring to use ... you are one step ahead of most of us that have to purchase the wood.

With some luck the guys who have made some strippers will post the links on here so you can see what can be done.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I think you will like the stripping ,It will probably be the only method I use from now on.
Thunder posted my duck build above and it is the stiffest strongest hull I have built.
Here is a link to my Cuda 18 I am just starting.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338
Ron
Welcome Thunder this is a good bunch of guys ,a little nuts,well ok a whole lot nuts but good folks.