Study on Alligator Encounters | SouthernPaddler.com

Study on Alligator Encounters

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
There's a word for people that fool around with dangerous animals. It's called "lunch". Wild animals are not some form of Bambi-esque creature that frolics in the forest with no ill feelings towards a friendly human. If you fool around with an alligator (or a croc, or a lion, or a bear, or.........) and he eats you --- OH WELL. Not saying you deserve it, BUT ............. .

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There are several things that I can think of where it could be called his mistake.

At 18 , any bets they were drinking , plus I will bet he did not check for them before jumping in the canal. Such as ... "Hey, watch this."
You don't swim in the water down here in the early morning , late evening or at night. He was in there at 9:30 P.M or for better words .... DARK. The time the gators are the most active.
This is the breeding season which makes it even worse.

As one guy replied to the papers article.... "The alligators were here first and the canals are their territory. That's why we have swimming pools."

Not saying they don't get into a pool , now and then since , they do.
I hate the idea of him losing a hand but with a 10 footer he could of lost a lot more.... a whole lot more.

Chuck....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
i hope y'all realize that the ONION is a satirical website and does not necessarily publish true stories

Neither does ...Snopes..... :twisted:

" Snopes receives funding from an undisclosed source. The source is undisclosed because Snopes refuses to disclose that source. The Democratic Alliance, a funding channel for uber-Leftist (Marxist) Billionaires (George Soros etc.), direct funds to an "Internet Propaganda Arm" pushing these views.

The Democratic Alliance has been reported to instruct Fundees to not disclose their funding source.
For the past few years (http://www.snopescom/ has positioned itself, or others have labeled it, as the 'tell-all final word' on any comment, claim and email. But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was behind snopes.com. It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop operation that began as a hobby. David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California started the website about 13 years ago and they have no formal background or experience in investigative research.
"

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
oldsparkey said:
seedtick said:
i hope y'all realize that the ONION is a satirical website and does not necessarily publish true stories

Neither does ...Snopes..... :twisted:

" Snopes receives funding from an undisclosed source. The source is undisclosed because Snopes refuses to disclose that source. The Democratic Alliance, a funding channel for uber-Leftist (Marxist) Billionaires (George Soros etc.), direct funds to an "Internet Propaganda Arm" pushing these views.

I wouldn't believe anything I read on the internet without reservation, including at snopes.com. However, from about 1990 - 1995, I used to read a Usenet news group called "alt.folklore.urban". Mikkelson's username at that time was "snopes", and he helped edit the group's FAQ (and trolled quite a bit, but that was fair game for that group). He may be a liberal and he's definitely a Californian, but he seems to skewer all myths without bias.

As for the source of their money? I'm not sure they need Soros (aka, the boogeyman), given that they run ads, and are the 553rd most busy site in the US, and usually in the top 2000 worldwide.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
oldsparkey said:
As one guy replied to the papers article.... "The alligators were here first and the canals are their territory. That's why we have swimming pools."

Yes, contrast that with the guy attacked by a bear in Kentucky's Red River Gorge:
Scott, an avid hiker who has a property management company in Lexington, said he supports efforts to repopulate the woods with the animals.

"I was chomped on by a bear, and he was a bad bear, but that doesn't speak of all bears," he said.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We need to remember that we are in there living room and not ours. Or to put it another way , we are traveling threw and they live there.

Taking S.C.U.B.A. lessons and talking about the sharks , Duke ( the instructor) put it this way..... We are something new to them and they will take a look now and then , just like you would if you saw one of them walking down the sidewalk near your house.

Chuck.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Yes, until some idiot spoils it for everyone else.

Letter to the Editor said:
In my opinion, the oil spill has impacted the natural balance of the Gulf by displacing large numbers of fish. It has pushed them closer to shore and further east and sharks are following their trail.
In my opinion you made a bad decision to spear on a location known to be frequented by Bull Sharks, and having done so, you then decided to write to the local rag in an attempt to blame your bad decision (that could have turned into something far worse) on the oil spill.

Unfortunately what you also did was raise the risk profile for all the tourists who might dive on the Bridge Rubble for an indeterminate amount of time in the future, and few if any of them will be armed (with either a speargun or bangstick) and able to defend themselves.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Today's paper has an article in it about a guy bitten by a gator and the State of Florida.

Gator, State take bite's out of man.......

A man near Sanford was nailed twice this week....once by a alligator in the back of his truck and then by state wildlife officers who cited him for having the gator.

Seminole County Deputies were called Monday night to the location when someone saw a 3 to 4 foot gator in the back of a truck. The unidentified man was bitten in the hand but declined treatment. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officers took the gator and issued the man a citation.